Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW £2!!

Options

Comments

• pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    Options
    I baked mine in a 7" sqaure tin and it took nearly 5 hours!!! removed the paper from the top for the last 45 mins and stood the tin on some brown paper in the oven (apar helps to prevent bottom burning - or so mother said !!! ;))

It does, i used brown paper on the bottom all the way through, and some on the top, I ignore the bit about making a circle and putting a whole in it.

Mine only took 4 hours and for an hour of that my cheeky monkeys turned the oven down to 60 degrees.

Remember that once you take it out of the oven to leave it in its tin it WILL continue to cook as its still hot.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    Options
    My cake is officially destroyed!! Burnt all around the edges and inedible. (Am trying to trim but it's too crumbly!). So shall I try another one or be grateful for the foresight that led me to buy one half price in M & S?!

PS. Am I the only person who has managed to ruin one of these so far?

I got an M&S one too.

Can you crumble up the cake, removing the damaged bits. Then roll the crumbled cake into small balls, dip in chocolate or icing and add sprinkles to make a totally random christmas cake nibble.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • didier
    didier Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Waitrose have now reduced their Delia Christmas Cake mix to £7.50. It is not quite as good an offer and doesn't include the icing.
  • Picasso7
    Picasso7 Posts: 4,038 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone tried going through the checkout with one of these and one of the price drop coupons giving you £1 off wys £2.50 on cakes and puddings? Am contemplating returning my two and buying them back again... What do you think?
  • MrsMop
    MrsMop Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Seen some Whitworths christmas cake mixes in Morrissons today for £5 also reduced from £8
    Good Enough Club Member No 39

• BOBBIs_MUMMY
    Options
    Picasso7 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried going through the checkout with one of these and one of the price drop coupons giving you £1 off wys £2.50 on cakes and puddings? Am contemplating returning my two and buying them back again... What do you think?

bought another of the cakes last night and went through self serve scanned the coupon but it wouldn't accept it, supervisor came over its not valid on the cake mixes as they are in the "home baking" section whereas cakes are not!! Thought it was worth a punt but still a good price
  • Picasso7
    Options
    bought another of the cakes last night and went through self serve scanned the coupon but it wouldn't accept it, supervisor came over its not valid on the cake mixes as they are in the "home baking" section whereas cakes are not!! Thought it was worth a punt but still a good price

You're quite right -- it was worth a try! Mind you, the coupons only began to be valid today, so maybe someone else will have a go? It does say 'cake' very firmly on the front and there is nothing on the coupon that says the cake has to be cooked!!
  • BOBBIs_MUMMY
    Options
    Picasso7 wrote: »
    You're quite right -- it was worth a try! Mind you, the coupons only began to be valid today, so maybe someone else will have a go? It does say 'cake' very firmly on the front and there is nothing on the coupon that says the cake has to be cooked!!

Ah right, didn't check the valid dates to be honest!! Yes would be good to hear if someone else uses it with success might then have to go and buy a 3rd!! our local has plenty :o
  • Picasso7
    Options
    Ah right, didn't check the valid dates to be honest!! Yes would be good to hear if someone else uses it with success might then have to go and buy a 3rd!! our local has plenty :o

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • eringreen29
    Options
    baked mine last night in a square tin to make 4 small cakes to give as gifts! after 4 hrs it wasn't cooked and needed to go to bed so turned the oven off and left it in there,its perfect! bought 3 more lol x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure