Woodburner installed - thanks everyone for advice

1789101113»

Replies

• ...which would explain why it is your comments, not mine, which are being marked 'spam' by other users?
  • muckybuttmuckybutt Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...which would explain why it is your comments, not mine, which are being marked 'spam' by other users?

Are they really ???
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • pauletruthpauletruth Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ive been told that i will have to pay 700 quid for a chimney liner. we are having a wood burning stove put in to run central heating and water. funded bt the energy saving trust

so i feel funny about questioning this cost.

the building is old 1850 the chimney is mainly stone with block construction at an higher level. it has been used for a range for years and at the moment has a very old multifuel stove in. the trouble is they house burnt down in the 1970s an the guy who rebuilt it was not really skilled to do so.

would a single skin liner be good enough. we will be mainly burning peat with some coal and wood.

second question we have an open fire in the living room that can become smokey if the wind either blows from the wrong direction or there is no wind. what is the cause and what is the best cure.
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pauletruth you may need a cowl to solve the wind problem

Maybe something like this

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Chimney-Cowls.html

I have a cowl on my chimney but mainly to keep rain from coming down its like a metal cages around the chimney pipe with a metal lid to stop rain, this isnt for stopping wind but I think you can get them
  • hethmarhethmar Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul, have a look at the HETAS and NACE websites for the regulations. No reaon why you cant buy the materials and do it yourself and then have the local buildings control sign it off as safe.

Smoke entering the room from an open fire can be caused by a number of reasons, the first to check is obviously a blockage or narrowing in the flueway, several other possibilities - but to be honest, the most common reason we find is the fireplace opening area is too big for the diameter of the serving flueway - that is, the opening needs to be made smaller in some way, either with a hood, or by lifting the hearth (all the hearth, not just bunging a few bricks under a grate!) or by building in from the sides.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides