MSE News: Orange to raise monthly mobile costs

Options

Comments

• CSales
    CSales Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Suggest you read this thread. OFCOM have washed their hands of this and CISAS won't even put their big toe in the water. You can write to whoever you like, but you will have as much luck as if you were to write to Santa Claus or the tooth fairy.

No, you can't cancel without paying the contract up.

What about our complaint that Orange haven't even responded within 8 weeks... they're surely in breach of their complaints procedure here so shouldnt that go to ofcom?
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    CSales wrote: »
    What about our complaint that Orange haven't even responded within 8 weeks... they're surely in breach of their complaints procedure here so shouldnt that go to ofcom?

You can try but Ofcom send you back to Orange until you have been through there complaints procedure or Orange issue a Deadlock letter. Given OfCom don;t want to get involved as it's a commercial decision you probably won't get far.

You route is clear, either live with it, or take Orange to court over the matter.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CSales wrote: »

What exactly do you want to achieve? Perhaps they haven't responded. But the information you need is all on this thread.

Yes, you can complain that they haven't responded to your original complaint and Meldrew your life away, but what is really the point?

Many better things to do with your life.
  • CSales
    CSales Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    What exactly do you want to achieve? Perhaps they haven't responded. But the information you need is all on this thread.

Yes, you can complain that they haven't responded to your original complaint and Meldrew your life away, but what is really the point?

Many better things to do with your life.

I'd like to achieve a response to my complaint! Yes like many others I complaint about the price rise, but I also complained that I hadn't had the Best Plan review which I was promised months ago. In order to resolve the complaint, I suggested that they either cancel the contract (which I now know they won't do), cancel the increase for the remainder of the contract term (which I now know they will not do), or conduct their 'best plan' review, which they have failed to do despite notifying me by sms that they were due to do this back in September.

Now I have another complaint that my original complaint (with 10 days left of their 8 weeks) hasnt been dealt with. So they are now in breach of their complaints code. Ofcom it is with that one.

But yes I have monitored this thread and know it wont get cancelled. But Ofcom should really be aware that they aren't providing any customer service here, and I feel I should be compensated for this. whether that be reducing the bill, or cancelling the contract I don't know, but the fact they havent even responded has got my back up even more.
  • Selphie142
    Options
    Sorry to bring up an oldish thread, but I just checked the RPI for January (announced on 14th Feb) which is now 3.9%. Any idea whether we can ask for a discount? Or maybe this nullifies the contract now as the rise was increased by 4.34% and above the current RPI. I assume not on this part as it was within the RPI at the time.

Any advice/tactics very helpful! :)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dont think it matters selphie thats like saying well in 12 months the rpi will rise agAin can i get my money back
    What goes around-comes around
  • Selphie142
    Options
    Aww, shucks. Oh well, was just a thought. :)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did the decent thing. Contract up 3rd March so cancelled and went to Three. Got call from Orange asking why I was leaving, operator did not seem surprised at my reason!
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with Orange for aroun 6 years and also received my price increase text.

I wrote to them within 5 days stating it was to my material detriment and not acceptable. They ignored my letter.

After 8 weeks I contacted CISAS who are a complete waste of time and refused to get involved claiming they don't mediate on business decisions.

I wrote to Orange again who quoted regulation 9.6 to me. I already know of that regulation and that "material detriment" is mentioned in 9.6a only. I told them their interpretation of the regulation was incorrect since 9.6b and 9.6c had nothing to do with material detriment.

today I received another letter from Orange which bordered on rude telling me that "no further communication will be entered into" and if I wish to pursue this then I would be required to seek independent legal advice. They also bizarrely claimed that the price increase was "not a material detriment"

My contract expires in June and I'm another customer Orange have lost.
    There are 3 orange contracts in this household and I'm more than happy to pursue this further but given Ofcom palm it off, CISAS are useless and Orange refuse to back down, who's the next person to contact????

Grateful for any advice.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    darich wrote: »
    I've been with Orange for aroun 6 years and also received my price increase text.

I wrote to them within 5 days stating it was to my material detriment and not acceptable. They ignored my letter.

After 8 weeks I contacted CISAS who are a complete waste of time and refused to get involved claiming they don't mediate on business decisions.

I wrote to Orange again who quoted regulation 9.6 to me. I already know of that regulation and that "material detriment" is mentioned in 9.6a only. I told them their interpretation of the regulation was incorrect since 9.6b and 9.6c had nothing to do with material detriment.

today I received another letter from Orange which bordered on rude telling me that "no further communication will be entered into" and if I wish to pursue this then I would be required to seek independent legal advice. They also bizarrely claimed that the price increase was "not a material detriment"

My contract expires in June and I'm another customer Orange have lost.
    There are 3 orange contracts in this household and I'm more than happy to pursue this further but given Ofcom palm it off, CISAS are useless and Orange refuse to back down, who's the next person to contact????

Grateful for any advice.

The advice is to take your custom elsewhere, the thread has dragged on for long enough and with due respect, not sure why hopefulls thought Orange would change their mind, the loss of 3 contracts is not going to shut orange down, thing is to have some self respect and stop trying to fight the giant, especially when there is not a case to fight :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure