Lulabelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks peeps, we should have the prices by the this time next week assuming that the structural engineer manages to get round in the week.

We just need to be careful that the cost of it roughly adds the same value to the house.... There are houses exactly the same as ours with the extra floor selling for around £45k more, so really we can't spend more than this on the LC. We won't stay here forever so it's important that we don't spend more than this otherwise we will lose out when we sell.

We have a little ensuite at the moment which I love, but this would be knocked out to make room for new stairs. Our current ensuite is tiny. The shower is so small that you can't really bend over in it without either banging your head or opening the door with your butt.

I am really excited but I'm trying to remain objective and not get my hopes up incase I just end up disappointed.
  • nattypants
    nattypants Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Options
    Hi lula, I meant to say yesterday that newgirly (I'm not sure if you visit her diary?), anyway she is about to embark on a LC.
    February13 - £74990 (or thereabouts)
    MND - Let's go for 2020 'cos it's got a nice ring to it:D
    C'mon nattypants:cool:
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Thanks natty, popped over and had a snoop.......

3 days until pay day. Hoping that we can do better next month. The accounts all ran dry 3 days before payday. Meh!
  • HelenDaveKids
    Options
    i agree Lula about setting a limit about what the extra is worth when resale however it does depend how long you plan to live there. For example if your LC cost 5k more than would be worth but you plan to live there 10 years min, is it worth the money for the luxury?
    We did extend our old house and Im sure we lost a bit when we sold but still think we had our moneys worth and did making selling on a lot easier and quicker. We have also extended this one and spent a lot but hopefully the location and size of plot will make the spend be worthwhile, although TBH this is the forever house so regardless would have still done as is us completely and have yet to see a house that ticks every box but this one.
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Good point HDK.... I'm dubious about how long we will stay here for which is the thing that sticks in my mind in regards to being cautious with ensuring we don't spend more than the value we add. If it boils down to a few grand then we'd just go for it... But if it was closer to say 10, then we'd prob give it a swerve and buy the new bed sheets instead! :)
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Builder man and structural engineer are coming round this evening.....eek!

2 days until pay day.

No account tidies as nothing to tidy.

Dinner tonight spag bol - made the bol yesterday- half in the fridge for dinner and half in the freezer for some other time.

Looks like the sun is coming out to play today.....
  • nattypants
    Options
    Exciting stuff lula - looking forward to hearing how it all goes and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you X
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Thanks Natty

Does anyone know if eBay are doing a free listing thing anytime soon? I've sorted out a few bits to pop on..... deep breath. I hate eBaying.
  • nattypants
    Options
    I'm hoping one materialises this weekend......
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    That would be great - I have a little pile of stuff and if I don't list it soon, it will just end up being sent off to the charity shop.... I can no longer just stash everything in the loft.

Actually, there's a thought - the loft is big enough for 2 big bedrooms and an ensuite, however, it's currently full of "stuff"........ that is going to be such a mare.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure