PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• K9sandFelines
    Options
    CCW007 said:
    Loving the sound of mystery boxes out of the freezer, I have a few of those too!

Need some ideas for using dried soya mince, only used it once in a fake bolognaise and it wasn't great so any inspiration would be welcome.

Was planning on having stuffed courgette (marrow) for dinner tonight but ran out of time so that may be dinner tomorrow.  Lunch will be the reduced vegan cottage pie I got out of the freezer to make space.
    Loaded fries or savoury mince? 
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    kacie said:
    I've had a real craving for hunters chicken lately, anyone know how to make something similar but vegan? 

Also need to remember to make some hummus tomorrow! 
    Could you use the Linda McCartney Chicken Roast and then slice and add bbq sauce (passata, brown sugar and soya sauce... Cayenne or hot paprika for a bit of heat); and then the rest of the ingredients with vegan alternatives? 
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kacie i make HFWs swede and potato pasties regularly. I use flora instead of butter and 50g of violife extra mature for a bit of umami but you could add marmite or whatever DF cheese. They are very economical.

The recipe is here:

https://www.hearthomemag.co.uk/blog/blog/the-only-two-pasty-recipes-youll-ever-need

There's also an accidentally vegan bean pasty recipe somewhere in the OS archives (linked from grocery challenge). I can't remember where it is but here is a screenshot I took

• K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2021 at 10:34AM
    Options
    Just lost my post. Hate when that happens   :(.
    Can you all spam me with your best and favourite tried and tested iron and vitamin c loaded recipes.
    I know what foods contain them, but someone might come up with a recipe with a combination i may not have thought of.
    For example, one i like is Caribbean Blackbean and Pineapple stew.
    I often miss posts, so if you could tag me that would be better. I am going to go back through this thread, with a fine tooth comb.
    Thanks 😘👍
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Don't really know which of my recipes have lots of iron and vitamin C in them to be honest @K9sandFelines 🙈 if you can pop down some ingredients though I'll see what I can come up with 😉 

Had short grain brown rice (cooked in stock), cranberry nut roast and braised green and runner beans last night for dinner - very simple but very tasty 😊 

I'm having sweet potatoes, hommous and roasted red onions tonight which I will serve with a green salad and green olives marinated with rosemary - looking forward to it! 
    Tilly Tidy Fund 2024: £80.86/£100

Weight loss challenge 2024:
    4/24lbs
    1st quarter starting weight: 9st 13.1lb
    2nd quarter starting weight: 9st 9.2lb
    3rd quarter starting weight: 
    4th quarter starting weight:

GC 2024 - Annual Target: £2712- Running total:£764.12/£2712
    Monthly Target: £226
    Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• CCW007
    CCW007 Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Picked up a fab new cook book recently which is all veggie and vegan tray bakes (even the veggie recipes seem easily adapted to be vegan) so planning on going through the fridge this weekend and planning / doing some batch cooking. 

Got 2.5 aubergines (currently my fave veg) and about 4 recipes I want to try so going to have make some tough decisions!
  • CCW007
    CCW007 Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    CCW007 said:
    Loving the sound of mystery boxes out of the freezer, I have a few of those too!

Need some ideas for using dried soya mince, only used it once in a fake bolognaise and it wasn't great so any inspiration would be welcome.

Was planning on having stuffed courgette (marrow) for dinner tonight but ran out of time so that may be dinner tomorrow.  Lunch will be the reduced vegan cottage pie I got out of the freezer to make space.
    Completely missed your reply - apologies.  Loaded fries sounds great!
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    CCW007 said:
    CCW007 said:

Completely missed your reply - apologies.  Loaded fries sounds great!
    No worries 👍
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Don't really know which of my recipes have lots of iron and vitamin C in them to be honest @K9sandFelines 🙈 if you can pop down some ingredients though I'll see what I can come up with 😉 

Had short grain brown rice (cooked in stock), cranberry nut roast and braised green and runner beans last night for dinner - very simple but very tasty 😊 

I'm having sweet potatoes, hommous and roasted red onions tonight which I will serve with a green salad and green olives marinated with rosemary - looking forward to it! 
    It's okay. I think I am sorted now 😃
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    I've decided that I need more raw veg in my diet so yesterday made a winter salad - parsnips, swede and celeriac all pulsed in the food processor until it resembled rice dressed with lime and mint served on watercress with spicy chickpeas - very tasty! 😊
    Tilly Tidy Fund 2024: £80.86/£100

Weight loss challenge 2024:
    4/24lbs
    1st quarter starting weight: 9st 13.1lb
    2nd quarter starting weight: 9st 9.2lb
    3rd quarter starting weight: 
    4th quarter starting weight:

GC 2024 - Annual Target: £2712- Running total:£764.12/£2712
    Monthly Target: £226
    Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback