PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today, I am pleased to announce that I have decluttered:
    - 26 items from the kitchen top shelves, ready for CS
    - 1 item to recycle as it was metal & rusty
    - 5 of DH's garments ready for CS
    - 4 boxes of "what was I thinking?" Christmas cards ready for CS next winter (sale 'bargains' are my downfall)

Tomorrow the decorations come down & I hope to add to the Xmas CS box. Ho-ho-ho.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 December 2011 at 5:37PM
    Options
    I'm definitely up for this - today I've got rid of a huge carrier bag full of rubbish/broken toys from the lounge, vacuumed the front porch, got rid of some odds and ends there and have sorted out the area under the stairs. Got a load of stuff to eb*y to too so that'll keep me busy!

Just downloaded the calendar - looks great and should help me get organised but I'll still need you guys to give me a kick up the proverbial if needed please ;o)
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just popped back to update.

Tackled my wardrobe this afternoon, I have recently lost 2 stones so have a pile of clothes for the charity shop. Dh joined in and I have some very old tshirts which will be used as cleaning cloths and he added to the charity bag. Have sorted a pile of paperwork but it is waiting to be put in the proper places, will do that soon. I have also taken the cushions off one of the sofas and hoovered - found lots of crumbs and a counter - no cash! Nearly forgot cleaned my rucksack out which I use on the days I walk to work, I try and walk 3 out of 5 but it depends on weather and how much stuff I have to take.

Phew got quite a lot done when I see it written down.

Have a lovely New Years Eve whatever your plans.

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all.

I can recommend this website (mnmlist by Leo Babauta if I am not allowed to post the link):

http://mnmlist.com/

It certainly is something I have been putting in to practice over the last year and I do feel "clogged up" if I have a lot of things around me, not to mention the money that has been wasted on those things that really do not add any value to my life! Personally I would rather have experiences than possessions, but easier said than done sometimes.

All the best for 2012 xx
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    I have now packed up 7 carrier bags of books & emptied 2 of our 4 bookcases, tomorrow I start on the black hole that is supposed to by my sewing room, I need to clear enough space to get the bed out that is in there & them move the now empty bookcases up to the sewing room.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    Three boxes of stock sorted and priced to go out tomorrow.

Finished knitting a cardi that I have been knitting for about two years now. Sewn up and ready to wear.

Tree still up, but will take down on 2nd Jan.

Happy New Year everyone
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remember no washing clothes, windows, curtains etc tomorrow! Or you'll be washing a life away.
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone. Please may I join?
    I've glanced at previous threads but not signed up so to speak, but really need to keep up motivation. With help from flylady I've kind of managed to be a bit tidier but still have lots to declutter and reorganise. I'm planning to make a larder at the end of my kitchen by building a stud wall and then just lining it with shelves, which should help with the kitchen clutter, especially that which tends to just be moved around the floor as it doesn't fit in the cupboards, stuff like the big sacks of chicken food and sacks of spuds (which I buy cos they're so much cheaper but do get in the way!). DD1 keeps muttering about devaluing the house but as I pointed out I'm not planning to sell and it has to work for me whilst I live here! She doesn't even live here any more either! Anyway going off at a tangent.
    Mum has just [STRIKE]dumped[/STRIKE]handed down a huge box of [STRIKE]carp[/STRIKE]childhood memories! such as school books from my primary school(!) and other goodies, so am going to go through that to start with. Passed on the 'congratulations on the birth of your baby girl' cards to said 'baby girl' who is now 27!! so that's a start... Anyways hope you're all having a Happy New Year's Eve. Be seeing you soon.
    Jaynex
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • PurpleJay
    PurpleJay Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 January 2012 at 9:44AM
    Options
    I am determined we are going to declutter in 2012! Good luck to fellow declutterers!

I have lots of stuff to put on ebay plus we have stuff from my late mum in law's house which we have been going to ebay for the past year (we don't want it but it is to good to give away - you know the type of thing).

Of course, my husband's clutter (he saves, boxes, bits of wood, wires and electrical stuff grrrrr) annoys me more than my own - but I can't really get on to him until I have my own things in order, but maybe I could encourage him to help :)

I want to raise some cash for gym membership and holidays in particular so that should be a good enough incentive really, that and getting my spare room (and other bits of the house back). I paid for last years gym membership from paypal funds raised from Ebay. The past few months I haven't listed anything though. Paperwork is something else I need to sort - I have a cupboard which I shove 'filing' in and occasionally get it out filter out the bits I have files for and put the rest back. There is a lot of stuff like my son's drawings and letters from school now and I need to make a file for these and only keep some of the stuff, not everything he does :) I am also planning to sell decent children's stuff and the NCT nearly new sales which run 2-4 times per year round here. If I ever get time, I will thin out some of the stuff I have stashed in the loft - 'in case we have another baby'. There is boxes of stuff from my little man's first year.

I am going to try to do 15 minutes per day by just picking a room/drawer or cupboard at random and going for it. I am also going to spend at least 5 mins per day trying to keep the island tidy in the kitchen as that is my dumping ground and it would be lovely to have the space to use!

Jane x
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • jenster
    jenster Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Update

Had a start yesterday got DH and DS to help move my bedroom around OMG what a shock seeing so much dust - but that's now gone along with 2 carriers full of rubbish - and all the shoes from the wardrobes that we don't wear any more and haven't for ah erm (years ) LOL in a black sack ready for the dustman this week - so today we carry on sorting the clothes into rubbish then cleaning cloths and some that are suitable for the charity shop

every little helps
    we both hubby and i sat down last night going we did well there :T
    long may it continue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills