Brighthouse non delivery

Options
Ok so my partners mum has ordered a new tv from brighthouse. She has paid all the fee's she needs to pay upfront and also paid the first 2 weeks. She was supposed to have her TV delivered today but has sat waiting and waiting at 4:30 she decided to ring brighthouse to ask where the TV was and was told that the delivery van came this morning but because there is a for sale sign outside the house they cannot deliver the item. There is a forsale sign up but the house has been taken off the market now i know that brighthouse have policies and procedures they have to follow but surely if they had knocked on the door and explained the situation this morning or maybe they had rang to inform us then something could have been sorted out today instead of her waiting another week. She is due another payment to bright house but still has no TV does she make the payment or refuse until her goods are delivered and were would she stand?

Comments

• Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    There is no way in hell I would make any payments without the TV but then I wouldn't use them at all. You can get a really cheap TV from Argos or one of the major supermarkets and it is hardly an important purchase.
    Can she not get her money back and just forget about it ?
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Rain_is_Insane
    Options
    There is no way in hell I would make any payments without the TV but then I wouldn't use them at all. You can get a really cheap TV from Argos or one of the major supermarkets and it is hardly an important purchase.
    Can she not get her money back and just forget about it ?

Sometimes, somewhere like brighthouse is the only option :/ and they do pray on these people
  • meliB
    meliB Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest Brighthouse is her only option if she had the money she would gladly have got one cheaper somewere else. Her TV blew up and she cant afford to replace it any other way
  • Gothicfairy
    Options
    Sometimes, somewhere like brighthouse is the only option :/ and they do pray on these people

I really don't agree..A TV is luxury and therefore if you can't afford one, go without.
    Brighthouse is never an option as you can do without everything they sell.

Robert Service
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My advice would be to avoid brighthouse with a bargepole. Their interest rates are extortionate and usually you end up paying back more in interest than the actual item costs (i think my agreement was something silly like £2000 in interest and £1400 for goods).

I used them when i was young and stupid (where now i'm older and stupid ;) ) and i would never use them again. I wrote on another thread how i had to go down south for a ill family member for 2 weeks and forgot to pay for 2 weeks (which i admit is my fault). Brighthouse spent those 2 weeks telling my neighbours and parents (who i hadnt lived with for several years) EVERY detail of my account. They eventually offered to cancel the remainder of my agreement if i didnt sue/report them.

Much better to use the money you'd pay to them to save up. You'll be able to buy something better for less. If you're in desperate need of a tv, you could always try freecycle. It may not be pretty but it would be free and work until you could save up enough to buy a great tv at a fraction of the price. I got a 32" full HD LCD 18months ago for my bedroom from aldi for £280. Comes with a 3 year warranty as standard. It did break earlier this year but they sent out a replacement TV without any hassle at all!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Gothicfairy
    Options
    meliB wrote: »
    To be honest Brighthouse is her only option if she had the money she would gladly have got one cheaper somewere else. Her TV blew up and she cant afford to replace it any other way

It is a TV..It is not life support or anything major, I am sure she could save up the amount she has to pay for the fee's and weekly payments and just buy one.
    There is also freecycle, ebay,gumtree, local ads etc most are much cheaper as they are offered as part of an upgrade to flat screen, digital, HD Etc

Sorry but I really don't get it.

Robert Service
  • bobajob_1966
    bobajob_1966 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    Out of interest how much were the fees, and the regular payment?
  • meliB
    meliB Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I think she is paying £20 a month or something there about ... I'm not entirely sure of the upfront fee's although I do know she did have to pay a delivery fee. Would she be able to end the contract even though she has already signed the agreement?
  • unholyangel
    Options

Check your local freecycle! Sometimes you find real gems being given away. There are rules to freecycle (like you're not supposed to treat it as a wishlist but that just means dont go posting i want a brand new 50" HD tv, a silver dvd recorder - stuff like that...). You're not allowed to sell things either.

You could post on her behalf that she needs a tv to keep her going until she can buy a new one. You never know! Someone might be ditching their LCD for a new 3dtv!

Worst comes to worst, she'll maybe have to make do with a less than ideal tv. BUT on the brightside, she'll be able to get a similar sized/spec tv for about 30% of what it would cost her through brighthouse.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • unholyangel
    Options
    I think she is paying £20 a month or something there about ... I'm not entirely sure of the upfront fee's although I do know she did have to pay a delivery fee. Would she be able to end the contract even though she has already signed the agreement?

I would say yes, as they themselves are refusing to complete the contract.

Just dont tell them the house isnt up for sale anymore ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure