The lengths we go to to save money

Comments

• Two9A
    Two9A Posts: 274 Forumite
    Printing in draft is one of those ideas where I wonder, "why doesn't everyone do this?" My printer (HP) has a FastDraft, where it looks almost exactly like a standard print but with half the ink; I don't think I've bought new cartridges in at least 2 years.

I also set up my home network using equipment that other people sent to me for the cost of postage; I only needed two wireless points, so there wasn't much begging/scraping involved :rotfl:
    Debts (26.3% remaining) - CC/BARC: [strike]2058[/strike] 100.00 @0%; CC/MBNA: [strike]1877.75[/strike] 0.00; Loan/SLC: [strike]10000[/strike] 7901.84 @1.5%; Loan/Per: [strike]1500[/strike] 0.00; Loan/HX: [strike]15000[/strike] 0.00
    Mortgages (94.7% remaining) -
    NW: [strike]92516.94[/strike] 87565.40 @3.19%; HBOS: [strike]65599.57[/strike] 59106.45 @4%, [strike]69251.57[/strike] 68589.97 @3.49%
    Total amount of fail: Dangerous (223263.66)
  • this morning had two letters and the stamps hadnt been through the franking machine! so I took them off the envelopes to re use! mean or what lol!
    Bewitched2761
    debts at 23.1.07 [STRIKE]10,689[/STRIKE]:eek: 1.02.07[STRIKE] 9816 [/STRIKE] 2.04.07 [STRIKE]8630.[/STRIKE] 7.06.07 7200
  • LouieB
    LouieB Posts: 171 Forumite
    this morning had two letters and the stamps hadnt been through the franking machine! so I took them off the envelopes to re use! mean or what lol!

I do exactly the same! :D
    £2.00 Coin saver -£12.00 In Piggy bank - £150 Banked :j
    Boots Points - £2.58
    Quidco - £11.75
    Yougov - £22.25
    Ciao - £8.64
    Ebay - £68.00
    Money For Nothing Challenge- £17.06 :A
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ok well I have:

Given up using fabric conditioner
    Dont iron any of my clothes (and it doesnt show in what I wear to work anyway), thus saving on electricity and my own time lol
    Use soda crystals, cheapo washing powder and a little bit of surf as opposed to all surf (the surf changes as per whats on offer!)
    Only have light on in the room I'm on.
    Never turn hall/landing lights on, I know where I'm going.
    Used old flat pillows to make draught excluders.
    Swill water in jars of sauces to get that little bit extra out.
    Use water from boiling eggs/cleaning out fish tank to water my herb pot.
    Walk everywhere.
    Don't drink
    Also don't go out very much either lol, again saves me money.
    Haven't had take away (that ive paid for) in at least 3 months
    Visit library or get bf to visit his uni library for books for me, local town one is rubbish, for books that I fancy on a whim.
    Ask for anything substantial or luxury for birthdays/christmas
    Got magazine subscription for christmas, and used my quidco account to get money on it too :)
    Chat to friends on msn, much cheaper than meeting up for coffee!

And thats all the ones I'm prepared to admit to lol!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • I've decided to grow my hair, it's rather short at the moment - ie can't tie it back, but am determined to keep with it and thought I might treat myself to the odd intensive conditioner sachet I've seen around for about 99p (or may try and make my own at home) if my hair starts to look sad to give it extra help.

Was due for a cut today but cancelled, doesn't look that bad anyway, so will only go if I think I'm looking dreadful and then will go somewhere for a trim that is much cheaper than normal salon - I do get discount as I've been going for ages, but the girl who usually 'looks after' me is the deputy manager and her cost is quite high anyway.

Had it highlighted before Christmas and it looks ok at the moment, but thought if it starts to look crappy, I'll ask my friend to help me do a home colour to save there too (can't believe what my pr Christmas appointment for cut and colour cost me).
  • iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lol this thread is great!

I do

rinsing out bottles of shampoo/conditioner/was up liqui etc to get the last out.
    Only use 1 washing tablet not 2
    use 1 tea bag for 2 cups of tea (it works, try it!)
    I bargain hunt all the time and never pay full price for clothes. If i see something i want I wait a month or so and then its normally reduced!
    I have shoes / boots re heeled and re soled to get another years wear out of them
    I only have the light on in the room im in
    Heating is only on for the minimum time required.
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • And hubby wears his jeans for at least a week yuk! dont like that one!

Oops..... am obviously a clatty b*tch as mine last a few weeks...... :o

Think my best was in last house - oven had lovely LED time display but too tight to leave switched on - would only switch on & set time when it was up for sale and I was due a viewing :D

Also, I take coffee & tea sachets from hotels when I'm away with work to use when I'm on holiday :o
    Debt 17 12 06 - £7700.:eek: 1st Feb 07 £6903, getting there ;) 1st March 07 £6666 (yikes!) 1st April 07 £6329 17.8% 1st May £6085.48 21%, 1st June £5522.13 28.3%, 1st July £5194.46, 32.54%, 1st Aug £4700, 39%, 1st Sept £4411, 42.7% :j :j:j
    Dreaming of Another Country Club Number 12!!!!!
  • lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    this morning had two letters and the stamps hadnt been through the franking machine! so I took them off the envelopes to re use! mean or what lol!

Not mean at all!! I used to open the office's post every morning and always checked for unfranked stamps. As my old office got tons of post most days, it added up quickly. Moreover, a lot of the stuff sent in were heavy court bundles so you can imagine how post postage was saved!
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Imelda wrote:
    I have grown my hair long too, short hair is so much more maintenance! And don't even get me started on highlights....
    Shoes, I wear a pair of flat pumps everywhere and change into my heels when I get to where I am going, the pumps and bag I have carried my shoes in fit in my handbag (I am only a size 3). This saves on re-heeling costs, it sounds sad but I live & work in London and to reheel even slim heels is £6.
    I have a hole forming in the sole of my favourite boots at the moment, to get them re done will be well over £10, so I just wear them on dry days (praying it doesn't rain/ snow later on....)

This happened to my favourite boots too. I found Woolworths have glue on soles or half soles for between 1.99 and 3.99 depending on what you want. I just cut it to fit and glued it on using superglue as suggested (I already had superglue but stationary box do a good one for 69p). I wear my boots most days to work and they haven't let in water or the recent snow we had. Hope this helps!
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've done lots of things:-

- joined Freecycle (got rid of a rusty old wheelbarrow that my neighbour had dumped in my garden. In return got a lovely facial spa machine)
    - turned my heating back and started replacing my lightbulbs with energy saving ones when I see them in the pound shop (though can someone please tell me how energy efficient the halogen strip bulbs are? I have a floor lamp with one of these bulbs)
    - regularly check my tyre pressure and oil. Also if I'm on the motorway I stick to 65mph as it uses a lot less fuel. If you don't believe me try it. I now get an extra 70 miles minimum out of a tank of petrol using both these tips.
    - I love PoundLand. Don't know why people turn their nose up at it. Got a pretty new pc game in there for my friend's son who was chuffed to bits. Had I bought it in Game or equivalent they were selling the same game for 20 quid..... no contest.
    - I dyed my cream coat as it was looking a bit faded and changed the buttons (Mum gave me these) and ended up with a fab new coat.
    - Buy all my fruit and veg in Lidl's instead of Tesco's as its so much cheaper.
    - started selling on Amazon (not a fortune but every little helps!).
    - stopped drinking fizzy stuff (colourings don't agree with me anyway).
    - stopped being ashamed to use money off vouchers.
    - trying to steer friends into days out away from shops so that theirs no temptation to buy yet another pair of shoes I don't need!
    - Using up all my cleaning stuff (I have loads) before opening my new bottle of stardrops.
    - realising that I can bake 6 cakes (and much better quality) for the cost of 1 from the shops.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure