PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The dangerous wind this week. Self-help

Options

Comments

• Aarons_mummy
    Options
    I'm in Falkirk and it's reaaaaaally windy out there. Really dull too, curtains firmly shut which has the added bonus of not really knowing what it's like out but it's noisy at the very least. Yuk. Stay safe everyone that has to go out.
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    This from a weather forum -

Wind Station on Fairlie Crane, Ayrshire (this is the tall crane located at Fairlie pier and is an automated phone line with continuous updates)
    Last minutes current average wind speed = 74.3mph
    Last minutes maximum wind speed = 81.1mph
  • Cat501
    Cat501 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got a banging headache which I'm putting down to the fast drop in pressure:(
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

The ward I'm in is shaking (new building, quite high up). All trips out have been cancelled :(
  • kit77
    kit77 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    I'm East Dunbartonshire just past the West End of Glasgow and the sun is shinning but it is really picking up here. A few of my neighbours fences are looking as though they are about to topple but had to laugh as one of them has washing out, really hope she has strong pegs lol.

I've closed the blinds and curtains and turned the telly up to drown out the noise. I've given the kids something warm to eat just incase the power goes off and I cant heat anything up (all elec cooker) know where my candles are and the matches.

will post back later to report whats happening. That is if the roof hasn't blown off and picked me and the kids up and whisked us away :rotfl:
    Feb 2012 Grocery Challenge £200/£4.00

Save 12K in 12 months - £12K/£250
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I want to go home to the Highlands. I don't think we ever had red warnings up there. :undecided

Daughter's school is shutting at lunch time and needless to say she's delighted.

I'm just looking at the birds clinging to the feeders outside, it must feel like a fairground ride to them right now the way they are getting blown about. :D

I'm a bit worried about one of our windows. It's double glazed but has a big crack on the inside pain. Happened months ago and LL still hasn't fixed it. I hope the wind doesn't weaken it more.

Keep warm everyone. :beer:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • pauletruth
    pauletruth Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    Options
    we often get storm force and one or two hurricane force winds a year. had one on sunday, does not look good for tonight or tommorrow. we live in shetland. the best thing is just to stay in if something is going to break or blow away you wont be able to stop it. take care and have the radio or tv on to hide the noise.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I`m very far south from bonny scotland but even I have made some preparations. It is always windy here as it comes whistling in from the irish sea and over the estuary and overland, there is no shelter as they are lowlands. I saw the forecast again this morning and I know there will be sharp gusts here, enough to get me a bit worried too especially re powercuts. Big flask is now full of boiling water and I am glad I invested in the expensive thermos a while ago as it keeps it very hot for 8 hours. A good thick pot of soup is on the go now and a very full dishwasher is on. I am also going to keep the house up to temperature, just in case, because everything runs on electric here, even the pellet stove and I think tonight will be cold again

I dreamt of hens last night and I have to blame mardatha. I saw hens blown skywards by the wind but with string tethers on their feet, pegged to the ground at the other end

Its not flipping funny though and I remember my stomach feeling very knotted as I saw the windows rattle and bow when I lived in s wales. I think this wind is going to last about 20 hours but we aren`t going to see much on the news as they are full of the eurozone
  • littlepinky84
    Options
    I am North Ayrshire, schools are closed or closing at 12pm, WInd is really starting to pick up now
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute :whistle:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    I
    I'm a bit worried about one of our windows. It's double glazed but has a big crack on the inside pain. Happened months ago and LL still hasn't fixed it. I hope the wind doesn't weaken it more.

get criss crosses of tape all over it. Masking tape, sellotape, anything even electrical or duct tape.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure