We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Real Life MMD: Should I pay extra tenner for hotel blunder?

Options
Former_MSE_Lee
Former_MSE_Lee Posts: 343 Forumite
edited 25 November 2011 at 6:37PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay extra tenner for hotel blunder?

I'm going to a stag and hen do next year for two friends who've decided to stay at quite an expensive hotel for the weekend, and want us to pay them for it in early December. But because less people are coming than they thought, they'll lose part of their deposit for overbooking and have asked us to help out with this cost by paying an additional £10 each. I'm counting the pennies at the moment, and it's bad enough they want to go somewhere fancy, and want money just before Christmas. Should I pay? Or say no and possibly mar our friendships?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• V_Chic_Chick
    Options
    Yes, it's annoying . . . but is it really worth an argument with your friend over a tenner?
  • ollie2001
    Options
    Agree with first poster, £10 is relatively insignificant. Just don't have an extra couple of drinks when you go, £10 saved.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you can't afford to go, then don't go at all. Not only will you not have to pay the £10, you won't have to pay the swanky hotel bill either. Loads saved.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can understand the grumble - weddings are a money pit, and this is the sort of cost the happy couple should just accept and sink. But they haven't.

I too still think you should go though.

But tell them the extra tenner will have to wait until after payday or January's payday, if this truly would ease your cashflow - it's the least they can when it's their fault.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    It's only a tenner to me, if it's a lot to you then have a few less drinks, fags, coffees, chip butties or whatever it is you usually spend your money on. That's what I'd do.... except the chip butties, I'd carry on with them!
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    If the stag do is for a good friend, pay up and celebrate with them. If it's not for a good friend, decide whether you can afford it. After all, that's what others have done if they've since said they're not going.
  • Supa_Savy
    Options
    It is slightly annoying, however it is only £10, is that really worth breaking up your friendship? If you are unable to afford the extra £10 then should you really be going in the stag night in the first place!
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    its 10 quid youll probaly waste more than that on the drinks
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    They overbooked, their mistake, they carry the cost.

Unlikely your friendship will be marred because if less people are going than they anticipated, then it sounds like quite a few of their friends are opting out.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    This is nothing to do with friendship, if you can't afford to go - then don't
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport