We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

growing potatoes in an empty compost bag? (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• Gabriel-Ernest
    Options
    If you're not chitting, at what point do you plant them? I've just got my delivery of first earlies, second earlies and maincrop, and have been dithering about what to do with them and when. I'm in the London area.
    Touch my food ... Feel my fork!
  • tight_jock
    tight_jock Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    Options
    If you're not chitting, at what point do you plant them? I've just got my delivery of first earlies, second earlies and maincrop, and have been dithering about what to do with them and when. I'm in the London area.

I would always chit them as it gives them a head start. I only leave two sprouts on each tuber and if they are big ones cut them in half for double the seeds.
    First earlies in from early march if weather reasonable. Not sure about seconds but maincrop traditionally on Good Friday so somewhere in the middle.
  • Dukie_Boy
    Dukie_Boy Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    HI
    I watch a experiment about potato growing on a gardening programme
    it proved inconclusive as to which was the best way
    Last week at the RYTON ORGANIC GARDENS was Potato day peopl took
    their own seeds and potatoes and swopped the

Have a look at their web site it's also a good day out, It's just South
    of Coventry on the A45

Good Luck
    Dukie Boy
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anybody????
  • Trishh_2
    Trishh_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had my spuds in egg boxes on the windowsill for a week or so. They're sprouting "chits" well enough, but the spuds themselves have gone green, with the light .... does this mean I'll have to chuck them?

Thanks in advance.

Trish
    :beer:
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No. Green potatoes are only harmful if you eat them. If you don't have your seed potatoes in the light the sprouting bits will become very long and spindly, which is not what you want at all, as they will be weak.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, the potatoes which grow will be fine. The seed which you are chitting rots away.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teapot2 wrote:
    How/where should I keep them in the meantime - any thoughts ie in the dark or light etc etc outside in the shed...... just thinking they might do their own thing anyway?

Hi, yes the shed will be fine, it just needs to be dry and dark. Cold dosn't matter.

Keep the potatoes in the dark, in whichever way suits you. Cardboard box/wrapped in clean rags/pillowcase/envelopes just not plastic, for the same reason you wouldn't keep veggies in plastic.
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    I bought some Maris peer in the garden center as they were marked as earlies - but on looking at a seed brochure I see they are marked as 'second earlies'. Is it too early to chit these? I'll be planting in an old dustbin in a fairly sheltered spot.
    Kaz x
    (Ps thank you to everyone who is sharing their knowledge - I did try asking the people at the garden center as it was a small 'local' one, but no joy)
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • Trishh_2
    Trishh_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys, glad to hear that!

Thought I must have left them on the windowsill too long :rolleyes:

I'm having a go at spuds, carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes, all in containers... and I've bought a raspberry bush/plant to try in the garden as well.

Can't wait till the weather gets better :D

Thanks again for your help :beer:

Trish
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts