MSE News: Orange to raise monthly mobile costs

edited 28 November 2011 at 9:23PM in Mobiles
1.1K replies 156.4K views

Replies

• Radionotme wrote: »
    To those saying that the rises will be applied pre-discount - wouldn't that effectively mean that the price goes up beyond the official 5.4% inflation measure, thereby allowing you out of your contract?

Or rather, I can't see it being applied pre-discount as there's too obvious a loophole.

I believe that they will calculate the increase using your original tariff then add that increase on to your loyalty price, just a guess though.
  • The price increase is alledgedly due to inflation.

Exactly what are the inflating costs that Orange has to sustain?
    Food Prices - no
    Commodities prices - no
    Energy - maybe?
    Wages - maybe
    Cost of credit/loans - no

Only wages and maybe energy - orange doesn't buy food or commodities. And loans etc should cost less than ever.

Its the only reason they can give customers that sounds ok.
    Its worth noting that the link up with T-mobile has not been successful.........
  • Then take it to a court and argue to toss or seek legal advice from a solicitor on the interpretation of the contract.
  • gjchestergjchester Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    DUTR wrote: »
    Although the other networks may follow

Vodafone did a few months ago adding up to 50p as they "simplified" billing and were vilified too...
  • I have spoken with OfCom and Orange Mobile Executive Office this lunchtime.

OfCom are clear that Section 9.6 of the Telecoms Act 2003 is applicable to all charges and that a service provider must give the option to terminate. These are the customer's rights in law, regardless of what Orange Terms and Conditions are. As the news story says, this price rise in materially detrimental and customers should have the option to terminate.

Orange Mobile Executive Office responded by claiming that that clause of the Act does not apply to monthly tariffs. They also said that their rise had been 'run by' OfCom. I put this point back to OfCom, who were clear that it does apply (it applies to all parts of a pricing structure) and that they had not been consulted.

I am awaiting the written reply from Orange before taking this up with the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS), who would adjudicate on the matter.

Read it for yourself: Scroll to Section 9.6 of the Telecoms Act 2003 on OfCom website (I cannot post links yet, as new user).

Call OfCom - the more, the better 020 7981 3040.

James
  • I think a lot of people would use this as an excuse to get out of their contract so they can upgrade early and get a new phone, same thing happened when t-mobile tried to change the data allowance from 2 or 3gb down to 500mb mid contract.
  • I think at most contracts will increase by £2 a month so why go to all the hassle of trying to cancel when I am pretty certain an extra £1 or so out of your account each month won't exactly break the bank.

Sorry to sound harsh but it sounds like a lot of people here would use this as an excuse to break the contract so they can get a new phone!
  • SuarezSuarez Forumite
    970 Posts
    daleski75 wrote: »
    I think at most contracts will increase by £2 a month so why go to all the hassle of trying to cancel when I am pretty certain an extra £1 or so out of your account each month won't exactly break the bank.

Sorry to sound harsh but it sounds like a lot of people here would use this as an excuse to break the contract so they can get a new phone!

It's not about the money. It's the principal of the matter!
  • It's about the price tag lol
  • WiltWilt Forumite
    79 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    daleski75 wrote: »
    I think at most contracts will increase by £2 a month so why go to all the hassle of trying to cancel when I am pretty certain an extra £1 or so out of your account each month won't exactly break the bank.

There's nothing wrong with terminating a contract when the terms have been broken, whatever the motive is. If Orange wants to keep these people under contract then they're going to have to prove that they can make this change.

Orange would definitely not accept it if customers decided to pay them £2/mo less than the originally agreed line rental cost - for any reason - so why should customers pay Orange £2/mo more?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides