PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Options

Comments

• katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fellpony, there are no adequate words to say to you but I am so sorry for your loss.

Mum2twomonkeys, sorry to hear about your daughter, I can't imagine what a tough time it is for you.

Kimsmum, happy birthday and I hope your day gets better. Enjoy your chocs!

Gailey, I had a friend like that, in the end I just stopped making the effort. A few months later I got a text invite to an Ann Summers party for her birthday but then her sister wrote on facebook about the party they were having for family / close friends the following day and I hadn't been invited although I had always gone to those things before and knew her family really well.

I decided at that point that I would cut the ties and have realised since then that she really wasn't a good friend at all. Hopefully time and distance will show you that you deserve better friends than her.

Right, think I have caught up. The fire is lit, the cat is sitting on my lap keeping me warm and my lakeland order has turned up so today is pretty good over here. I'm away to start dinner, first day of "healthy eating" and I'm starving :rotfl:
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2012 at 7:47PM
    Options
    So dreadfully sad to hear of the losses of children, and those still fighting horrible disease. But good to hear that some are experiencing good luck - so uplifting!

Esther - as I said, I followed a very strick low-carb diet for more than three years, and I never suffered from dog-breath - and I checked with OH frequently, as I was paranoid about it!

My therory, for what it's worth is that we are all made differently, and what suits some is no good for others - which is why I get cross when Drs insist that there is only one way to tackle excess weight. There are too many failures for that to be true.

You will know pretty quickly if you are going to be able to stick to one diet or another - as soon as you hit the one that makes you feel good within a few days, you will know it's right for you.

Sadly carbs are cheap, but I think that's why we have the obesity crisis - it's too easy to eat far too many of them to fill ourselves up!

Gailey - Just think of it this way - it is your 'friend' that has lost out on your company, and now you have time to spend with people that really count.

Kimsmum - Happy birthday!!! :j:beer:
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • gardenia101
    Options
    Mrs_Chip wrote: »
    Here is an article that explains where we get our energy from and why when you eat a low-carb diet it is important to eat some fat. And explains a bit about how the Inuit diet of no carbs and nearly all fat can be sustained for life (though tbh I don't fancy the whale blubber or the partially-digested stomach contents :eek::eek::eek:).

Reminded me of many long hours spent pouring over Stryer - I hated that booK! Anyone else hate it?

Don't forget that alcohol lowers blood sugar levels :rotfl: (not that I'm recommending it as a treatment :D)
    And I find that looking back at you gives a better view, a better view...
  • Mrs_Chip
    Options
    The most infuriating and ironic thing for me (although really in the long-run a good thing) was that those doing the A diet are allowed spirits - which I had regulary enjoyed pre diet. As soon as I started the diet I totally lost interest in drinking! And really, I have never gone back to it, just have a drink now and then. Shame the same thing cannot be said for chocolate!
  • sleepy-lady
    Options
    Delurking to ask you lovely peeps a question: my best friend is really broke and has asked me if I could give her Mr S vouchers for her birthday next month. I know how much I can afford but I wonder if there is any way to maximise this amount? I looked on ebay but if you add on the postage they are going for face value - why would anyone want to pay that? Many thanks to you all for your inspiring posts.
  • littlecal
    littlecal Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    kimsmum - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!:beer::j:beer: I've been told that all calories consumed on a birthday "disappear" somehow;) so,enjoy the chocolates! xx
    Give without remembering,receive without forgetting.:heart:
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Mrs Chip. I agree about the carbs but also think that convenience/refined food is a big problem with obesity as it is so high fat. Actually it is probably high carb too. Lots of pies, batter covering etc.
    I am currently eating chocholate, lots of it.

Esther x
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Fellpony_2
    Fellpony_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    Happy Birthday Kimsmum, I hope you have had a lovely day x
    You never know how strong you are until you have no other option.
  • Mrs_Chip
    Options
    :rotfl:Fat mixed with lots of carbs is a very bad thing Esther, but it's not the demon it's made out to be if eaten in a sensible balanced way, so we might have to just agree on the efficacy of chocolate!
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Gailey: is your friend the one who had a go at you about your house and children? If so, you're better off without her. On the other hand, if it is someone else who up until a couple of months ago was a good friend, maye she is having problems and doesn't want to share them. I know friends should be able to confide in each other but some things we don't always want to share.

Esther x
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate