Cars on motability scheme are now limited up to AP £2000

Options

Comments

• Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    edited 27 December 2011 at 12:48AM
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »

Alan M, not every disabled person cant get credit if they want it, I have an excellent credit rating and can finance anything I want within reason (not that I do, we have investments and take money from them to finance our vehicles etc.) so dont generalise about us as its bad enough that the gutter press generalise about it without someone who claims to have a disabled wife doing it.

Strange comment fellow, I said the scheme operated and enabled those people who are unable to qualify for credit to get into a new vehicle. I didn't sate anywhere "All disabled people are unable to qualify for credit"

My point made in post #125 was:-

My point being, it's not a free car by any stretch of the imagination - it provides a facility for non credit qualifying people to get in a vehicle.

I guess you've assumed I've made a statement saying all disabled people are not able to qualify for credit by default. Which clearly I haven't.

What the detractors of this scheme are suggesting is as you can clearly afford to buy your own vehicle without any help you shouldn't be given any financial breaks whatsoever, not even VAT relief.

You may want to direct your ire in the right direction.
  • 24skins
    24skins Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a nosey on the motability website and many cars have reduced APs since Jan 1st - most notably Volvo & BMW models; you can now get a 3 series, 1 series convertible or X1 for the maximum £2k advanced payment.

I imagine the manufacturer sets these prices (?) and if so, there must be some advantage to them in having cars available to Motability customers.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
  • moose1982
    moose1982 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    24skins wrote: »
    Just had a nosey on the motability website and many cars have reduced APs since Jan 1st - most notably Volvo & BMW models; you can now get a 3 series, 1 series convertible or X1 for the maximum £2k advanced payment.

I imagine the manufacturer sets these prices (?) and if so, there must be some advantage to them in having cars available to Motability customers.

I noticed more cars are available and I think it could be because of the increase to the DLA in April meaning more money available to Motability to help fund cars which many people found were no longer available, for example the Mondeo wasn't with an automatic gearbox but it is now.
  • moose1982
    moose1982 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Thought I better add that for some reason, cars over the £2k limit are now back. Highest listed (excluding price on application ones) is £9,838 advance payment, that is for a Merc Vito.
  • 24skins
    24skins Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2012 at 9:27PM
    Options
    moose1982 wrote: »
    I noticed more cars are available and I think it could be because of the increase to the DLA in April meaning more money available to Motability to help fund cars which many people found were no longer available, for example the Mondeo wasn't with an automatic gearbox but it is now.

Ah of course, I never considered that the extra money over 3 years could pay for a better car.
    moose1982 wrote: »
    Thought I better add that for some reason, cars over the £2k limit are now back. Highest listed (excluding price on application ones) is £9,838 advance payment, that is for a Merc Vito.

I noticed this too - BMW show APs up to £2k on the Motability site, but their own price list shows cars up to £2500 and my local Motability dealer is showing cars up to £2999. Not sure how they're getting around the £2k limit, but they apparently are.

ETA: The Vito is a WAV so exempt from the £2k limit.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
  • antimagneto
    Options
    Sorry to drift but can anyone answer my dilemma? I get higher rate DLA. Currently I run an old car on lpg. I benefit from free road tax. Which costs the gov't less, my old car and the monthly money, or a free Motability car?
  • ColinFishwick
    Options
    None, Motability scheme is run by a charity, therefore costs the government nothing if you keep you high rate dla or dont. Probably the only thing which may is a new car may be cheaper to run so less tax may be paid on fuel duty. The road tax is free regardless
    Sorry to drift but can anyone answer my dilemma? I get higher rate DLA. Currently I run an old car on lpg. I benefit from free road tax. Which costs the gov't less, my old car and the monthly money, or a free Motability car?
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

It makes no difference to the government. It all boils down to you. Are you happy with your old car and it's running cost and have the monthly payment to spend how you wish or a new car where the only cost will be the fuel and lose part or all of your monthly payment.
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • antimagneto
    Options
    Thank you both for enlightening me. Much appreciated and sorry for the tardy response.
  • rotoguys
    Options
    I've got a Motability car and a kind poster has given me the heads up with this PIP benefit that is coming in next year.

Most people seem to think that only the LRM will go, when in fact a whole shed load of those currently on HRM will probably go as well.

It seems that to get the required points in PIP, you have to show and prove with medical reports that you cannot walk and use a wheelchair unless someone pushes it for you for up to 50 metres.

ie no legs and one arm !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport