We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

growing potatoes in an empty compost bag? (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• janeawej
    Options
    I saw some expensive 'special' bags for growing new potatoes in the garden centre, when I got home I noticed that the open sacks my coal comes in is exactly the same materiel, ok maybe a bit grubby and white not green! so I was thingking of using a couple of these, does anyone know if the coal dust is going to harm the spuds as they are growing? as i dont want to buy seed potatoes and compost and waste it all, Jane
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,568 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Given that we are all good msers here, jolly chortles abounded when I saw p.90 in yesterday's Times magazine. Potato Starter Kit indeed - only £24.95? Heard Bob Flowerdew last week saying that the sprouty growths on old taties can be broken off and potted up now. Have a fair few of these.......
    Sorry, took pic, but don't know how to bring it here. Doesn't copy,cut,paste.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    Poundland have UNWINS seed potatoes at the moment, got DESIREE & BRITISH QUEEN.
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,568 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Find Nadine potatoes if you can - just the best!
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    Options
    janeawej wrote:
    I saw some expensive 'special' bags for growing new potatoes in the garden centre, when I got home I noticed that the open sacks my coal comes in is exactly the same materiel, ok maybe a bit grubby and white not green! so I was thingking of using a couple of these, does anyone know if the coal dust is going to harm the spuds as they are growing? as i dont want to buy seed potatoes and compost and waste it all, Jane

I've no idea about the coal actually but could you turn them inside out? Then I guess it would limit it. I was going to say with the sacks being white that you do have to make sure they are not letting any light in or you spuds will be green and inedible. They do have to be kept very dark.

Just a note about using potatoes from the supermarket. Those potatoes may have been sprayed with goodness knows what and have traces of disease or blight which you could then be transferring to your soil for years and years to come. It's really not the green option.

I got some of the £1 spuds from Poundland, brilliant :)
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
  • clairefun
    Options
    Ooh I'll have a look in Ppoundland too, my mum and my sister have passed their bins on to me this year so I'll have 2 bins of potatoes soon, I'm very excited. Don't know how to choose which varieties to grow though, there's so many!
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    If you're using bins, remember to put drainage holes in the bottom. Put the bin on the lawn and stab inside with a good garden fork.

I would also put a layer of pebbles/stones/shingle in the bottom.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Here's a useful chart showing the qualities of different varieties.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • CazW_2
    CazW_2 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Am i doing this right... I have the black tubs morrisons sell off and also a old black bin... i have bassicly left some potatoes to start sprouting then chopped them in half (both halfs have sprouting bits) then popped the 2 tuters in the tubs... covered with about 4" of compost and popped in the garden... no idea what variety they are tho :S.

I haven't done the black bin crop yet as the small ones were just for the kids to do and the big bin is going to be the main batch.... what variety would do best and what can i start planting now? (i'm impatient..lol)

Caz

Pigs BAck = 1230 points
    Boots Card = £19.42
    Tesco points this 1/4 = 6523
    Tesco Vouchers saved = £65

:beer:
  • bluegiraffe_2
    Options
    Im growing spuds for the first time this year too. Ive got an experiment on the go at the moment - I receive somewhere between five and ten dhl bags through the post each week at work, so Ive turned one inside out, and filled with compost. I had some supermarket tatties I forgot about which sprouted, so I stuck them in and covered with compost. Should be interesting in 10 weeks when I empty the bags!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport