We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What Security do you use?

1…1516182021…264

Comments

  • sirocco72
    sirocco72 Posts: 24 Forumite
    10 Posts
    I use Mac OSX 10.4.5

    Built in firewall
    No spyware to worry about
    No viruses to worry about - but I run a free virus checker ClamXav just in case
    Passwords are all automatically stored in Keychain with 128bit encryption

    :T
  • NicolaJH_2
    NicolaJH_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    I use

    Kerio firewall
    avast antivirus
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    Microsoft Anti-spyware
    Ewido (to detect trojans)
    F-secure blacklight rootkit detector (free beta version)
    Winpatrol

    I also have a hardware firewall in my router and I use Opera or Firefox for browsing.
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    For the first time this PC is going to be connected to another on ethernet, prob not wirelessly via a belkin router. We were told ethernet is safer for online banking especially.
    This PC has NAV but is riddled with various *things* thanks to its time in France where ISP CD installed software has rendered OE unusable and the clock runs on GMT+1. PC runs fine but needs a clean up.Suggested idiot proof software please?! I am worried, sorry if this is a dumb question,that it can 'infect' the second PC when it arrives. Is this possible?

    Thank you.
    I know nada about PCs :eek:
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    I use Zone Alarm Pro, Windows Defender and occasionally Sbybot and I use the Avira Anti Virus programme.
  • My setup is quite similar to Fran's (the original poster) one. I use:

    - Windows Update: SP1 + all Security and Cumulative Updates
    - 3rd party security fixes: Script Defender, DCOMbobulator, UnPlug n' Pray
    - Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall
    - Anti-virus: avast
    - Anti-trojan: ewido
    - Spyware tools: SpywareBlaster, Spybot - Search & Destroy, CWShredder
    - Browser: Firefox

    My computer has been free of viruses and trojans for the last 6 years and free of spyware since the birth of spyware.
    The true cost of something is what you give up to get it.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,279 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    My setup is quite similar to Fran's (the original poster) one.
    I have changed the set up since then a bit.

    I now have:

    Router firewall
    AVG free edition antivirus
    Ewido
    Prevx
    Spywareblaster
    I use Opera browser mostly

    That's it at the moment! It seems ok too. :T
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • hey folks
    I was planning on downloading avast but am a bit confused what one to download (there are a few to choose from!), I'm only after the anti virus software!
    :santa2:
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,279 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Fran wrote:

    thanks! you're a star!
    :santa2:
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Can someone tell me the web address to download the AVG Free Edition?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.