We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

growing potatoes in an empty compost bag? (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    I've a couple of sheltered spots in my garden - but they don't get much sunlight... Would they be good spots as it's warmer there - or should I aim for sunnier areas even though they're less protected?
    Like you Wurzle our shed does get hot in the summer - but to be honest I can't think of anywhere in the house that doesn't in the summer..... I guess keeping them planted until October ish would be best?
    Blimey - if I'm getting myself tied up in knots over a few spuds in a tub perhaps it's a good thing there weren't any allotments available, lol!
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kazonline wrote:
    Thank you Linda, five it'll be :D
    I called at a small garden center earlier and they were selling seed potatoes by the KG (£1/Kg) As I woun't be able to grow many I thought this might be the cheapest way for me to start, rather than waste the remainder of a bag.
    Is there a variety I could start with that would crop early enough for me to do a second lot in the same barrell(another type)?

Brilliant, look for "First Earlies", they will have a name but that dosn't matter at the moment, just look for these. Full instructions will be on the bag, especially when to harvest.

Then when these are harvested, it will be about June, you could just about plant your "main crop" make sure you wash the dustbin out really well though, maybe buy some Jeyes Fluid for this purpose, you don't need much at a time, so it'll last along time and is really worth doing.
    Kazonline wrote:
    Also I know it's been said that the potatoes keep well in the shed etc, but as I struggle to store shop bought spuds without them going wrinkly/seeding can I really hope to store a crop into the winter, or at least Autumn?

I have the same problem with shop bought one's, I reckon its a question of how long they have been in storage for, in plastic bags, under hot lights etc etc, you get the picture.
    Home grown keep for much much longer, remember when you've dug them up they really are only a day old then.

With the one's you harvest in the autumn, its important to lay them out for a while, outside and kept out of the rain if possible. Only overnight will do, this hardens them up and makes them good for baking or if you boil them, it stops them going mushy.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just bought a big bag of Desiree potatoes from Wilkinsons for £2.79 (I thought a good bargain for anyone who's interested). My question is that now I have them how do I go about chitting them ready for planting and when do I know they are ready for planting?
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get some old egg tray or boxes put one potato in each and the put in a dark place not too warm.
    Look at them every week and when you see them sprout little shoots wait until they are about 1 inch long then plant in the soil.
    Wait until the soil has warmed up a bit or you will just set them back.
    Always check every week cos you dont want the sprouts to get too long
  • richyrich7
    Options
    You need to put them "rose" end upwards ( that's the end with the most eyes ) for best results. I prefer to chit mine in the light as sometimes the shoots get a little brittle in the dark.
    Some people don't bother chitting main crop potatoes, as they find hardly any difference in crop yield. But earlys I definitely would as it can give you a couple of weeks head start, also growing earlys tend to be more cost effective as this is when prices are high in the shops.
    Hope this helps.
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,273 Forumite
    Options
    :j :j Got some seed potatoes yesterday - earlies are Pentland Javelin and have put them in the shed to chit. Also got some later ones which are Charlottes, do I chit them now as well, am assuming they will probably sprout a bit anyway whatever I do? Quite excited now, was a lovely sunny day here but I'm not going to get carried away 'cos I know there's frosty nights forecast.....

Thanks for everyone's advice
  • Boudica
    Boudica Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I've been growing spuds for years but I don't chit them at all. I just dig the trench, fill with damp newspaper on the bottom, then a layer of manure then I put the spuds in. I cover up until the trench is mounded over and them leave alone until harvesting time.

It depends on where you live when you plant them out and also if you have bought first earlies, second earlies, early maincrop or late maincrop.

Hope this helps.
    Lightbulb moment 2/1/07
    First Direct £2500 loan
    John Lewis £200 (card not used since July 2005)
    HFC £350
    Co-Op £5000 (car loan - disabled so needed new wheels as previous car is now scrapped)
    Total debt £8050

DFW by 2010
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teapot2 wrote:
    :j :j Also got some later ones which are Charlottes, do I chit them now as well,

Its been a lovely day hasn't it, I spent some of it laying on the ground at the allotment listerning to the birds. I did do some work, honest.

Anyway I'd wait on chitting the Charlottes, lets say put them to chit about three weeks before you plan to sow them.
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,273 Forumite
    Options
    How/where should I keep them in the meantime - any thoughts ie in the dark or light etc etc outside in the shed...... just thinking they might do their own thing anyway?
  • Lord_Gardener
    Options
    Have experimented with this over the years and found no dofference if you chit or not! We grow our potatoes in old dustbins (with drainage holes), gradually mounding up with compost/manure mix as the plants grow. Keep well watered and should get a bumper crop!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport