🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Countdown to Freedom

Options

Comments

• Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    :eek::eek: all our CP points have gone :eek::eek:

Looks like a phone call to see what's happened on Monday.

Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • version2014
    Options
    You found 2p in the park the other day, oo a bit like the 5p I found that I really wanted to walk into the bank with and OP the mortgage with.

I wonder if you picked up all the coins you found on the floor, wrote it down in a book then put it into the mortgage...how much would those pennies save you.

Hmmm
    MFW: Original December 2041 / Aim January 2028
    Current total overpayments: £0 Mortgage starts Dec 16
    It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. Confucius
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    :eek::eek: all our CP points have gone :eek::eek:

Looks like a phone call to see what's happened on Monday.

Tilly

:eek: fingers crossed for a quick fix. Very worrying.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • PaddyPaws
    Options
    what are CP points Tilly?

Hope you get them back

PP
  • PaddyPaws
    Options
    Meal planning questions/thoughts

Just being nosy here (and hoping i can pinch some of your ideas too!)

So you do your meal planning for a month, do a big monthly shop, batch cook for the freezer at the beginning of the month and then just do top up shops for milk/fruit/veg during the month?

Did you work up to this gradually or just decide to give it a try?

I've just gone from meal planning and shopping weekly to about every 10 or 11 days. Trying it out this month before moving to fortnighly probably next month.

I batch cook as I'm going along, so if we have eg spag bol/cottage pie/curry type meal I make enough for dinner plus 3 or 4 dinners which I freeze. I add them to future meal plans when I put them in the freezer so when I plan future weeks there is usually a couple of meals already listed.

We also have junk food Friday (this was to stop us keep buying take aways). We've got about 6 or 7 "junk food" dinners that we just cycle through week by week. I tend to buy things for this when on offer if they're not completely home made.

I think I need to add your step of browsing the cook books though as we seem to be getting a bit stuck in a rut with some of our meals.

Will give the garlic soup a miss for now :p

PP
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    katsu wrote: »
    :eek: fingers crossed for a quick fix. Very worrying.

Hi Katsu, they've just reappeared. As we are close to payout I was really not happy, but looks like a glitch.

PP, CP is Consumer Pulse, operated by the same people as Sh@p and Sc@n. You detail certain purchases you make into their site and they reward you with points. 10k points = £10. Payable in vouchers. S&S was really productive for us in 2012 and i think i may have documented how much we made but it was around £120. That was by being asked to do additional surveys etc. Once you are inthe habit its really quick to scan your shopping,upload a copy of the receipt and again you earn point pts each week.

PP, I'll respond separately on your menu planning questions as we delayed going volunteering and we're leaving of. I will get back to this afternoon :)

Hi Version, I have a jar and a box in the study and all the coppers go in the jar, then 50p s, go into the box for kids. They go to classes each week and need a 50p piece. 20ps are saved in little pig and £2 and £1 coins are saved in big pig. Goodness I sound mad now :rotfl: Every month I empty the coppers and take them into the bank, they have a machine you chuck them into. Then I OP them. OK it may only be 20p or 50p ish, sometimes a bit more, but as I am in town anyway, there's only my time I'm wasting by paying them in.

Last year all the £1 and £2 were saved up for a memorial lunch to mark the anniversary of losing a relative, and the 20p s I used to buy treats for Xmas.

I feel like I should apologise for coming across as barking, but Mr T and I have wasted so much money in the past, that is never happening again. Every penny off the mortgage positively impacts our daily interest and that is excellent :j:j:j

Best wishes Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tilly to me you sound anything but barking :)

And I am sure to many others here too

Now if you told the outside world your plans you may get looked at like you had two heads ... But here that's normal behaviour lol
  • version2014
    Options
    Hi Katsu, they've just reappeared. As we are close to payout I was really not happy, but looks like a glitch.

PP, CP is Consumer Pulse, operated by the same people as Sh@p and Sc@n. You detail certain purchases you make into their site and they reward you with points. 10k points = £10. Payable in vouchers. S&S was really productive for us in 2012 and i think i may have documented how much we made but it was around £120. That was by being asked to do additional surveys etc. Once you are inthe habit its really quick to scan your shopping,upload a copy of the receipt and again you earn point pts each week.

Best wishes Tilly x

Is there a link to CP or shop and scan anywhere? I would love to join ?

Please and thank you
    MFW: Original December 2041 / Aim January 2028
    Current total overpayments: £0 Mortgage starts Dec 16
    It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. Confucius
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Poor DD and Mr T are really under the weather. These bugs are truly horrible and seem to linger. Garlic soup not eaten as neither were up to anything, however, will try again for lunch.

Not up to anything or just not up to garlic soup ;). Hope they're on the mend soon :).
    No pennies anywhere to OP, although I did find 2p in the park the other day :)

I found 1p in Aldi (got funny looks from a couple when I picked it up :T). Mr GG found a pound in the street but wouldn't give me it :(.

MrT is also looking at cars. This would definitely impact our MF date. I can understand that after 5 years and close to 120k miles it would be good to have a new one but I'd rather keep pushing on. His view is that we have another couple of years with both kids at home, lets have a bigger car in the meantime. He is being practical though and searching for the spec he wants on cars 1 yr old. I have no idea how this will end but could mean going back to 4-5-16. MF just as Mr T hits 48. Can I persuade him to want to be MF whilst still 47 I wonder?

It's a difficult one. I tend to agree on the view that if you need a bigger car you may as well get it NOW and get good use out of it while the children are there.

Now if you told the outside world your plans you may get looked at like you had two heads ... But here that's normal behaviour lol

What she said :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    I share your views on pennies and always pick them up. And, like you, I shudder to think of all the money we have wasted in the past. But, as they say, you can't go back and change your beginning, but you can make sure that the ending is the one you want.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport