Lulabelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• Skittle
    Skittle Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with moneycurious about the satin paint on woodwork. It looks so much nicer than gloss and doesn't seem to chip in the same way gloss can.

Glad you're enjoying your new carpets, we are desperate for new ones but have been putting it off because of cost/cats/children, but don't think we can put it off much longer. Trouble is our house is open plan so can't do one room at a time.

Have a good relaxing weekend :)
    Mortgage currently £89,663
    On the road to mortgage freedom :D

• lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the tips re satin paint Money/Skittle - My painting man will be here soon so will ask him about it - hopefully we could get away with doing a bit at a time - trouble is one bit of woodwork leads to the next and before you know it you need to do it all!

Skittle - we were the same, I vowed not to get new carpets until our cat was no longer with us and ds2 was older.... they ended up in such a state that I was about how bad they were on the stairs - our front door opens on to the stairs - so very noticeable. I'm pleased we've done it but we're currently placing bets on how will be responsible for the first spillage and when it will happen.

Quick question - would it be OK to paint over the current gloss with satin paint? I've no idea about these things.

Good luck with the ebaying Skittle - it's a pita, but worth it when the money comes through. Selling the two bags has paid for a little more half the total cost of the carpets. I've sold some other bits and pieces here and there in the last few weeks and that covers the cost of some presents that I had to buy.

I hate that I haven't done any MOP's in Nov and wont be in Dec - but the work we're doing is well over due and it's investment in to being content with our current house and not looking in to moving, which lets face it, would be much more expensive and stressful.

Advent calendars are still in the loft and I need to go to the shops (and look around the cupboards) for sweets to put in them. We bought some lovely wooden advent calendars from John Lewis a few years ago and fill them up each year..... we're a bit disorganised this year but hopefully we can get them down when Dh comes back from work this afternoon....

Happy weekend fellow MFW's!! L xx
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Agree on the satin (I was using gloss as a generic term). We've got satin now and it looks good - painted over the gloss after rubbing down.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 87% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Ok - we're kind of sorted. We're going for Eggshell White and I'm doing all of the woodwork in the house!! It was just impossible to decide which bits should and shouldn't be done so I decided that we would do the whole lot. We've had the house since it was built 7 years ago, so if it the paintwork lasts another 7 years, then its money well spent.

I've bought a couple of sample pots for the walls on the hall/stairs/landing - string and dorset cream...... I've got various big splodges everywhere and am waiting for them to dry so that i can apply another coat.

I also bought a couple of tins of each because Homebase has 15% off this weekend. I will return the colour that we decide against.

Mr Painting man will come on Tuesday and hopefully be finished by the weekend which is when my sister will arrive for the weekend.

We could do with another couple of rooms being painted, but they will wait until the new year.

I guess if we were to be really MS, then we would paint ourselves but we're both working all of the time and are pretty useless at painting. Makes sense to get a man in to do the job. He's brilliant, efficient and not expensive, so money well spent..... Plus, with having the new carpets down, it's best that DH and I aren't let use with paint!!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning using something else to traditional gloss, it was something that hadn't even crossed my mind. I think it will look nicer and it will have a more hardwearing finish too, so many thanks!!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Well, I don't think either of the two samples are suitable. Bth are lovely but we have virtually no natural light in our hallway, so they appear to be too dark.....

I hotfooted it to home base and bought a further two sample pots.... Farrows cream and green ground. I think we're going to play it safe and go with farrows cream.

Maybe one day if I ever have a big, open, light and airy hallway, then I will be able to go for something a little more dramatic!

Christmas came down from the loft last night, so it's looking lovely in the lounge...

DH is currently planing down all of the upstairs doors as the new carpet has a much deeper pile and it's impossible to open and close some of the doors. Hopefully he doesn't get carried away and take too much off.

Enjoying a Sunday morning coffee in bed and a catch up....
  • nattypants
    nattypants Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Options
    I'm another eggshell fan here, like fortune smiles, I was talking in generic terms of gloss - although always, always eggshell white (well in my last house).

Speaking of my last house, I bought paint for the hall - think it was d*lux light and space and it really did work, my current hallway is so much darker than my old one (despite being of similar shape and size), so when the hallway is stripped and painted (going to go with plaster and emulsion rather than wallpaper), I will be buying similar. F&B paint is my favourite, although pricey.

Enjoy your Sunday - brrrrrr freezing but sun is streaming through my house just now which always puts me in a good mood:)
    February13 - £74990 (or thereabouts)
    MND - Let's go for 2020 'cos it's got a nice ring to it:D
    C'mon nattypants:cool:
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    I've never had F&B paint before, infact, until I read about it on Fortunes thread, I'd never even heard of it. Even just using the samples, I can see that the quality is fantastic - so thick and creamy.

I've painted so many huge splodges now of farrows cream that i don't think I will need the painter to come after all!
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Farrows Cream will look lovely. We have Green Ground in one of our spare bedrooms - very bright but I can see it could be too dark for a hall. You can always add drama and colour with pictures and fabrics. Having our hall done has made the whole house feel tidier and has inspired me to think about tackling the next room (maybe after Christmas though :)).

Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 87% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    After all the discussion on F&B paints, I've sent off for a colour chart as we need to do the hall stairs and landing. I will get a quote for the New Year.

Having two large hounds do mean we need a good quality paint to be ale to wipe it down. We've used Dul&x for years but the quality seems to have changed IMO.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration.

Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts