🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Brighthouse non delivery

Options

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to prove my point, i've done a little research ;)

Brighthouse have a 40" LED 3Dtv total payable @ £19.99 a week being £3,118.44

Comet have the same tv for £699.99. At £20 a week, she could save this up in 8 months. Brighthouse she'd be paying for nearly 3 years.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Rain_is_Insane
    Options
    It is a TV..It is not life support or anything major, I am sure she could save up the amount she has to pay for the fee's and weekly payments and just buy one.
    There is also freecycle, ebay,gumtree, local ads etc most are much cheaper as they are offered as part of an upgrade to flat screen, digital, HD Etc

Sorry but I really don't get it.

Admitedly i'll give you that one. My son bought a complete tv, freeview, dvd combo for £32 from ebay a few months ago.

I take back the "only option" comment, and will replace it with the "easier option"
  • unholyangel
    Options
    Admitedly i'll give you that one. My son bought a complete tv, freeview, dvd combo for £32 from ebay a few months ago.

I take back the "only option" comment, and will replace it with the "easier option"

Always a lot harder to do the right thing than the wrong though isnt it? :D

Sounds like your son got a good deal though! I've had a few great deals through amazon direct (not marketplace). Fraction of the price.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Rain_is_Insane
    Options
    Always a lot harder to do the right thing than the wrong though isnt it? :D

Sounds like your son got a good deal though! I've had a few great deals through amazon direct (not marketplace). Fraction of the price.

it's a hulking great thing, but it works :D
  • michaelvintner
    Options
    There is no way in hell I would make any payments without the TV but then I wouldn't use them at all. You can get a really cheap TV from Argos or one of the major supermarkets and it is hardly an important purchase.
    Can she not get her money back and just forget about it ?

No one goes to scum like Brighthouse because they want to. I seriously doubt that any of Brighthouses Victims, Sorry I mean customers do not realise that they are getting a bad deal and being totally ripped off.

However for some people unfortunatelly it is the only and last point of call. Not everyone can get credit from a mainstream company. If my TV exploded tomorrow, I have another one in the bedroom. If that also exploded I have my Argos card. However for some people they do not have these options. It is Brighthouse or staring at the wall until you have got together enough cash to buy the cheapest, smallest, most crappy TV you can from Argos.
    Iva started Dec 2018.
  • michaelvintner
    Options
    It is a TV..It is not life support or anything major, I am sure she could save up the amount she has to pay for the fee's and weekly payments and just buy one.
    There is also freecycle, ebay,gumtree, local ads etc most are much cheaper as they are offered as part of an upgrade to flat screen, digital, HD Etc

Sorry but I really don't get it.

Got to admit you have a very valid point there. Pretty soon there are going to be a lot of first generation LCD tv's with analogue tuners and only one HDMI socket going spare as owners upgrade them. Think mine will be going on freecycle. I would rather that than a working TV going to landfill.
    Iva started Dec 2018.
  • joeyboy
    joeyboy Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I'd ring up and complain, not sure what their customer service is like, reviews aren't amazing for the company as a whole I don't think. But obviously a call to you to confirm your address because they see a for sale sign outside, would have solved the issue. So paying a re-delivery fee doesn't seem fair at all.

These days TVs seem so cheap. I suppose if you want a big 40" LCD on the wall it'll set you back a bit, but an emergency replacement TV until you can save up for a better model. These days you can get a 22" HDTV for around £150 and a 26" for under £200. Cheaper still if you get a used item and not something brand new. I'd probably hunt for something on ebay to tide me over personally.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to prove my point, i've done a little research ;)

Brighthouse have a 40" LED 3Dtv total payable @ £19.99 a week being £3,118.44

Comet have the same tv for £699.99. At £20 a week, she could save this up in 8 months. Brighthouse she'd be paying for nearly 3 years.

Also as a side note, might be worthwhile checking out Dixons Retail group as they usually have Buy Now Pay in 6/9/12 months interest free, or use their credit facilities at 19.9% APR rather than Brighthouses 29.9% APR straight away thats a massive saving, and then consider that Brighthouse will stick a extra £200 on the actual base unit price, making the original price about £200 to £300 more than it actually should be (for a 40" LED TV NoBrand),

Though saying all this, a TV is a luxury, and going into debt isn't generally a good idea, but if you have children or housebound etc etc (all I'm saying is lets not bash, different circumstances to our own), and maybe Brighthouse is the only company willing to give credit, but check out other options first.
  • unholyangel
    edited 19 October 2011 at 12:06AM
    Options
    Also as a side note, might be worthwhile checking out Dixons Retail group as they usually have Buy Now Pay in 6/9/12 months interest free, or use their credit facilities at 19.9% APR rather than Brighthouses 29.9% APR straight away thats a massive saving, and then consider that Brighthouse will stick a extra £200 on the actual base unit price, making the original price about £200 to £300 more than it actually should be (for a 40" LED TV NoBrand),

Though saying all this, a TV is a luxury, and going into debt isn't generally a good idea, but if you have children or housebound etc etc (all I'm saying is lets not bash, different circumstances to our own), and maybe Brighthouse is the only company willing to give credit, but check out other options first.

Cash price for the model i compared from brighthouse was £1400.....so double what comet charge in the first place ;) I even checked accessories were the same (as 3d glasses arent cheap themselves) and they both included 1 pair.

And ooooh i'm not bashing at all, like i said earlier....i've used them myself....i just wouldnt use them again :D . I understand some people feel its the only option. I'm just trying to give other options they maybe hadnt thought of (like getting a free tv to do for 8 months while saving up the £20 a week they'd be paying to brighthouse and being able to buy the exact same tv outright without a further 2 years of payments to put up with). And also on the plus side, if they start saving now, they may be able to get a real bargain in the january sales ;)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know that the following will be of no help to the OP, but for anybody facing the problem of replacing a TV, or a fridge, washing machine, cooker etc in the future there are free and cheap sources of second hand items which would then give them the breathing space to save up for a brand new item should they wish to....

www.ilovefreegle.org

www.freecycle.org

Both of which are free - though there are no guarantees on what might be available and when, and then - free/cheap dependant on circumstances are place like:-

https://www.furnitureproject.org.uk
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family