PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do I do with Rosemary?

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi rachel,

This thread has some more suggestions::

What do I do with Rosemary?

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the ideas together.

Pink
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Options
    Shoulder of lamb, slow roast it on a BIG bed of rosemary (takes about 3 - 4 hours) and garlic. At the end you should be able to eat it with a spoon...

Cuttings for neighbours and friends?
    Use in BBQ (flavours your cooking).
    As said, Freecycle?
    All else fails compost, woody parts take a while to go down.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    I wish you lived by me, I would love it.
    Try putting it on Freecycle, but meantime it is really easy to take cuttings from it so you don't have to buy new.
    Just snip a few pieces about 4 - 5 inches long and put the in a little vase/jar or something with water in. Pull the bottom few leaves off. In a few weeks you'll see roots coming through.
    I did put a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar in the water when I did mine, I don't know why, but it worked

You could always trim it right back?

I'm going to give this a go with mine, :)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Waverider_uk
    Options
    Shoulder of lamb, slow roast it on a BIG bed of rosemary (takes about 3 - 4 hours) and garlic. At the end you should be able to eat it with a spoon..

Doing this today, Lamb + Rosemary + Garlic = Awesome :D
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you're a red wine drinker it's good to pour the red wine in a bowl and add rosemary sprigs to it and leave to infuse.
    Can you use some in bread? You can also make rosemary flavoured sugar [bit like vanilla sugar] and use it in cakes.
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would just cut it back and freeze most of the trimmings, using a few to root as Barneysmom suggested, it roots easily and a pot of thriving rosemary makes a nice gift at Christmas or other time

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    It is a very good hair tonic just soak in boiling water for a few minutes strain and use in the last rinse. Leaves your hair really shiny
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What ratio of rosemary & water would you use for the hair tonic? Sounds lovely to do. Must read up how to dry it out as well.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can also tie a few of the trimmings together and hold it under the hot tap when you run a bath. Makes your bath quite invigorating, and cheaper than buying bath oils!

Or if you make your own soap, embed some small sprigs or individual needles in it - I have some lovely soap like this that I got at a local craft fair.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I have a nice rosemary plant at the door. I like the taste . What can you cook with it ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure