Woodburner installed - thanks everyone for advice

Replies

• suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for advice Andy, believe it or not graham above was advocating freezing then oven drying the logs mad c***.

I burnt this http://www.homefire-fuels.co.uk/products/homefire-premium-kiln-dried-logs
    and http://www.homefire-fuels.co.uk/products/homefire-smokeless-fuel
    and http://www.homefire-fuels.co.uk/products/instant-light-firelog
    and http://www.homefire-fuels.co.uk/products/homefire-heat-logs

and used homefire kindling. I know it's very expensive but thought it was the best on the market judging by some comments on here, so wanted to see what the supposed best burnt like before judging it against other coal types from the local merchants.

I wouldn't mind burning just wood - and will eventually end up doing this I think - but would be happy, for this winter, to burn only smokeless but am clueless as to what I should be getting - which might be more difficult as local merchants may not do the exact types others recommend I need. Also my stove specifically excludes something called calco which, is listed as smokeless, in the manual.

The moisture metre I'm putting in any end of it, or along the middle. For all the wood I've ovened I can get maybe less than 10% along the sides and 10-20% along the middle. I expect however that a lot of water is being trapped in the bark, as this is still reading 37%, the top end of what my moisture metre can read. I thought the level of moisture would average out in the log? The b/q homefire logs were registering maybe 18-24%, but crucially this was found in both the exposed wood and also the bark. They burnt much better, but I started to notice real heat when firing the ovals and quick light logs in, which burnt beautifully and enthusiastically.

AFAIK you dont use those instant light firelogs in stoves

Four pieces of coal wont make a fire

You shouldn't be burning logs and coal together

Glolite/Hilite/phurnacite are the smokeless ovoids sold most places that are for stoves.

Your stove is not getting hot which is why your glass is sooting up ( as is your chimney) Hopefully is it just soot and not tar. Clean it with scrunched newspaper and a touch of water

If you are going to try again I would suggest forget your wood - you dont have enough dry wood to get you going and to go get a bag of good dry kindling and a bunch of newspaper and a scuttle of ovoids

Clean out your stove before you start and lay the fire box with scrunched paper and then a good pile of kindling - a good pile. Light it and leave the air wheel open fully and close the door - open it a touch if the fire doesnt take. Once you have a flame and most the kindling is lit - put on a good layer of ovoids - but still give the fire plenty of air. When they light - full your fire box with ovoids and close the door fully, still leaving the wheel open enough to get the fire flaming. Only when they are all lit do you close down the wheel to just keep them at a gentle flame.

My mum has the same style stove and if you dont have the fire hot before you close it up you get a black window

• edited 30 September 2011 at 9:52AM
    hethmarhethmar Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2011 at 9:52AM
    Oh, only just found this thread, follow up to the insulting one highrisk started previously. viewpost.gif

"Don't talk crap, have a standard back yard, I could easily pack a huge amount of logs against the back wall and stick a lay-to over it.
    You people make this out like it's some exclusive club. Ultimately if I'm taking wood down in say April next year and oven drying the wood, 5 logs at a time, I'll be able to dry around 15 logs per week, or say 60 a month, over 6 months. Not bad eh? And that's without paying for someone to do all this for me and talk sh 1t about "2 year drying processes." I've got a moisture metre and I've dried ash in an oven in 4 hours, yet you're on here talking balls about 6 month drying times. ...........Hethmar, suck it"

No apologies forthcoming then,.

*sits back to watch the show, sharing bag of maltesers with muckybutt*
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hethmar wrote: »
    Oh, only just found this thread, follow up to the insulting one highrisk started previously. No apologies forthcoming then,.

*sits back to watch the show, sharing bag of maltesers with muckybutt*

So its just you two that get the malteasers? No one else ?
  • hethmarhethmar Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you can share them and the glass of wine if you like Suki :)
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hethmar wrote: »
    Well, you can share them and the glass of wine if you like Suki :)

Bit early in the day for me but perhaps Ill pop back later this evening to read the next instalment

Im still certain chains are being yanked but hey ho -nowt better on tv :)
  • grahamc2003grahamc2003 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Bit early in the day for me but perhaps Ill pop back later this evening to read the next instalment

Im still certain chains are being yanked but hey ho -nowt better on tv :)

I decided that a couple of days ago. Surely the combination of stupidity, arrogance, abusiveness towards those trying to help, and lack of knowledge as to whether he has a garden or not, not to mention acquiring several types of fuel almost instantly, then 'drying' wood in the freezer, then cooking it in the oven, and a total supply and fit cost of around £550 must be some sort of very strange joke, isn't it? If he isn't pulling the proverbial, it's very worrying! (Anyone know if Broadmore has a stove installation program at the moment?).
  • suki1964 wrote: »
    AFAIK you dont use those instant light firelogs in stoves

Four pieces of coal wont make a fire

You shouldn't be burning logs and coal together

Glolite/Hilite/phurnacite are the smokeless ovoids sold most places that are for stoves.

Your stove is not getting hot which is why your glass is sooting up ( as is your chimney) Hopefully is it just soot and not tar. Clean it with scrunched newspaper and a touch of water

If you are going to try again I would suggest forget your wood - you dont have enough dry wood to get you going and to go get a bag of good dry kindling and a bunch of newspaper and a scuttle of ovoids

Clean out your stove before you start and lay the fire box with scrunched paper and then a good pile of kindling - a good pile. Light it and leave the air wheel open fully and close the door - open it a touch if the fire doesnt take. Once you have a flame and most the kindling is lit - put on a good layer of ovoids - but still give the fire plenty of air. When they light - full your fire box with ovoids and close the door fully, still leaving the wheel open enough to get the fire flaming. Only when they are all lit do you close down the wheel to just keep them at a gentle flame.

My mum has the same style stove and if you dont have the fire hot before you close it up you get a black window

Have lit it for 3 hours this morning with maybe 3 big homefire logs and a couple of my own ash logs and it's been burning fine with a good heat and no blackened window - I expect this was down to using too many different ingredients.

Also my wood ain't wet - it's reading between 0% and 35%, mostly it is 0-5% and is lighting like paper when put in the fire it is so dry. The hiss yesterday must have been down to trying to light without kindling and just breaking it in.
  • hethmarhethmar Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I think you and suki may well be right. After all, no one can be that stupid and then there is the fact no mention has been made of the smoke produced as the paint on the stove cures. I think it is a wind up. Still, as suki says, this could turn out better than corrie at the moment. (Lol, just thought logs with 0% moisture reading - as our friend claims he has - wouldnt be a log, it would be a pile of dust)
  • muckybuttmuckybutt Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm loving it :)

Fancy some pop corn later hethmar ?

Are we going to bets as to how soon he'll needa sweep to unblock the chimney due to the crap buildup ?
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • I am loving this thread !

I can see a stove in the next 2 weeks being in orbit around the earth. Hopefully it doesn't land in Lancashire

Someone told me the other day that pouring Jack daniels over your logs before lighting them would avoid the need to clean your glass. The alcohol in the JD is so high it acts as an air curtain up the glass when the log is lit. Anyone tried it?;) Does it also work with Bacardi?

Highrisk, I love your posts, keep 'em coming !

You seem to be of the same breed as people who buy gas fires, fit them themselves and then find out that they didn't have a flue in the first place, believe it or not it has happened to me ! Wondered why they had headaches, I got the blame for not coming out to survey for a supply only sale ! You cannot really go wrong with Stoves as long as you take advice, preferably before you buy from people who work with them for a living, not everyone is on the make.

Talking about Jack Daniels...... mmm !
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides