🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Egglet
    Egglet Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    We mortgaged with Abbey in September, 2004 and remortgaged with Nat West two years later being charged 225 pounds 'sealing fee' from Abbey. Having read your article we phoned the dedicated number, filled in a form and within two weeks received a cheque for 126 pounds - no questions asked. RESULT! Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!:beer:
  • sal7
    sal7 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Left Royal Bank of Scotland in December 2004. Used the number shown in the article and got an instant result! They even checked whether I was entitled to a refund without the account number of my mortgage. All they asked for was name and date of birth. They transfered £150 refund into my current within three days. Result! They are obviously clued up and waiting for the calls. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!
  • Carol_the_Rabbit
    Options
    I've just re-mortgaged away from the Woolwich and realised they wish to charge me £275 final repayment fee when the original document I signed two years ago said £195. I phoned to ask them to alter it but they said they couldn't print a redemption statement with anything other than the current rate. However, they said if I paid that they would refund the difference. When I asked if that would be automatic they said no I would have to phone again and request it back. Needless to say I have lodged a complaint!
  • ladielizzie
    Options
    I read the article and decided to write to Bristol and West; we had exited a mortgagewith them in 2004.

At first they offered £75.00 but i wrote back and said not good enough, referring to this site.

They then wrote back and offered the full £175.00. RESULT.

Very straightforward and took on time at all.

:j
  • Majid_2
    Majid_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Contract stated £50.
    We were charged £100.
    I asked for £50 back.
    Just got a cheque for £63.
    Cost us a stamp, an envelope, a sheet of A4 and about ten minutes: time well spent!

Thanks Martin!
  • rjdg333
    Options
    Moved house in August 2006 switching mortgage from Alliance and Leicester and were charged £295 exit fee. On reading Martin's money tips decided to try and claim some of this back. Used Martin's template and today recieved in the post a cheque for £255!!

Couldn't believe how easy it was. Thanks Martin! :D
    Following this success I'm now going to look into my endowment policies.
  • debtdrinker
    debtdrinker Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Abbey charged me £225 for a deed handling fee - contract said £99 4 years earlier.

I phoned the number provided on this site and hey presto they said they'll refund once I fill out a claim form!

Awaiting claim form but looks positive.
  • cjmccarthy
    Options
    How fab - reclaimed for my husband - £120 received from Standard Life Bank.
    Reclaimed for my Dad - £150 received from BM Solutions.
    Reclaimed for my Mum - £125 received from Bradford & Bingley.

BRILLIANT - thank you very, very much - so easy to do.
  • the_optimist
    the_optimist Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Abbey charged me £225 for a deed handling fee - contract said £99 4 years earlier.

I phoned the number provided on this site and hey presto they said they'll refund once I fill out a claim form!

Awaiting claim form but looks positive.

It will be! I sent my claim form on 24th March and got my cheque today.
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    Chinese Proverb
  • battenburgone
    Options
    I was charged £199 exit fee by the Portman. I rang but was told to write in to their "Focus Group". Within the week, I got a cheque for £109! Well chuffed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport