Tesco delivered shopping covered in bleach!

Options
My shopping arrived tonight and when i was handed the recipet it was soaked and reeked of bleech.
I pointed this out to the driver and he said he didn't know why and not to worry about the shopping as it wasn't kept with any of the food.
So once he'd left i started unpacking only to discover all the bags were wet and also smelt of bleech. Got to the point where i took out a box of rice krispies to find that the box was so drenched in bleech that it had fallen apart!

I didn't even order any cleaning products-just food so i am really upset that food items were drenched in it that were meant for my kids!

Phoned cs who have told me they can't do anything until the morning as store manager not there. No promice of replacements/refunds, just that they can sort someone to collect it tomorrow when i have been phoned by the store manager. In the mean time i should keep hold of the stuff- i have point blank refused to keep it in my kitchen. So it is currently stinking out and blocking my porch.

I'm concerned that for whatever reason i will end up without the food i ordered in the first place and again that this can happen in the first place.
What should i expect from them tomorrow as i don't want to be fobbed off? :(

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tesco are usually REALLY good at their customer service stuff, so you'll probably get a full refund, and a voucher for free delivery and the inconvenience.

I complained the other day as they didn't deliver the nappies I'd ordered (out of stock), but didn't substitute them either, which was REALLY annoying as it left me without nappies, so they phoned me within 24 hours and refunded my deliver cost so that I could re-order and have them re-delivered.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options
    My shopping arrived tonight and when i was handed the recipet it was soaked and reeked of bleech.
    I pointed this out to the driver and he said he didn't know why and not to worry about the shopping as it wasn't kept with any of the food.
    So once he'd left i started unpacking only to discover all the bags were wet and also smelt of bleech. Got to the point where i took out a box of rice krispies to find that the box was so drenched in bleech that it had fallen apart!

I didn't even order any cleaning products-just food so i am really upset that food items were drenched in it that were meant for my kids!

Phoned cs who have told me they can't do anything until the morning as store manager not there. No promice of replacements/refunds, just that they can sort someone to collect it tomorrow when i have been phoned by the store manager. In the mean time i should keep hold of the stuff- i have point blank refused to keep it in my kitchen. So it is currently stinking out and blocking my porch.

I'm concerned that for whatever reason i will end up without the food i ordered in the first place and again that this can happen in the first place.
    What should i expect from them tomorrow as i don't want to be fobbed off? :(

it may have been wise to check them infront of the driver, but on the plus point if yours were soaked i assume all the deliveries in the van would be the same, so they would of had numerous complaints
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    take some photos for record

they will almost certainly exchange the goods if you have them available for return

may have to wait for a delivery slot though.
  • amandamilner
    Options
    pink shoes which Tesco do you use? We have had the worse continual customer service with them. They are thieves. Im afraid you will have a really fight on your hand to get anything back from them. They once delivered me out of date cream, and when I complained they told me that things like fruit does go off. And when their sliding doors slammed on my boyfriends shoulder prompting him to have 4 osteopathic treatments, they told him he shouldnt have stood in their way. Thieveing !!!!!!!s who care more about their profits than anyone.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pink shoes which Tesco do you use? We have had the worse continual customer service with them. They are thieves. Im afraid you will have a really fight on your hand to get anything back from them. They once delivered me out of date cream, and when I complained they told me that things like fruit does go off. And when their sliding doors slammed on my boyfriends shoulder prompting him to have 4 osteopathic treatments, they told him he shouldnt have stood in their way. Thieveing !!!!!!!s who care more about their profits than anyone.

I cannot see how any of your complaint makes then thieves. Its also a pretty stong work to use against people where you have no proof to substantiate your claim.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As for the OP - wait till the morning and see what they say (if anything I would have done that before posting here).

Accidents happen...
  • lindseykim13
    Options
    Thanks i have taken some photos, shame i can't record the smell. I was thinking though surely this is some sort of health issue too. Surely they are breaking some sort of food safety law? I'm just after a replacement food order-but this is quite worrying-food sitting around in bleech for goodness knows how long then being delivered to customers to eat! Makes me feel horrid and i cannot get the smell off my hands!
  • lindseykim13
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    As for the OP - wait till the morning and see what they say (if anything I would have done that before posting here).

Accidents happen...

Why would i have done that? i wanted to know what to expect from them. It's no good me accepting what they say if they try and fob me off in the morning then post on here. It's a bit late then when they've taken the shopping back etc

I hardly think soaking a van full of food items with bleech is an acceptable accident- sauce maybe, jar of jam- but bleech. Like i said i didn't order bleech so why would i expect my food to be covered in it? If i'd wanted my food items delivered with chemicals i would have ordered some.
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously it was an accident. I used to work in a supermarket and bleach bottle leaks were not uncommon

What has probably happened is that someone ahs rodered bleach which has leaked in the van o nthe way to your house.

Do you want them to give you compensation?
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2011 at 11:02PM
    Options
    !!!!!! i am saying i don't think its acceptable that food items are transported with chemicals- is that so odd?

i don't want compensation i want the food i ordered-not to be fobbed off with a refund. Or be told that it wasn't their fault or some other bs that results in me loosing £50!

Some people are so nasty on the forums these days-i've had food delivered covered in bleech meant for a weeks worth of food. I now have no food- missing £50 of cash- and bags full of reeking food blocking my porch. What exactly did i do wrong coming on here asking for some advice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure