PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do I do with Rosemary?

Options

Comments

• beccatt
    Options
    >Am I supposed to be cutting it back? I have a quite large one in the back >yard.

Ours was starting to stick out into the pavement so it needed tidying up :p But last year our neighbour got so fed up with it she went and cut it back hereself... she's moved house now but thought I'd get in there before anyone else had any such ideas as I was so angry and embarassed last time!

Think now is the time to chop back straggly branches esp on fast growers like rosemary. Also need to chop back buddleia so that it grows more next year. Or maybe my dad (who taught me such gardening things) just liked chopping up stuff!
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When you do roasted mediterranean veg in the oven the flavour is greatly enhanced by adding a few sprigs of rosemary to them aswell as garlic cloves.
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Bambam
    Bambam Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    With a stick blender blitz together a tin of white beans (chickpea, butterbeans, cannellini etc with some of the bean juice), clove of garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper and lots of rosemary. Delicious as a dip for veg or toasted crusty bread.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    :kisses3:
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A little goes a long way in the kitchen, but if you have an open fire then try putting a twig or two at a time onto a burning fire - it makes a loely smell in the room. This works with green or dried, and dried can be used as starting twigs, but don't add too muany green stems at a time or you'll smoke yourself out!
  • luckylukey
    Options
    I adore rosemary so much that I make it into scented bags - like normal people do with lavendar
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We recently had an aromatherapy session in school, like a family learning week. The lady told us that rosemary essential oil shouldn't be used by people with raised blood pressure (me). I wonder if that means it should only be eaten in moderation though by people with hypertension?
    I love rosemary but have to stop myself from grabbing a handful and sniffing, cos it always makes me think of lamb for tea!
  • rosh12
    rosh12 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Help!!

I have been a little too keen in pruning our rosemary bush :o (flowered early this year and was getting out of control!) and I am now left with a pile of fresh rosemary.

What can I do with it?

How can I store it / preserve it?

And, how can I use it all apart from sticking a few bits in with my roast potatoes on a sunday?!!!!

:confused:

Hope you can help! I might post this in the gardening thread as well...

THANK YOU!
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I freeze fresh rosemary - it freezes really, really well and if you sort of 'scrunch' the frozen stems, it breaks up the needles saving you from having to chop it up :) You can also hang it upside down and dry it, but I prefer the fresh flavour of it so I freeze it.

I always add a teaspoonful to home-made tomato sauce, and it's actually really lovely in lemon madeira cake. I know, it sounds odd, but it's one of my favourite cakes! It's delicious with fresh lamb - I'm using some tonight and doing lamb steaks with mushrooms, rosemary and honey. It's also nice on foccacia bread, especially if you mix it with a little bit of garlic! I also like adding it to the butter mixture for 'ordinary' garlic bread. Also, I think that Delia has a really good recipe for a rosemary and potato bread, which was very delicious.

You can also make rosemary sugar by sticking a few stems in a small tub of sugar - again, this is great for using in home-made pasta sauces. I've seen recipes for rosemary jelly, which is made in the same way as mint jelly. Apparently this is also good with lamb.
  • nikibella
    nikibella Posts: 227 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I use rosemary in any roast meat or with fish (just put a little in the belly of the fish before roasting, or in the pan).
    For storing, there are no problems. Just cut it the size you want, put in a freezer bag and freeze. It lasts for ages.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Rosh,

We have an older thread on Rosemary that should help so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport