We are about to pull the purse strings soooo tight!

Options

Comments

• Alice_in_Poorland
    Alice_in_Poorland Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 January 2014 at 11:57AM
    Options
    OHs payday today...yippee. Both cars need petrol, OH and DS2 going to a sports event tonight so unfortunately it will be a late night for them both.

OH called into M0rrisons yesterday to get some milk, bananas etc £7 spend. Also DS3 had some clothes from there which didn't fit, we couldn't get the money back as we didn't have the receipt (they were a gift) but we could exchange them. DS3 doesn't need any 'winter' clothes so going to wait a few weeks and then we can exchange them for some summer stuff.

I'll call and get petrol and cash tonight. (money for childminder, lottery, leisure pot).

OH has stopped walking the dog now, I've asked him why and he can't answer me. Now I can walk the dog myself, not usually a problem but he knows I don't like walking her in the dark on my own. (He can walk her when he comes home from work in the light). Plus he can let her run over the field, I can't do that in the dark!!

They'll be gone by the time I've picked DS3 up and got in. I'm not going to push it at the moment.

I get in between 6.00-6.30pm and we are trying to go to bed at 9.00-9.30pm so its really not leaving me much time in the evening to get things done...and have time to chill.

xx
    DMP with CCCS started Jan12 £34,906 Jan13 £31,893 Jan14 £26,836 Jan15 £21,894 Jan16 £16,839 Jan17 £14,415 Jan19 £12,938ish Jan19 £9,649 Jan20 £6612 Feb 21 0 Self managed from Jan'17
    Jan 18- Bcard1 £0,Bcard2(PRA) £0,C@ptl £0,Ybank,£0,Virgin/MBNA £0,YB1 £0,S@ntader £0,Bcard loan £0,
    DFD - [STRIKE]Jan 2027[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Nov 2018 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]Jan 2019[/STRIKE] - DFD 28 Feb 2021
  • grannyx2
    grannyx2 Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be careful re delaying taking those clothes back to M0rrisons as they may go down in value. Obviously if they've already gone back and you've got a credit note, ignore me :)

Sorry to hear OH is being so unreasonable about the dog. I think he's being very unfair to you and dog and unfortunately think for safety reasons as much as anything you should address this with him. What would he do if you just decided you didn't want to do some of the housework tasks, after all you work too and he's just not playing fair

Granny x
    Targets
    Trip to Australia (On hold until 2022 now) to meet new grandson born jan 21!

Lose 84lbs. Update (minus 65lbs mostly during lockdown as of 18.05.21)

LBM : July 11 - £56,962
    DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3958715/return-to-solvency/p1
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    I walked our dog the other night as I didn't have a chance during the day (ok I was being lazy...) and it wasn't nice. I couldn't let the dog off the lead as he's pretty stupid and wouldn't have found me again and he pulled me all the way round! Since walking duke the other night i've been told that the road i'd walked him down a woman was sexually assaulted two weeks ago whilst walking her dog in the evening! Couldn't believe it so i've not gone again...I've been bringing him on the school runs every day now so at least he's getting 20 minutes 2 times a day. But when DH is home he takes him out for me. I think you should approach your DH about it as granny says xx
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £250.96/300 84%(EF total £1750.96 - 1 month expenses! )~ NSD 3/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £163.36 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £97,285.47
  • Alice_in_Poorland
    Options
    grannyx2 wrote: »
    Be careful re delaying taking those clothes back to M0rrisons as they may go down in value. Obviously if they've already gone back and you've got a credit note, ignore me :)

Sorry to hear OH is being so unreasonable about the dog. I think he's being very unfair to you and dog and unfortunately think for safety reasons as much as anything you should address this with him. What would he do if you just decided you didn't want to do some of the housework tasks, after all you work too and he's just not playing fair

Granny x

Yeah think I'll take them back sooner rather than later. OH could of exchanged them but he didn't know what to pick.:o

I do need to sort the dog out. We've played ball in the garden for 20minutes with the outside light on (blimey it's cold), she's now asleep in her bed do that's her sorted........for now.:(
    I walked our dog the other night as I didn't have a chance during the day (ok I was being lazy...) and it wasn't nice. I couldn't let the dog off the lead as he's pretty stupid and wouldn't have found me again and he pulled me all the way round! Since walking duke the other night i've been told that the road i'd walked him down a woman was sexually assaulted two weeks ago whilst walking her dog in the evening! Couldn't believe it so i've not gone again...I've been bringing him on the school runs every day now so at least he's getting 20 minutes 2 times a day. But when DH is home he takes him out for me. I think you should approach your DH about it as granny says xx

That's terrible, your just not safe anywhere these days. The only good thing is our dog is quite big (and has a massive bark) but I still don't feel safe.

When I mentioned it he just looks at me and either doesn't say anything or just says 'yeah' (that's when I have to bite my tongue). I hope he snaps out of this 'mood' soon.:o

I've put £20 petrol in my car, OHs done the same in the other car, and childminder paid. I took DS3 took mcd's, was going to get him a mcflrry as a treat as he's been so good this week and had a great swimming lesson this week, ended up eating a meal there too. Not very MSE or very healthy...tut tut.

Have done all the ironing tonight, lunches done for tomorrow. Not sure what time OH and DS2 will be back...hope it's not too late,
    OH needs his sleep. ;):o

Xx
    DMP with CCCS started Jan12 £34,906 Jan13 £31,893 Jan14 £26,836 Jan15 £21,894 Jan16 £16,839 Jan17 £14,415 Jan19 £12,938ish Jan19 £9,649 Jan20 £6612 Feb 21 0 Self managed from Jan'17
    Jan 18- Bcard1 £0,Bcard2(PRA) £0,C@ptl £0,Ybank,£0,Virgin/MBNA £0,YB1 £0,S@ntader £0,Bcard loan £0,
    DFD - [STRIKE]Jan 2027[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Nov 2018 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]Jan 2019[/STRIKE] - DFD 28 Feb 2021
  • Alice_in_Poorland
    Options
    They didn't get back until 10.30ish so OH really struggled to get up this morning, lots of huffing and puffing which I ignored.

On their way home the car lost power and the engine started to make a tapping sound, no warning lights came on so OH limped the car home at 20 mph. When he got back and told me my first reaction was 'why didn't you stop and call the @@', his reply was he just wanted to get home! Understandable but even so no idea how much damage it's done to the engine. The engine was very hot when they got back home and there is mucky yellow stuff inside when you take the oil cap off.

I've left it with him to call the garage and see what they say. :(

Xx
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    Oh no to the car :( is it due a service? Ours is a pretty old car and if we miss the regular service it starts coughing and making noises which are usually put right pretty quickly after a service. I hope it's nothing serious as you could do without that. Do you have a contingency fund for the car at all?

Aside from that I hope you have a good day xx
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £250.96/300 84%(EF total £1750.96 - 1 month expenses! )~ NSD 3/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £163.36 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £97,285.47
  • Alice_in_Poorland
    Options
    Oh no to the car :( is it due a service? Ours is a pretty old car and if we miss the regular service it starts coughing and making noises which are usually put right pretty quickly after a service. I hope it's nothing serious as you could do without that. Do you have a contingency fund for the car at all?

Aside from that I hope you have a good day xx

Unfortunately DF(w) we don't have a contingency fund for the car. We had to pay to have the brakes done on the other car last week and haven't recovered from Christmas spends.

I'm just waiting, OH hasn't called me to say he's spoken to the garage..........but he hasn't asked me for the number either (I didn't think he had it in his phone). I'm not going to hassle him over it.

Just got to get through this afternoon.....then it's the weekend..yippee.

xx
  • gillst_2
    gillst_2 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your car troubles, hopefully it will not be too expensive to put right. I hope you do not mind me saying, and I know others have also mentioned this, but it really does sound like your husband is struggling with matters on a day to day basis and could very well be a bit depressed. Have you suggested that he sees his GP? If he is depressed and receives help from his GP he may be able to cope with things a lot better. This will also make life a lot easier for you. I hope you have a lovely weekend.
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Alice theres always something isnt there! Hope the car wont cost too much.
    Dont be walking the dog on your own in the dark, just not worth the risk.
    Awwww lovely to hear you took DS for a treat at McD's, I like treating the kids when theyve been good xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Alice_in_Poorland
    Options
    Oh Alice theres always something isnt there! Hope the car wont cost too much.
    Dont be walking the dog on your own in the dark, just not worth the risk.
    Awwww lovely to hear you took DS for a treat at McD's, I like treating the kids when theyve been good xx

Thanks mummy, the dog has gone without a walk to night, I had enough trouble getting her outside as it was raining so much.

It was lovely just me and DS3, although he's been a little monkey tonight!!
    gillst wrote: »
    I am so sorry to hear about your car troubles, hopefully it will not be too expensive to put right. I hope you do not mind me saying, and I know others have also mentioned this, but it really does sound like your husband is struggling with matters on a day to day basis and could very well be a bit depressed. Have you suggested that he sees his GP? If he is depressed and receives help from his GP he may be able to cope with things a lot better. This will also make life a lot easier for you. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Thank gillst, I have thought the same, something obviously isn't right. It can't just be lack of sleep....although that doesn't help. It would be a real struggle to get him to his GP to be honest. I'm trying the 'slowly slowly catchy monkey' approach at the moment.:o

OH did call me for the garages number, he's dropping it off there on Monday. Although it will have to be towed. But he did say he'd check the plugs tomorrow.:o:)

As we only have 1 car, tonight we had to do a double shuffle to football training. Felt like a taxi just driving round for 2 hours. OH decided he would like a chip butty for supper so ended up getting 2 portion of chips.

Tomorrow hair cuts all round......can't wait, an hours peace and quiet in the hairdressers for me. :D

Hope the rain doesn't spoil the weekend too much for everyone.xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback