PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Options

Comments

• Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear, and I bet you thought it was going to be such a simple little job!
    You never know, it might be fantastic:)
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are mixing by hand then you may find a fork easier. I have a big one that came from my Nans along with a big spoon, she was given them as a wedding present back in the 30's.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hey all a wee bit of advice if you dont mind ( i may be asking this in the wrong place though ... sorry if i am ) ... our current budget for food is £200 a month for two adults ... and to be honest were not always managing on this ... we can sometimes spend more, i have tried everything that i can think of to cut down on our spending on food ...

i buy ingredients and cook ( very little processed food gets bought) i make my own bread, grow my veg ( not an awful lot but i am learning) shop using mysupermarket .co.uk to try and get the cheapest priced food, buy yellow stickered when i can , use seasonal produce etc etc ... am i missing anything?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

Best thing to do is join our regular Grocery Challenge which is always a sticky at the top of the board.

Here's your shortcut :)December 2011 - Grocery Challenge
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    I've just bought gingerbread men from a local baker and want to keep them for visitors on Boxing Day. Will this be ok please and if so, what's the best way to store them? (Thinking ahead in case we get snowed in!)
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Thanks Rosie, I wondered about that but they have icing and smartie style sweets on them. They came in one of those paperbags with white paper on one side cellephane on the other. I've folded it over to size and put them into an old ice cream carton. I could put that in the freezer? I was wondering how people who make them for hampers etc manage?

Can I bump this please? Just to say that I checked some 'bought ones' in a supermarket and the instructions said to place in an airtight container after opening. I'll just have to hope that they aren't soggy by Boxing day...
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • ninnoodle
    Options
    Can you bake tatties in a log / coal fire in the house? I tried this once, wrapped in tinfoil but they turned out rubbish. Not sure if they needed longer or if the fire doesn't get hot enough (like outdoor fires).
  • elantan
    Options
    can anyone help ?

sorry i seem to be asking alot of questions just now:o ... today i made macaroni and cheese for the first time, i followed the instructions for two people but the end result deff would feed more than two ... i think i have another portions left for two but am not sure if i can freeze it or not as it is pasta and when i have frozen pasta before then defrosted for eating it has tasted rank ...

can i freeze macaroni and cheese?

thanks
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I have never frozen it, but I'm sure you can buy it as a frozen ready meal. Rather than chucking it out, bung it in the freezer anyway and then you can give us the answer after you defrost it eventually!!!! Can't do any harm!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Just did a quick Google and loads of people have said that it freezes okay, but defrost before reheating, and reheat in the oven.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • elantan
    Options
    thanks ... maybe that is where i went wrong before ... i microwaved it yikes :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure