The lengths we go to to save money

Comments

• Well I tried the squahing the loo roll trick and blimey oh riley it works!!!! I am really surprised cos my girls go through loo roll like t is going out of fashion, we only buy value, but normally we spend £4.00 a month. But every little bit!

SFx
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    To save money I do the following:

Join free trials on online DVD rentals- can be up to 90 days though most are two weeks

Plan a menu for the week before going shopping. Sainsbury's tills often are stupid so that if they have two things in the reduced items which are buy one get one free then the till will still take off the full price. in the past I have had scones for pennies. Buy the basic range. Though I do buy bulk of food at Iceland.

Don't shop at cheap but poor quality places- end up having to throw away stuff as it taste crap....false economy

Only use cash when shopping and only get out what can afford to spend.

Send off for every freebie going, even if not good for you could be a handy present.

Always ask for samples when buying cosmetics. never buy mascara/ lippie or moisturiser they are in the freebie packs that the likes of boots no 7 do.

When complaining about poor quality crisps etc complain direct to maker you get more back than cost of product and postage.

Sell DVDs etc on Amazon

Have a Mary Kay (cosmetics) party- you get a free make over as part of it and only meant for 3 or 4 people.

Also host body shop party or virgin vie often get freebies as host

When going to London drive, it's cheaper than train.....

Use contract phone rather than PAYG- £12.50 (half price) for 500 free texts per month, plus 150 anytime mins for 6 months so less then 3p at text and after 5p a text plus free phone. Have tried PAYG was a lot more expensive.

Scrounge dinners off relatives

I think that will do for now
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Datlex - what freebie bags that boots do? How do you get them????

Catt xx
  • squiggles wrote: »
    Ive seen a few posts in this thread about people cutting their own hair.How do those ladies (or men) with long hair manage to get it straight and how can they cut the back when they cant see it.Or do they get someone to do it for them??

Thanks in advance :)

I don't do it but I read somewhere once that people with long hair can cut it themselves by tipping their head forward and cutting it upside down - apparently it gives the layers ??? Anyone self hair cutters on here know about this?

Also, does anyone know how good the home hair colours are? I've got one lurking about - but daren't use it. (My hair is kinda brown with hairdressers highlights) Does the home colour stuff cover it all up or do you end up with funny coloured hair? I only have it coloured to cover up the grey and it looks awful at the moment cos I haven't been able to afford it for ages.....
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't do it but I read somewhere once that people with long hair can cut it themselves by tipping their head forward and cutting it upside down - apparently it gives the layers ??? Anyone self hair cutters on here know about this?

Also, does anyone know how good the home hair colours are? I've got one lurking about - but daren't use it. (My hair is kinda brown with hairdressers highlights) Does the home colour stuff cover it all up or do you end up with funny coloured hair? I only have it coloured to cover up the grey and it looks awful at the moment cos I haven't been able to afford it for ages.....

Why not get your hair done at your local college? The students are fully supervised and the lecturer takes over if they think best. But at my local college a cut and colour is 2.50. Only thing is appointments have to be suring weekdays.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Hmm - I've heard of this before - you're probably right - better than turning hair into horrible orange mess!!! lol
  • I taped down the switch inside the fridge with sellotape so that the light doesn't come on when the door is opened!!
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • Can't think of any that haven't already been mentioned......

Have got to say though, thought these were absolute **genius!!** :rotfl: :rotfl:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=4648776&postcount=50

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=4660545&postcount=53

Think you guys are waaaaay more hardcore than me.... ;)

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    I buy cheap painkillers from Wilkinsons or the supermarkets, paracetamol is about 16p for 16 tablets or something daft like that, and ibuprofen is cheap too. I'm not suckered into buying the brands like nurofen, it's all the same stuff. Same with cold and flu medicines, they're basically just paracetamol, I'm not suckered into buying lemsip or beechams just because they've got fancier packaging.

I know it's the same as buying cheap stuff in the supermarket I just thought it deserved a mention because it's a bit different.

I'm all in favour of buying generic paracetamol etc. instead of branded painkillers, but does anywhere do a cheapie decongestant? I am just getting over a bad attack of flu and have found that nothing works to clear my chest except Beechams Flu Plus hot drink sachets. They work out at about 58p per dose, which seems very pricey, but if I want to breath during the night I just have to pay up. Unless anyone can recommend a cheaper substitute.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Jeanann_2
    Jeanann_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    I use cheap supermarket brand creme bath to refill my hand wash bottles - a lot cheaper and just as good. I unwrap all soap and store it in the airing cupboard so that it hardens and lasts longer when used.

Jean
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport