MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should little sis get a holiday too?

Options

Comments

• BertDavey
    Options
    I disagree with most people here, i don't think that system is fair. Either you lower the grades and cheapen the first sisters acheivements, or you keep the same standards knowing full well the little sis cannot achieve the results.

As an older brother i have been told ad infitum that you learn fromt he first and get it right with the second. Doesn't change the fact i worked my a$$ off for something my sister would get as a matter of course.

Instead i think the little sister should be given a target of equal magnitude that her personal aptitude is better suited for. Not grades perhaps but something else she does that the older sister is perhaps not so good at. That way you are rewarding both for excelling in areas they can both realistically excel in.

In my opinion. :o)

Rob
  • Saucepot
    Saucepot Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    Options
    No, the child needs to learn an important life lesson. That the rewards of life are for the top, and the lower orders get nowt.

In jobs, career, university, she will not get the rewards of her sibling, so ensure she understands the unfairness of life.

Not only ought she not get the reward if she fails to get the top grades, but maybe consider beating her too for failure? This ought to motivate her to at least put in the required effort.
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Jenny wrote:
    Should little sis get a holiday too?
    "When Jessica took her GCSEs her parents promised her cash for a holiday if she scored straight As. Jessica's very bright and sailed through her exams, getting the grades no problem without too much problem.

"Yet now it’s her little sister Ashley’s turn. While Ashley works much harder than Jessica, she’s not as naturally academic and has no chance of turning in top marks. Should her parents reduce the grades she needs to achieve to win the holiday because she's done so much work?"
    Certainly not - there shouldn't be partiality when it comes to rewards - afterall that's life and this is one little lesson she could learn in life that reward comes only to the deserving and she has to be competitive. I just meant to give a general observation although there're several instances where influence and affluence too get rewarded.

Looks like I've pretty much repeated you Saucepot :o but then you wouldn't mind :D
  • Imelda
    Imelda Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am the youngest of two sisters, and was always the brighter one.

She got 3 Cs at GCSE and a TV as a present, then she got an N and a U in her A levels and got a holiday.

I got 7 A*, 2 A and 1 B at GCSE, my present? A helium balloon.
    I got 1 A, 1 B and 3Cs at A level, my reward? A b*llocking as I was predicted 5 As and had lost a place at Oxford.....

In fairness my sister has gone on to get a good job and my parents helped me to go through uni so it has all evened out. It did sting at the time though...
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • simonSE15
    simonSE15 Posts: 725 Forumite
    Options
    Saucepot wrote:
    No, the child needs to learn an important life lesson. That the rewards of life are for the top, and the lower orders get nowt.

I agree, straight A's might be deserving of a week in the sun. Whereas C's might be rewarded with a weekend in Margate.
  • wenty
    Options
    Of course the younger daughter should get the same reward as her brighter sister. We're not all of the same ability so as long as both children always do the best they can that should be enough.
    Wenty.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My older sister was promised money for her GCSE results. When it was my turn, my dad promised me money on the same scale as her, but then when I got my results he changed his mind!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• buzz6620
    Options
    Yes definitely, whats good for the goose is good for the gander!:j
  • sluggy1967
    Options
    Imelda wrote:
    I am the youngest of two sisters, and was always the brighter one.

She got 3 Cs at GCSE and a TV as a present, then she got an N and a U in her A levels and got a holiday.

I got 7 A*, 2 A and 1 B at GCSE, my present? A helium balloon.
    I got 1 A, 1 B and 3Cs at A level, my reward? A b*llocking as I was predicted 5 As and had lost a place at Oxford.....

In fairness my sister has gone on to get a good job and my parents helped me to go through uni so it has all evened out. It did sting at the time though...

Sounds to me like too many parents put too much pressure on their kids. Some kids are cut out for Uni, some are better off getting a job.

As a parent, hope & encourage your kids to do the best they can, nothing more, nothing less.

I came from a solid working class family, I was the 1st in my family to go to Uni, not because I was the brightest, but because I was allowed that opportunity in 1985 where clever and motivated kids got the chance. I was never given any incentives by my parents to do well in my O Levels (as they were known then in the dark ages) or my A levels, or my Degree, nor were any of my friends. God how times have changed! I can't imagine any of my friends being bribed by their parents for a tv or whatever - in my day for that you would have been seen as a spoilt brat!
  • meme_3
    meme_3 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Of course little sis should be rewarded for her effort!
    Getting good grades does not necessarily mean that anyone is going to get on in life! I had (almost) straight A's at O and A level (and 2 degrees) but my shy nature was a problem at work until very recently (that's 25 years later). Others with much worse results have progressed much further........ Exam grades are only proof that you can pass exams!
    Mortgage Free in Three - number 94
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family