PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2011 i made major progress in the house decluttering and selling all our unwanted [STRIKE]tat[/STRIKE] items. I made some progress in the garden but that was put on hold when hubby noticed things were going 'missing'. I dont mean tools or plants or anything valuable but mainly bricks that he had been saving in case one day they would come in useful but they had been there at least 10 years that i can remember. So any work in the garden will have to go slowly.

Any further progress in the house will probably end in divorce as its mainly his stuff but i have pushed a lot of his junk into the sheds where it should be anyway.

Anyway, this year i want to tackle the loft. We dumped a lot of stuff a few months ago but theres still a lot of junk up there that i want to get rid of. My aim is to have an empty loft apart from the Christmas tree. The rest of the stuff i either want to get rid of or find a home for it in the house itself. The reason i want to do this is because we get the occasional small crack in the ceilings and the roof is only a few years old and the rafters were checked when the roof was put on so theres nothing amiss there but i dont think it helps when hubby goes up there to drag down something that has been stored or needs storing.

I am getting closer to my minimalist home (just wish i could say the same for my makeup bag :o)
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I made it to the dump so I can now walk, without risk to life and limb, up and down the hall. I can even dance down it ;)
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Boogey on Rummer :)
  • plzhelpmesave!
    Options
    Anyone who is planning to declutter - START RIGHT NOW!!

I really wanted to start 2012 in a organised house which is clean and clear and not full of 'stuff'.

The last 2 days have been exhausting, but luckily DH was off work and I managed to talk him into it along with a few hours support from a super-clean freak-organised friend - we've transformed most of the house!

We have been brutal for us, and got rid of some things that could have been ebayed/gumtreed/freecycled - but the plan was to get the house sorted as much as possible as quickly as possible, before we lost the bug! The Scrap men came and took anything we left out, so they will deffo have a good new year!

I have spend today doing more cleaning, emptying the living room drawers, tops of kitchen etc and will spend this evening sporting out paperwork....big box of papers that need filing, shredding and completing!

Start with something and you will definatley feel better. We shifted things around the house a bit, put up a few pictures that had been lying around, put the kids wall lights up, swapper daughters bed so the rooms looks bigger...and it really has made a difference.

just need to keep on top of it now ...:-)
  • plzhelpmesave!
    Options
    http://www.mysimplerlife.com/decluttercalendar.htm

2012 calendar available on the site - i just googled it... looks like you need to sign up to emails to get it..
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm sooooo in! OMG my house needs de cluttered from top to bottom. Made a good start on the cupboard of doom in the hall. 4 bin bags of rubbish gone forever.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Count me in - the loft is heaving I'm ashamed to say!!

I have had some small 'set to;s' but need to get on and do a much bigger clear out. At the mo it is cold up there but I need to get it done and either flog it on ebay or car boot; send it to charity and see if it will help them!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Kimsmum
    Kimsmum Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Up early this morning as the Rubbish men were coming as they didnt come on boxing day, and we were allowed to put two extra bin bags seeing they were late so last night I went through the four drawers of doom were everything gets put as theres no where else for them. They are now away with the rubbish men and I now have 1 drawer with things in and three empty drawers.

I am determined to have this house declutter completely even if it takes all year.
    Taking it one day at a time
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Charlies_mum for starting a new thread for 2012. I was part of last year's thread up until November time. Now I am ready to start decluttering again.

Yesterday I finally cleared the sideboard in the hallway where mail received during the last few months were lying and making the hallway looking messy. Also, recipes cut out from magazines have now been put into a leverarch so they will be so much easier to find in the future.

I have told my OH that he has to sort out 100's of magazines that are making the living room looking messy. He has said that some of them will be recycled. Does anyone know if I can put the magazines on Freecycle? I haven't joined freecycle yet but I am thinking of it.

The first decluttering plan for 2012 is to sort out the living room. We need to buy a book shelf so that our boxes with books can be unpacked. Like some of you I also have paperwork to sort out and I am planning to sort out one folder/box etc every weekend.

Happy New Year to you all and good luck with your decluttering.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Becky, people in my local freegle (rather than freecycle) group do list up bunches of magazines, so go for it! Get rid of the junk! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure