PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do I do with Rosemary?

Options
A friend very kindly dropped round two tesco bags worth of fresh rosemary that she trimmed from her bush ::).

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do with it?

Pink

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dry it hang it upside down in a warm place then store in a jar

rosemary is lovely with Lamb,

we cant digest it so dont use too much

nice in stuffing as well
  • shlitz
    Options
    good way to use a lot of quickly.

strip all the little green bits away from the main stem leaving just a little tuff of green at the top.

now you are left with skewers. use the rosemary stock to make shish kebabs. lamb and beef is very good.

just cut up some peppers slap a cherry tomato on the end mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

you could put all the bits you pull off into a jar and fill with oil. now you have rosemary flavored olive oil mmmmmm
  • gritts
    gritts Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    If you enter rosemary into bbc food recipe finder you get 226 recipes........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search.shtml?scope=recipes&q=rosemary&go.x=11&go.y=8

It's lovely with Lamb.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    White pizza with onions and potatoes recipe

Make dough from scratch with strong white flour, yeast, pinch of salt, a bit of olive oil and water. Work until soft (same dough as for bread so I assume that most ppl in this forum will know how to do it), let it rest until doubled in size and then work again for 5 minutes.

On a floured surface roll the dough very thin (1/8 inch ideal but also a bit thicker is ok). Roll out on a large oiled tin (oven tray is usually good for it).

Cover pizza base with very thinly sliced raw potatoes and chopped raw onions (lots of!), salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle fresh or dry rosemary all over the pizza and then cover in grated cheddar cheese.

In the oven at mid-high temperature until cheese is bubbly and golden (check that the potatoes are soft too).

Buon appetito!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I second using it as skewers!

put the bits you strip off onto the BBQ - lovely smell

use it on roast potatoes or parsnips

you could try to freeze some - I don't know if that works but it may do.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    Morissons use it in bread...(rosemary and cranberry bread)...
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• chucklingbunny
    Options
    I've used rosemary to make flavoured olive oil before - just put a nice looking stem in a bottle and top up with olive oil and let it steep for a week or two. It's lovely for cooking lamb or roasting potatoes/veggies.

Might even be an early idea to set aside for Christmas pressies?? I had a year when I was severely short of cash and gave lots of presents in bottles/jars (cookies, layered soups etc). Fun to put together, lovely to receive and sooooo soothing on the Christmas budget lol.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You can also make an infusion of rosemary (steep in hot water for 10 minutes - covered) and then use the cooled down infusion to rinse your hair, it makes it lovely and shiny.

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i freeze it on the stems, then you can just slide a bit off when you need it.
  • sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Try growing it yourself too. The stems root very easily if you put a spare stem in a pot or border and then you will have your own permanent supply of rosemary and will save money on buying from supermarket :)
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport