🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

"terminate and test 5 No electric sockets" ???

Options

Comments

• zax47
    zax47 Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    andrew-b wrote: »
    Should the installation of a consumer pass it's testing if a 13amp socket is indeed connected to a lighting circuit though? I would hope not.

Yes, there are instances where this is permissable, with the appropriate safeguards, see my longer post above.
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    You

are

the

first

person

to

say

it

is

on

a

ring.

If we must communicate in thick speak.

See above. I hope the experts have clarified it for you & you now know that there was no possible way 5 sockets didn't involve a ring.

But hey. You knew that all along & just want to be rude for the sake of it?

Yeah right....
    Not Again
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    But hey. You knew that all along & just want to be rude for the sake of it?

A well known phrase involving the worlds pot, kettle, and black comes to mind. ;)
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Leif
    Options
    I would have noticed if the cables to the sockets were very thin. They were all twisted wires, and each individual strand was quite thick. I have seen some of the lighting circuit wires in the loft and they are flat grey plastic cable, stapled (or whatever) to the sides of the joists.
  • zax47
    edited 30 October 2011 at 7:56PM
    Options
    zax i understand your post (in fact i started to write a similar post to yours but got diverted away) - though i didn't know a sticker would make it permissable. What i should have asked was: if a 13amp socket (not a 3amp socket) was connected would it pass in the absence of any warning stickers ...or should the electrician slap on a sticker or swap it to a 3amp socket to pass it. Personally (and regardless of what regs permit) i don't think the use of stickers is appropriate as they can be peeled off easily by the uneducated who don't understand the implications..just as a 3amp socket could be wrongly changed to a 13amp socket.

It's not a 3A socket - there is no such thing. It is a 13A BS1363 3 pin socket connected via an FCU fused to 3A - a totally different thing and perfectly permissable. A 13A socket connected DIRECTLY to the lighting circuit without being fused down is NOT permissable.

I didn't actually mention stickers anywhere did I? I said it must be "marked" as "Light Loads ONLY - 3A max". This could be via engraving or by a permanent marker, but a sticker would be fine, we don't (..make that shouldn't) generally use the "office stationery" crap you put on envelopes .... Any decent electrician will have a proper permanent label maker.

Pretty much the only time I ever do this is in the exact circumstance I described, to provide power for light loads in lofts (usually for TV Aerial amps or distribution systems) but it meets the Regs. in every respect.
  • Leif
    Options
    So, thanks to the combined expertise on this forum, I have learnt that they did not need to 'rework' the socket front plates, and that if one of them is on a lighting circuit, which I suspect to be the case (will check), then it is potentially dangerous (wires overheating) and should have failed the certification. Good Lord!

A week before I got this extra bill, I wrote an angry email to the project manager complaining that the electricians had put cables coming out of the walls above and below the cupboards, for the pelmet lights, and the fitter had to pull them out of the wall, and remove one lot, leaving me with holes in the wall beneath the cupboards (which I had to fill and paint to match the newly painted walls :mad:), and that in my view they should have been able to read the detailed surveyers plan, and put the cables in the correct place i.e. behind the cupboards.
  • zax47
    edited 30 October 2011 at 8:38PM
    Options
    I was thinking a 2amp socket like these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/White_Mk_Accessories/Sockets_2_-_5_-_15_Amp/index.html ...without an FCU anywhere in sight. If can be bought you can bet someone will use it wrongly!

2A and 5A are designed for use on a lighting circuit, so perfectly permissable.
  • zax47
    Options
    Leif wrote: »
    So, thanks to the combined expertise on this forum, I have learnt that they did not need to 'rework' the socket front plates, ....

I cannot agree. If you had come along in the middle of my job and messed with it then I'd also be checking your work, re-working where necesssary and charging you extra too.
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    Leif wrote: »
    So, thanks to the combined expertise on this forum, I have learnt that they did not need to 'rework' the socket front plates, and that if one of them is on a lighting circuit, which I suspect to be the case (will check), then it is potentially dangerous (wires overheating) and should have failed the certification. Good Lord!

A week before I got this extra bill, I wrote an angry email to the project manager complaining that the electricians had put cables coming out of the walls above and below the cupboards, for the pelmet lights, and the fitter had to pull them out of the wall, and remove one lot, leaving me with holes in the wall beneath the cupboards (which I had to fill and paint to match the newly painted walls :mad:), and that in my view they should have been able to read the detailed surveyers plan, and put the cables in the correct place i.e. behind the cupboards.

You haven't learnt anything or are taking the micky.

Good luck trying to con the next person who offers you a service.
    Not Again
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    zax47 wrote: »
    I cannot agree. If you had come along in the middle of my job and messed with it then I'd also be checking your work, re-working where necesssary and charging you extra too.

No one agrees apart from the ones who haven't got a clue.
    Not Again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family