PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Daily Thread Sunday 2nd Oct

Options
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Sunday 2nd Oct. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.
GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150

Comments

• cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all. Up early again. Not sleeping well. DH still unconscious so decided not to disturb him. Not sure what I'm going to start doing when the rugby is over.

Not got much planned for today - still feeling very sore. Need to get everything ready for the new week though. Going to be busy.

Very confused hound who can't understand why he isn't being fed as soon as I am getting up. He's currently burrowing on the sofa looking adoringly at me.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good Morning Cat and All Who Follow x

Im another one who has been up for an hour or so but my dogs now almost expect me to be awake at this time or earlier. They come sniffing under my bedroom door to wake me up.

Anyway Marie, I found a Hugh FW recipe for Sticky Jamaican Ginger Cake, only yesterday. Here is a potted version:

75g butter
    125g dark muscovado sugar
    150g black treacle
    150g golden syrup
    75 ml dark rum
    2 medium eggs
    225g self raising flour
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon ginger
    pinch sea salt
    75g preserved stem ginger, finely chopped plus syrup

Grease and line a large loaf tin of at least 1 litre capacity

Put butter, sugar, treacle and syrup into saucepan and heat gently until combined. Leave to cool then mix in rum and beaten eggs

Sift four, allspice, ginger and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the middle. Add the melted mixture and stir until smooth. Finely stir in the finely chopped ginger.

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in preheated oven 180 degrees/ gas 4 for 50 mins. Cover if necessary. Leave to cool in tin and brush with ginger syrup for extra stickiness. Improves in airtight tin after a couple of days.

Thought I might make it for my Dad for Christmas as it might be a bit expensive just for everyday consumption? Hugh FW says it is not for the faint hearted:eek::eek::eek:

Hugs x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Cat - the love of a dog can depend on the softness of the sofa and the amount of treats!!! I should know - my two are currently ignoring me cos I won't let them up on the sofa this morning. DS2 woke up at 4(OMG) so we're currently watching Thomas the Tank. Grrrrrr would rather be counting sheep. Today will go to sunday market to get my veg and then have clearing up to do ready for the start of another week. Might try and catch some sheep. Have a good day x
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    good Morning everyone .Gosh it was so hot last night I gave up trying to sleep around 4.45,I'm in favour of the sun but do like it to cool down a bit during the night.Just checked the forecast and today will top 30 c in parts in the southeast then hopefully should start to cool down a bit and normal autumn weather is due back later this week Apparently even flowers are trying to rebloom at the RHS in Wisley They must be as confuddled as the rest of us .

Well I made a big box of cookies for my grandsons yesterday ( of course I had to try a couple out ,just to make sure they were ok,;) and yes they were yummy:D
    This morning I am making a Victoria Jam sponge for my DD and some small iced cakes for the cake tins.
    I have such a store of cooking things I want to do some baking so I can make some space in my cupboards ,plus of course its so much nicer than shop bought ones (cheaper too)
    Then after that I have a bit of ironing to accompany me while I listen to The Archers on the wireless.Hopefully I wil be all up to date by the time my eldest DD arrives for coffee around 11.30.Late afternoon after a feet up and maybe a small snooze to catch up on my lost sleep i will be off to my youngest DDs for dinner and scrabble with my DGS, and that is my Sunday all sorted.No Shopping to buy and nothing on my list for tomorrow so I may have three NSD in a row,Hope everyone has a great day whatever you may be doing
    Cheers Chums
    JackieO xxx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2011 at 8:06AM
    Options
    Morning all,

Eugh this if far too early for me on a sunday, but for a good reason :T DD has got a few hours work this morning and starts at 7, she is only working till lunchtime ish, but it all helps :j

Just having a cuppa, and dd having some toast, got loads done yesterday, took the rest of the bathroom stuff to the tip, collected 2 bookcases I won on ebay, they are fab, spent the afternoon washing dd's one down, and putting it up in her room and putting her books and bits on it.

We also collected a huge long piece of window board for shelving in the bathroom, OH put one up, but it just got too hot here, it was 31c in the garden at one point :eek:.

Too hot for chicken casserole last night, so we had nabs, will cook the chicken pieces this morning before the heat starts. My tomatoes have finally started to ripen, and I still have masses of corgettes coming :T

this morning OH and I will go to a tiny car boot sale which is usually good, and then back to finish the shelves and have a tidy through, seems strange to be sitting here with no wm on, but its a bit early and I want to wash the bedding and OH is still in bed :rotfl:

Have fun all xx
  • notjustlaura
    Options
    Morning all, before and after!

Yesterday was A Good Day. It was freezing cold and rained and rained so I spent most of the day on the couch with William-cat (Sammy-cat chose to sleep in a cardboard box on the floor but I shan't take that personally!) where I read to my heart's content. I finished two books I'd had on the go for a while and the another in its entirety. I'd set myself the challenge of reading 52 books in 2011 and have now achieved the target so I'm going to see if I can make it to 75 before the New Year.

Didn't do a whole lot of OS yesterday beyond the usual dailies of running the DW and having a quick scoot round to tidy up. Today seems to be another typical October day for us Scots so I'm planning further snuggling and reading and shall go to Mass tonight if I'm still feeling well - am having some Women's Problems so may be cuddling a hot water bottle and popping ibuprofen by then!

Hope everyone else has a peaceful Sunday.
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I slept pretty well for me. Only woke at 1.00 and 3.50. Then my dear cat decided that he wanted out at 4.45. He usually scratches the stair carpet and then chirrups in my ear. Not for the last two days! He has now decided that sitting at the bottom of the stairs and meowing really loudly is the answer!:eek: Worked though, he woke me up!:rotfl:

Having a cuppa now. Going to DD's for lunch today. She says that she's made Lasagne, yum!

Had a spray tan last night, to even up my tan. Top was already done, (we've had a lot of sun in Hastings this year) but legs were white. Same colour all over now:rotfl:

Enjoyed Strictly last night, but had to watch "Dr Who Confidential" to understand what the show was about!

Only OS I did yesterday was harvest the rest of the leeks and made some leek and potato soup for dinner. It was delicious! Froze the rest of the leeks for later.

Hope everyone enjoys the sun today (if you've got it, we have)
    Must go now.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    Beginning to wish I was Welsh! Pouring with rain, DH still dead to the world. Feeling yucky. Grrrr. Hound still hoping for food - I'm determined to hold out until 0700 or he's going to start expecting this every day.

Molly that ginger cake sounds delicious. Must avoid at all costs.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all
    Washing is on the line & the dishwasher is waiting to be unloaded but I'm having a cuppa first.
    I got very little done yesterday as it was so hot, I did manage to sweep the floors, go to the butchers & clean the kitchen, but that was about it.
    My bill in the butchers came to £76, but I got 10% off as they classed it as a freezer order, there is enough meat to last a couple of months & I have enough bacon to last until the New Year. Hubby wants to price up the stuff he needs to build the gazebo so that means hours of gazing at tool !!!!!!!
    I have a ham hock simmering on the stove for sandwiches & soup & I'm doing roast lamb today & will turn the leftovers into shephards pie.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • jannyannie
    jannyannie Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Boiling here, slept like a log and little cat was really good in that he managed to sneak in the bedroom and didn't wake me up. Usually he scratches the carpet and dribbles on me as he wants to go out. So have told him he's a very good kitty this morning.

Off to gym in a mo for body combat class, just love it and it's the new release today so it's a team teach. Then will go and get my boy. He wants to go to a laser place where he can run around a warehouse with his mate shooting people.

Not sure about dinner, it's too hot. Need some inspiration!

Have a good day all and hugs to all who need one today.

Jan x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport