Cars on motability scheme are now limited up to AP £2000

Options

Comments

• tatonette
    tatonette Posts: 73 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2011 at 9:59PM
    Options
    G-MIKI wrote: »
    Indeed it is, and I would defend your right to pay it. However, £6k a year is an awful lot to pay to run a car.

Buying second hand can work out an awful lot cheaper in the long run.

Could I ask where you get your £6k figure from?

As far as I am aware the government pays £51.40 a week for my car like it does for everyone else. That works out as being £2672.80 a year.
    Over the three year period they will have paid out on my behalf £8018.40.

With deposits from as little as '0' Motability is a fantastic scheme.
    When you consider that the £8018.40 includes everything except fuel for a £20,000 + car.

If you bought a similar car costing say £20,000, and without even considering any of the running costs, you would lose well over £10,000 in depreciation over the three years alone!

I put a few hundred down and got a beautiful Insignia 2.0 diesel SRI.

As for owning my own car - I did, I sold it to get the Motability one, and banked the £13,000 I got for it from Auto Trader. After the 3 years I will still have my £13,000!!!!
  • G-MIKI
    G-MIKI Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    tatonette wrote: »
    Could I ask where you get your £6k figure from?

As far as I am aware the government pays £51.40 a week for my car like it does for everyone else. That works out as being £2672.80 a year.
    Over the three year period they will have paid out on my behalf £8018.40.

With deposits from as little as '0' Motability is a fantastic scheme.
    When you consider that the £8018.40 includes everything except fuel for a £20,000 + car.

If you bought a similar car costing say £20,000, and without even considering any of the running costs, you would lose well over £10,000 in depreciation over the three years alone!

As for owning my own car - I did, I sold it to get the Motability one, and banked the £13,000 I got for it from Auto Trader. After the 3 years I will still have my £13,000!!!!

Oops - I made the mistake of not checking the previous figures on here. For £6k, read £3.9k per year. Still a lot of money, and the reason I have never had a Motability car.
  • akabee
    akabee Posts: 972 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

Just post helpful info and leave out the trolling crap :naughty:
    I have just got my new Motability car, an Insignia SRI. Given the choice I wanted an X1 BMW, have the money to put down as an advance payment, but missed out because of the stupid £2000 limit.

So went for the opposite and put a couple of hundred down only. Not my choice of car so why would I pay Vauxhall anymore for something that would be my 50th choice of vehicle!

If an Aston DB9 was available, that would be my next car, no matter what the upfront payment was. Let Motability take the hit with depreciation in the first 3 years and buy it from them at the end of the lease - generally for about 45% of the cost when new.

But it will never happen. Just couldn't see the government taking the flak if I turned up for a DWP medical assessment in it, proudly displaying my Blue Badge!!!! LOL
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    G-MIKI wrote: »
    Oops - I made the mistake of not checking the previous figures on here. For £6k, read £3.9k per year. Still a lot of money, and the reason I have never had a Motability car.
    Iam surprised that you think this is a lot of money to have a new car peice of mind that if things go wrong it will be fixed and you will never be without a car i think its worth every penny. Its almost double to lease a car not though mobilty.
  • Denny_Crane
    Options
    A bit late coming to this thread and I have not read the total thraed, but there does seem to be a lot of misconceptions by folks probably not using Motability.

First of all, the cost of the vehcile as described in the Daily Liar, an article they ahev had to subsequently retract, was completly incorrect.
    "£35,000 BMWs" is nonsense. Sure the List price of some of these cars is probably that, but includes, dealer margin, VAT and a raft of other costs.
    Motability is a charity and does not pay VAT, so a 20% reduction in the lict price is the starting point.
    Motability with theuir buying power, the same as with any of the major leasing companies, does not pay list price anyway, they will negotiate special terms due to the volumes.
    This is teh same with tyres, servicing costs and all other payments, all ex VAT.
    The cost of the car is worked out the same way as any lease which the majority of nrew cars are bought on in the UK today, purchase price, depreciation, resale value etc etc.
    The difference between the resale value and the money collected in monthly rental is the actual Advanced payment, which can be anywhare between zero and up to £14,000.
    Unlike other leasing schemes, the advanced payment costs are paid for by the leasee and they see zero return on this money, wheras thsose of you who take out a private lease will have equity within the vehicle at the time of change.
    What the Motability customer chooses to spend his/her savings on should be their choice, not dictated to by The Daily Liar and those who "know someone who knoes someone who gets a £50,000 range Rover on Motability but is not disabled" gang.
    Its always easy to just look at someone and decide they are not disabled, why have doctors at all with such inciteful people.
    The fact that a car has a Blue Badge in its widscreen and is, for example, a Discovery HSE does NOT mean its a Motability vehicle! Only 30% of those awarded the Higher rate of DLA actually take part in tyhe scheme but again, why let the truth get in the way of a good story down the pub eh?
    The Higher rate of DLA is for support to those who need extra help getting around and these changes will not effect that cost to the taxpayer one iota, in fact, by making Motabilityn customers choose smaller lower spec cars, means that when they come to resell thses cars, the moeny that can be then poughed into support for people who need extar cost support (WAVs for example) will be less (Simple maths, people want better spec cars as second hand ones, or pay less for lower spec cars)
    There is no extar cost to the taxpayer if a leasee wnats a Titainium S-max compared to the Zetec, the whole extra cost is borne by the Motability customer.
    At no point did Motability say that the limit on car cost would be £25,000, that again is an inferance by the lazy journalists at the rags such as the Daily Liar.
    What it has done, however, is make those of us who if going into the Motability scheme, and need automatic cars (I have Charcot foot which means I cannot drive a manual anymore) are second class Motability customers. As with any lease, the cost of an automatic compared to a manual is always more and by imposing a cap of £2,000 of MY MONEY on the lease, m3eans the choice of vehicles is less and of a lower spec than manual motability customres, for exapmple, there are eight versions of the Ford Mondeo in manual version under £2,000, but ZERO automatics and this is the same for all types of vehicles available.
    These changes imposed by the Daily liar and the Government, will have zero effect on the cost to the taxpayer and are just a mean dispirited attitude of this ConDemed alliance (And I speak as an ex Conservative Councillor of 20 years standing)
    The reduction in cost to the taxpayer, (so it can be spent on MPs expenses perhaps, and by the way, did you know they get a preferential leasing scheme for cars which makes Motability look expensive!), will occur with the introduction of the PIP
  • tatonette
    Options
    dave030445 wrote: »
    Iam surprised that you think this is a lot of money to have a new car peice of mind that if things go wrong it will be fixed and you will never be without a car i think its worth every penny. Its almost double to lease a car not though mobilty.

The other poster still has it wrong!! The correct figure as I have quoted before is £2672 a year.
  • tatonette
    Options
    A bit late coming to this thread and I have not read the total thraed, but there does seem to be a lot of misconceptions by folks probably not using Motability.

First of all, the cost of the vehcile as described in the Daily Liar, an article they ahev had to subsequently retract, was completly incorrect.
    "£35,000 BMWs" is nonsense. Sure the List price of some of these cars is probably that, but includes, dealer margin, VAT and a raft of other costs.
    Motability is a charity and does not pay VAT, so a 20% reduction in the lict price is the starting point.
    Motability with theuir buying power, the same as with any of the major leasing companies, does not pay list price anyway, they will negotiate special terms due to the volumes.
    This is teh same with tyres, servicing costs and all other payments, all ex VAT.
    The cost of the car is worked out the same way as any lease which the majority of nrew cars are bought on in the UK today, purchase price, depreciation, resale value etc etc.
    The difference between the resale value and the money collected in monthly rental is the actual Advanced payment, which can be anywhare between zero and up to £14,000.
    Unlike other leasing schemes, the advanced payment costs are paid for by the leasee and they see zero return on this money, wheras thsose of you who take out a private lease will have equity within the vehicle at the time of change.
    What the Motability customer chooses to spend his/her savings on should be their choice, not dictated to by The Daily Liar and those who "know someone who knoes someone who gets a £50,000 range Rover on Motability but is not disabled" gang.
    Its always easy to just look at someone and decide they are not disabled, why have doctors at all with such inciteful people.
    The fact that a car has a Blue Badge in its widscreen and is, for example, a Discovery HSE does NOT mean its a Motability vehicle! Only 30% of those awarded the Higher rate of DLA actually take part in tyhe scheme but again, why let the truth get in the way of a good story down the pub eh?
    The Higher rate of DLA is for support to those who need extra help getting around and these changes will not effect that cost to the taxpayer one iota, in fact, by making Motabilityn customers choose smaller lower spec cars, means that when they come to resell thses cars, the moeny that can be then poughed into support for people who need extar cost support (WAVs for example) will be less (Simple maths, people want better spec cars as second hand ones, or pay less for lower spec cars)
    There is no extar cost to the taxpayer if a leasee wnats a Titainium S-max compared to the Zetec, the whole extra cost is borne by the Motability customer.
    At no point did Motability say that the limit on car cost would be £25,000, that again is an inferance by the lazy journalists at the rags such as the Daily Liar.
    What it has done, however, is make those of us who if going into the Motability scheme, and need automatic cars (I have Charcot foot which means I cannot drive a manual anymore) are second class Motability customers. As with any lease, the cost of an automatic compared to a manual is always more and by imposing a cap of £2,000 of MY MONEY on the lease, m3eans the choice of vehicles is less and of a lower spec than manual motability customres, for exapmple, there are eight versions of the Ford Mondeo in manual version under £2,000, but ZERO automatics and this is the same for all types of vehicles available.
    These changes imposed by the Daily liar and the Government, will have zero effect on the cost to the taxpayer and are just a mean dispirited attitude of this ConDemed alliance (And I speak as an ex Conservative Councillor of 20 years standing)
    The reduction in cost to the taxpayer, (so it can be spent on MPs expenses perhaps, and by the way, did you know they get a preferential leasing scheme for cars which makes Motability look expensive!), will occur with the introduction of the PIP

Thank you and well put.

Hopefully that will make those that have no idea of how the scheme actually works, sit up and take note! Mind you I doubt it, most are bigotts.

And I can agree with you as regards the MP's and dare I say, senior civil servants; they do have a scheme that makes Motability look like a back street loan shark!

As another example in that vain, civil servants & MP's whether they use 1st or standard class travel on trains - which all depends on pay grade, NEVER buy a discounted, advance or off peak ticket. When I worked for the civil service, I travelled to Birmingham from London and back in a day regularly - and bought a normal return ticket at the cost of over £300 courtesy of the governments account with Train line.com!!!! The weekly cost to the taxpayers was £1500 a week.
  • bloss0m
    bloss0m Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 December 2011 at 11:54AM
    Options
    Yes so that's £8016 over the 3 years lease so as Denny said they lost that money unlike other leases where it may cost you more per week but you have have accrued some capital

I blame the media for stirring up misinformation mealy to make a good story on a slow news day
    The other poster still has it wrong!! The correct figure as I have quoted before is £2672 a year.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2011 at 12:44PM
    Options
    7 people clicking your thanks button, it will come as no surprise to the group that I disagree with your [STRIKE]mis[/STRIKE]use of the Motabilty scheme to display your avarice. Many people in this group have bought cars via the scheme at £35k or so because they wanted a Chrysler Voyager / Panavan / etc for the automatic side or rear wheelchair loading / ramp / winch / facilities they offer for the disabled user.

Your reason, and there are others in the group that have the same motivation, was simply because you could have a big flash [ based not on need but greed ] MOTA for half the price of a cheapo 1300cc Clio, piggy-backing on the Motabilty for the Disabled Scheme. What has happened to both the Motability and Blue Badge Scheme with the red tops, politicians and chav's was precisely because of the behaviour with 'feebies' by people like yourself. The real issue is .. .. not the wants but the needs, regardless of what's said in #114 you can not buy a new C220cdi Sport Auto Estate for £6.8k.

You chose it for 3 reasons :

- you could
    - it was virtually a freebie
    - and you / and / or your wife desired one

And as a result of this behaviour over recent years by recipients of 'easy-meat' HRDLA we have the great clunking fists of :

- red tops
    - chav's
    - political classes
    - ATOS
    - WCA
    - PIP
    - ect, landing blows from all directions on the disabled

I said it years ago in this group, and I'll do it now, the disabled should put their own house in order or the people will turn against you and facilitate the politicians who, in turn, will seize the moment and reduce you back to a plastic pig, the disabled work and pay tax .. .. remember that fact.

I have no doubt than your good lady's wheelchair will fit easily into the rear of your C220cdi, but you could fit eight wheelchairs in a Multipla, and the Christmas shopping and still see through the rear window.

""Whoever came up with this Advanced payment cap idea needs their intelligence testing, the problem is giving people the benefit to start with, not what they do with it once it's been awarded"" .. .. but it is what they do with it once it's been awarded you don't have to agree with it, you clearly don't like it, but what you [ and others ] do with it was / is seen, quite properly as nothing to do with - 'additional mobility needs' - that was what the original award was made for - additional mobility needs!

As far as I know Im the only person here who have mentioned Paravans/Chryslers Grand Voyagers and I want it recorded that I bought my own grand Voyager, Paravan and two new Mercs new, Vat free as Im a wheelchair user so while the Mercs and the ordinary GV were listed at over £35k each when I bought them I paid 17 1/2% less for them.

The paravan is as you say a WAV and is my current vehicle, it is a drive from wheelchair with an auto ramp and many other adaptions, they cost over £70k new and I cant afford anywhere near that so I bought one second hand.

For the record I have had only one motability car and I paid £3k AP for it, it was ok, as is the scheme but its not for, I prefer to own my vehicles.

Alan M, not every disabled person cant get credit if they want it, I have an excellent credit rating and can finance anything I want within reason (not that I do, we have investments and take money from them to finance our vehicles etc.) so dont generalise about us as its bad enough that the gutter press generalise about it without someone who claims to have a disabled wife doing it.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    dave030445 wrote: »

You can lease a basic car for a comparable amount to motability.
    If your insurance is significant, then it may double it on its own however.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure