MSE News: Orange to raise monthly mobile costs

edited 28 November 2011 at 9:23PM in Mobiles
1.1K replies 156.4K views

Replies

• ach5ach5 Forumite
    33 Posts
    and from that site;

Can I cancel my contract because you're increasing my monthly service charge?

No, our Pay Monthly terms and conditions allow us to increase charges by up to the RPI figure in any 12 month period. The increase in the price plan charges is less than the 5.4% rate of inflation as measured by the Retail Price Index (RPI) in October 2011.

We can increase prices at any time on giving proper notice. In this case, the increase is less than the current rate of inflation and our terms and conditions state that we can do this without giving you the right to cancel your contract without paying the disconnection fee.

You'll find the details in section 4.3 and 15.1 here
  • I was just about to start this thread too! Surely this cant be legal, I didnt sign up for a contract £2-4 extra every month! Surely there is some way in which they are breaking their T&C's!
  • shellsuitshellsuit Forumite
    24.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kirstylb wrote: »
    I was just about to start this thread too! Surely this cant be legal, I didnt sign up for a contract £2-4 extra every month! Surely there is some way in which they are breaking their T&C's!

How much is your monthly contract?

You can see how much it will go up by clicking the link in the first post on the thread.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • DUTRDUTR Forumite
    13K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although the other networks may follow, just so glad I left Orange, they were so good when Hans Snook was running the show.
  • Okay slight exaggeration, It's going up by £1.50 per month as it is a £35 per month contract.

Still surely this cant be fair to change your contract midway through! Ive still got 9 months left!
  • Stuart_WStuart_W Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Can I cancel my contract because you're increasing my monthly service charge?
    No, our Pay Monthly terms and conditions allow us to increase charges by up to the RPI figure in any 12 month period. The increase in the price plan charges is less than the 5.4% rate of inflation as measured by the Retail Price Index (RPI) in October 2011.
    We can increase prices at any time on giving proper notice. In this case, the increase is less than the current rate of inflation and our terms and conditions state that we can do this without giving you the right to cancel your contract without paying the disconnection fee.
    You'll find the details in section 4.3 and 15.1 here

No chance of cancelling. :mad: They've already thought of that, and what they says holds true to their T&Cs. This is what we agreed to when we joined. My £5.00/month contract is now £5.21/month. Time to start cutting back.
  • will-he-payitoffwill-he-payitoff Forumite
    755 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Have not had a txt yet, but my increase will only be 96p a month so its hardly going to break the bank.
  • edited 28 November 2011 at 12:11PM
    danjournodanjourno Forumite
    79 Posts
    edited 28 November 2011 at 12:11PM
    Just got my text!

What a con! I'm extremely annoyed (p***ed off is a better word).

Its only about £2 a month extra, but its the principle of it!!

plus.... next month, you'll hear about Orange's record profits or something similar.
  • Last straw with Orange for me. :mad: As soon as my contract is up I'm off!!
  • Me too...like others have said, last straw. I won't be renewing when contract ends
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals