Visa/Mastercard Chargeback article discussion

Options

Comments

• katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My parents purchased a garden shed which is faulty (leaking like a sieve within hours of being errected). It was errected and delivered by the company they bought it from, who have refused to come and fix it. They have also refused to come and collect it, and have advised (by email) that they will not supply a return address, nor will they accept the shed back if my parents try to return it.

To return it my parents would need to get someone in to dismantle it and incurr significant courier costs too. If they do that, get the delivery rejected and then have to take it back to their house and lay it all out on the garden floor, are they likely to be OK with the chargeback?

Any other advice? Bank seem to be convinced they can't accept the email rejection and have to get the item dismantled and shipped.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • saversfriend
    Options
    Anna_rhall wrote: »
    I was due to go to pontins on the 27th August after getting married on the 25th.my dad passed away during the early hours of the 26th. We contacted pontins straight away and told them we wouldn't be coming. We had paid half board, for gas/electric and bedding none of it we used. They won't refund or give us a more suitable date. Im wondering if we'd be covered by chargeback as we paid with our natwest visa debit. Any help will be greatly received

Shocking on the part of Pontins. Sadly I think their legal position is OK. The moral position of not allowing you to change your holiday date after a time of bereavement is appalling - especially as they are not fully booked up.

I'd advise Butlins in the future - much nicer than Pontins (based on my 3 hour experience of Pontins and 22 happy years of week long holidays at Butlins). Their customer service is exemplary and I doubt there would be any problem changing dates under these circumstances.

I'm sure BBC Watchdog would be interested in your story. Pontins has made a few appearances recently.
  • oliviaa_2
    Options
    I was looking on gumtree for an iphone.
    I found a great one for sale for £260 i messaged the person and they seemed fine and said they'd post the phone out on the tuesday for next day delivery. I made a bank transfer on monday night for the phone, this wasn't to the person who i was messaging but their 'boss' they gave me the address and 'work address' of their 'boss.'
    However, whenever i try contacting them now there is no reply and the phone hasn't arrived.
    Will i be able to get a visa chargeback?
    I used my visa electron halifax debit card?
    ANY HELP PLEASE?!
    Only 17 and this is like all my wages for the past 2 months gone! :(
    Thankyou
  • alanhanger
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]I ordered from the WAE+ website an LG 42LM615S 3D LED Television for the amount of £435.08 paid for with my debit card on 19 November 2012.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]As they were still unable to confirm a dispatch date two weeks after the promised delivery I cancelled the order by phone on 6 December 2012 and was told that the amount would be credited back to my account within 4-5 working days.[/FONT]

A week later I pressed them to refund the money and was told that complications [FONT=&quot]with their previous payment merchant had affected their ability to process my refund and as a result will need to file a dispute with my bank for the transaction through charge-back.

I spoke to a Debbie on the Halifax 24 hour helpline and was told that charge-back only applied to credit cards and insisted that Martin is wrong in saying that it applies to debit cards.

What should my next step be?
    [/FONT]
  • munchymum
    Options
    I wish I could help the previous posters. My understanding of Chargeback is that it can be invoked when suppliers fail to supply goods. In my case, I cancelled the goods and they have failed to supply a refund within the 30 days specified by the Distance Selling Regulations. They say their bank is denying them access to their funds. I tried to invoke Chargeback with my bank, RBS, but they say it does not apply because I cancelled my order. However, the suppliers are still in breach of contract. Surely Chargeback must provide protection for me?
  • FreddieM
    FreddieM Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 19 December 2012 at 6:09PM
    Options
    My friend bought a convertible car in October, it had a leak from the roof joints and the supplier (who incidentally is 70 miles away) said he'd get it fixed prior to collection. When she bought the car and travelled home, apart from an engine issue, she noticed when it rained that the car still leaked. She has complained to the vehicle supplier who after many phone calls told her to go to a local garage she was was happy with to get it diagnosed. (Total cost of repair is approx £640.00) She took it to a local Peugeot dealer who charged just under £100 just for diagnosis. She sent the report back to the original supplier who then said to bring it back at her own expense and leave it with them to fix. She objected stating the total inconvenience being a shift worker would make it almost impossible. (they weren't even prepared to loan or arrange a courtesy car). She also queried why they suggetsed going to a local dealer to then not allow the dealer to repair the car. They then phoned a week ago saying they are trying to get a repairer locally to her and would get back as soon as the local garage agreed. It seems like shes getting fobbed off to me. Can she claim against her CC for this as she purchased the car using a CC, or is this situation beyond the Section 75 entitlement??? As I txt she still hasn't heard from them
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
  • Nicholarich
    Options
    Hi I need some help my partner has his own business and ordered some screws etc from a Business he paid for them straight away he stated to them that there would be no one at the address of delivery after 2pm, they tried delivering but failed they haven't attempted anymore deliveries at all in 4 weeks so he wants a refund. I contacted the business and they argued the point with me and my partner saying they had it on van ready to deliver but still nothing, the boss of the business phoned to say he would refund the money to us but its been 2 weeks since he said that he has the bank details to transfer the money but still nothing I need some help what can we do. I'm trying to sort this myself as hubby has just lost his father many thanks for the help in advance, my hubby has been in touch with the bank about a chargeback but they said they needed proof of estimated delivery but this was all done verbally over the phone.
  • paulste
    Options
    hello
    any help or advise would be great!!
    i tried to speak to my bank to start a charge back against a company who did not deliver a product.
    the bank tried to fob me off with several fobs
    then they told me they were not responsible due to terms and conditions
    9.6 "You should treat your card like cash in a wallet"

is this a joke?
    payed by using a pre loaded master card debit card amount £60
    thanks in advance!!!
  • Cocorico123
    Options
    Hi, last Tuesday I purchased a gift card from Jessops for my brother's birthday present and less than 24 hours later, as I am sure you all know, they were placed into administration.

As the value was only £25, I can't claim under Section 75, but I heard Paul Lewis from Moneybox on Radio 4 talking about using chargeback to re-coup money paid for gift cards.

I called my bank (FirstDirect) and they told me that this can't be done for gift cards...

Does anyone know who is right?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    Just wanted to let you know that I've received chargeback for a present I ordered before Christmas which never arrived :T

On investigation the company seemed to have gone bust. My local branch of the Coop bank were very helpful, I did chargeback on my debit card, and yesterday the money appeared in my account!

So it does work, one very happy moneysaver here, and a big THANKS to Martin & the team :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback