Lulabelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• Hi Lula,

We have a similar problem with Gas/Elec... our fixed rates always seem to end December time so we switch to get another fixed deal. But just after switching it's mid-winter, we pay a few months DDs, get a small level of debit (nothing that can't be made up in the Spring/Summer months) and they up the amount. Then if it's the type of company that do annual return of account credit, we get this in December too when we'd really rather leave it on our account to absorb the higher winter usage!

I haven't been to Malta in over a decade - I remember the place being riddled with cats.
    MFW: Nov 2008 £156k, Jun 2015 £129k, Jun 2017 £114k.
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks MRN, I guess we'll just have to pay the higher amount for ages and see how it goes. Thankfully the higher amounts still aren't too excessive.... We will now be paying £93 per month. The chap I work with told me yesterday that he pays £200 per month, wow!!!!!!

I tend to go to Malta once or twice per year but each time I go it tends to be in the Winter and just for one night, so even though I've probably been there nearly 10 times, I still haven't really seen anything of the place. I've decided that the next time I go it will be during the warmer months and I'll hire a car and spend half a day exploring. I really don't like the place to be honest but perhaps I will change my mind if I actually get to see some it properly.

Well my little Christmas pudding looked very sweet (as did all of the other children) at the Christmas show. We really enjoyed it. DH wanted to go out for tea/dinner afterwards but we all voted to go home instead, so he's feeling disappointed at the moment. He wanted to go for burgers or similar and instead will be having some homemade soup and bread rolls from the freezer.

Thing is if the children are moaning about not wanting to go, its never a good idea as it just wont be enjoyable and then you end up having wasted money and not actually had a nice time.
  • lulabelle1 wrote: »
    Thanks MRN, I guess we'll just have to pay the higher amount for ages and see how it goes. Thankfully the higher amounts still aren't too excessive.... We will now be paying £93 per month. The chap I work with told me yesterday that he pays £200 per month, wow!!!!!!

Wow indeed. We only pay about £48 per month for gas and elec! There's only me and MrMRN though... perhaps with kids it'd be more expensive!
    MFW: Nov 2008 £156k, Jun 2015 £129k, Jun 2017 £114k.
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Had a quick catch up on a couple of diaries and I can see that people are making some MOP's even it's just smaller amounts.... so felt bad and scraped together nearly £27 by "tidying" my accounts and have sent the MOP. It's not a lot but it all helps.

I can't wait to start chipping away at it again properly in the New Year, really need to get it below the 100K mark....
  • megela
    megela Posts: 755 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    lulabelle1 wrote: »

We pay £174 a month for both, we swapped 6 months ago and they recently put it up by £25 to cover extra gas for the heating over winter. They wanted another £26 a month for electric but I argued we wouldn't really use any extra electric over winter.

We have just had a new combi boiler fitted though so hopefully costs will go down, it is an old house which doesn't help either.
    Re-mortgaged 20/04/12 MTiT-T3 No.7
    Start balance £89611.10 + £22500 = £112111.10/Current balance £85436.53
    Original Mortgage Free Date April 2032
    Target Mortgage Free Date July 2022/Currently August 2029 (based on no offset)
    Total overpayments from 20/04/12: £8152.95
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    I was just about to say that I don't think ours is too bad as I work from home all of the time - so I tend to have the heating on during the day when its really cold and of course I have my computer on all day every day etc. Anyway, I realised that i haven't claimed for my utilities allowance on my expenses for last qtr and I can also claim for this qtr, so that's an extra £104 that i will get with my expenses at the end of the month.

Our house is only 6 years old, so we're fairly efficient compared to older houses.....

Such a nightmare with all of the bills increasing - although the water bill has been the same forever and at least the council tax and tv license havent increased for the last few years.

PJ's and pink fluffy dressing gown time now me thinks....
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    megela wrote: »
    We pay £174 a month for both, we swapped 6 months ago and they recently put it up by £25 to cover extra gas for the heating over winter. They wanted another £26 a month for electric but I argued we wouldn't really use any extra electric over winter.

We have just had a new combi boiler fitted though so hopefully costs will go down, it is an old house which doesn't help either.

Older houses just don't seem to retain the warmth so much - people sometimes thing its really hot in my house, but I only ever have the thermostat set to a max of 20. Hopefully your bills will come down and you will be able to get some credit back at some point...
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Wow indeed. We only pay about £48 per month for gas and elec! There's only me and MrMRN though... perhaps with kids it'd be more expensive!

Kids and working from home..... think mine probable averages around £75/£80 per month give and take. I can claim back £52 per qtr via my expenses towards utilities.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    lulabelle1 wrote: »
    felt bad and scraped together nearly £27 by "tidying" my accounts and have sent the MOP. It's not a lot but it all helps.

£27 :eek:., That's not a 'tidy' - in Tilly terms that's a 'hire a skip and clear the whole place out' :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    £27 :eek:., That's not a 'tidy' - in Tilly terms that's a 'hire a skip and clear the whole place out' :rotfl:.

I was feeling a bit inadequate compared to everyone else, so I had to do a major spring clean tidy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure