PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    @kacie - you could try seitan wrapped in vegan bacon etc - alternatively you could buy a vegan 'chicken' escalope and take the breadcrumb coating off, wrap in vegan bacon and cook it 🤔

Tilly Tidy Fund 2024: £80.86/£100

Weight loss challenge 2024:
    4/24lbs
    1st quarter starting weight: 9st 13.1lb
    2nd quarter starting weight: 9st 9.2lb
    3rd quarter starting weight: 
    4th quarter starting weight:

GC 2024 - Annual Target: £2712- Running total:£764.12/£2712
    Monthly Target: £226
    Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• I've had a couple more freezer surprise boxes this week - one was a seitan curry and the other 'mince' and potatoes in gravy. 

I've also made cabbage beans and rice - chopped an onion and carrot, sautéed in oil for 10 mins, added half a sliced cabbage from the garden and 250ml (approximately- I tend not to measure stuff! 😉) of vegan 'chicken' stock and cooked for about 20mins until the cabbage was reasonably tender. Added 4oz basmati rice and 750ml more of the stock along the black pepper, stirred and cooked down for 15mins, added a tin of drained kidney beans, stirred in and continued to cook for another 5mins. Tastes lovely and very cheap to make! 😉

Tonight I'll finish off the 'mince' stuff with the remaining broccoli from the garden and some braised cabbage as I've still got some of that enormous one left! 😂 

I've worked out that one of my boxes has puy lentils and quinoa in it so I will make some haggis bites from that - they can go in the freezer for snacks 😉

4/24lbs

Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• Haggis bites made - not quite the same as normal as didn't use buckwheat due to the quinoa- but nice and will be useful as snacks or sides 😊

Had vegan 'halloumi' last night - made a dressing from roasted peppers, garlic and balsamic vinegar whizzed together and served with beans, broccoli and salad from the garden. 

We've still got some of the dressing left so I'll pop some chickpeas in it and serve along with some broccoli and braised cabbage that remains so we'll have that tonight.

I may do some cumin fried potatoes and make some hommous later then we can have those tomorrow with salad and whatever remains of the chickpeas 😊

4/24lbs

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have made hummus today using a can of butterbeans - DH prefers it made this way rather than chickpeas; I think it's because it's a softer texture.  Will be using mainly as snacks with crackers and probably some for lunch with veg sticks.

The dressing sounds lovely, might have to pinch that one to try!  Sounds particularly good to go with chickpeas as a side.

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    I like all kinds of bean dips @joedenise! 😊 

It's been a bit crazy over the past 10 days - visitors etc so some stuff bought in for them 😉 However, back on the straight and narrow from tomorrow- I've done the menu plan for the week and written the shopping list, I was going to go to the shops for it tomorrow but have decided to save fuel and money by getting dh to pick it up on the way home 😊 
    A couple of the freezer boxes are part of the plan as I've realised that two of the remaining boxes are beans - one black beans which will go with the black bean and jackfruit chilli and another is cannellini which will go in a rice bake.  I'll post the full menu tomorrow- if items on the shopping list aren't available I'll need to rejig 😉

4/24lbs

• leftatthetrafficlights
    leftatthetrafficlights Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 October 2021 at 8:35PM
    Options
    Woohoo! 🙌 everything on the list was available so this is my menu plan for the week: 

Chickpeas with red pepper and coriander; chargrilled butternut squash slices; fennel & orange salad

Roasted red onions; bloomed wild rice; mango & papaya salsa; leaves

Butternut squash sauté; quinoa; beetroot and apple salad 

Bloomed wild rice with lemon and mint; steamed broccoli and walnuts 

Sweet potato and butternut squash soup; salad

Blackbean & jackfruit chilli; shortgrain brown rice; winter slaw

Warm winter salad with dijon; quinoa with tarragon; date, walnut & chard salad

The majority of the food is from stores/garden - we've had to spend £6 on onions, fennel, garlic, coriander, butternut squash and sweet potatoes. Lunches for me will be the leftovers from the night before 😊

4/24lbs

• Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you take bookings @leftatthetrafficlights ? That all sounds delicious 
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Winter is coming and I'm thinking of making some pasties  for work lunches, any ideas on  fillings, usually do chickpeas and veg, but could use a few different ideas. 
  • CCW007
    CCW007 Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Definitely feeling more autumnal today - can foresee lots of stews. 

OH does 5:2 so two days a week he does his own thing and I don't have to balance omni / vegan meals.  Today is one of his "2" days.

Lunch will be soup and salad with spicy chickpeas and dinner will be courgette, bean and tomato stew with rice and cauliflower. 

I picked up a couple of swedes on Olio yesterday so will make a batch of Thai swede salad for the fridge.
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kacie said:
    Winter is coming and I'm thinking of making some pasties  for work lunches, any ideas on  fillings, usually do chickpeas and veg, but could use a few different ideas. 
    There’s a nice HFW recipe, can’t find the swede recipe online myself, but there are others eg spinach and thyme
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback