MSE News: Tesco slashes Clubcard points to finance price drop

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
113 replies 16.9K views

Replies

• Well the big price drop explains a lot to me.

I have noticed in this past week many prices have risen dramatically, obviously so that they can "price drop" next Monday.

I was gobsmacked to discover milk had risen from £1 to £1.32 overnight. What's the bet it doesn't drop back to £1?
  • Personally, I would be happy to see an increasing range of BOGOF offers on non-persishable (or very long shelf-life) in exchange for a reduction in clubcard rewards.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, I don't need 2 packs of ham at a time or a dozen yoghurts but I would definitely stock up on non-perishables but then Tesco are savvy enough to know that there's only so much perishable stuff anyone can buy so the take-up of the offer will be limited to an extent.
  • ALIBOBSYALIBOBSY Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have always found tesco to be much more expensive than the other stores, and ours is a pain to get around with annoyingly long waits to get through the till.

I do occasinally go in, especially when there are so good offers on, but I go in, get the offer and go. Do the same with sainsburys and now our netto (:() is an asda will add them to the grab a bargain list.
    i go in lidl probably once a month (or when they have a special offer item i want) to look what offers they have on cans/crisps etc.

My main shop is in Aldi, virtually everything we have tried there is fab, much much better quality than "value" items from all the stores, plus (like Lidl) you get deli stuff choc etc and those special offers that the supermarkets just can't compete with.
    I also like Morrisons both for offers and tend to pop in there after Aldi to get any items I can't get in Aldi I find them very simular in price to asda, but things like the meat and fruit and veg is much better quality.
    I check out the reduced section whenever I go in any store to see if there is anything I ca use either in this weeks meals or freeze for future.

Finally I also have a couple of fab local farm shops-the fruit and veg one is just up the lane and do lovely local cheeses and breads as well and a farm shop literally on the farm about 20 mins away. They sell local cheeses as well, but its mainly meats. They sell award winning beef and lamb from their own farm. FR chicken from another local farm (about 40 mins away) and pork/bacon from a farm close by to them.
    Now the meat isn't organically certified, but the animals are really well cared for they are all free range/pastured rather than in barn and having spoke to the farmers they are happy to chat about how the animals are fed and looked after and as well as open days they will often let the kids have alook at the animals eg we were invited to see the new lambs and their mums in spring as they were in the nearby barn . the meat is amazing and we can stock up-they have fab freezer packs and if you buy in bulk say once every few months they are great at rolling up a deal for you. It is also nice for the kids to see the animals and a real working farm and understand exactly where their meat comes from.
    http://www.spouthousefarmshop.co.uk/.

BUT I am a SAHM so have the time to meal plan/make lists and check online prices plus shop around and then cook from scratch. It saves a fortune not having to shop in one store.

EG this week I spent £29 in Aldi (including some pull ups) and £33 in Morrisons which will do all of us (2 adults 4 kids) for the week easily. Mind you I am topping up so to speak so our meals will include stuff from the larder and the freezer, but each week i buy different items we need to spread costs out. Still I would never do my main shop in tesco we just couldn't afford it, but then the offers never seem to be on the basics for cooking your own.
    To be honest the whole points thing is a bit of a con, some peeps on here are savvy and did well off it, but many more casual shoppers are paying for it with little or no benefit. Consistant low prices would be better.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• debtfree1daydebtfree1day Forumite
    382 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    MAX SIBLU £500

I feel conned. i paid £200 into cxmas top up club last month, having phoned and been told there were no changes planned. I now have nearly £400 of vouhcers coming at xmas, worth £1200 which was to pay for next years holiday! (as it did this year)

the £500 max is from 22nd oct...the vouchers will be issued in nov...

i feel conned and duped!
  • MAX SIBLU £500

I feel conned. i paid £200 into cxmas top up club last month, having phoned and been told there were no changes planned. I now have nearly £400 of vouhcers coming at xmas, worth £1200 which was to pay for next years holiday! (as it did this year)

the £500 max is from 22nd oct...the vouchers will be issued in nov...

i feel conned and duped!

I have nearly 80 pounds worth of points in my xmas saver ........which I was going to exchange for a reward (Barcelo Hotel) making £240 ....does that mean if I top up £20 to make £100 I will have £300 in rewards.
  • Just answering my own question. Just checked the Tesco website and found the following information - it does not look as though top ups through the year can be tripled and turned into rewards.

What will I receive in my November 2011 Clubcard statement if I become a Xmas Saver?

cc_voucher.jpg We convert the points you have collected into money off vouchers. You can spend these vouchers in-store, on-line or on Clubcard rewards.
    topup_voucher.jpg All the money you top up at the checkout will be sent to you in top up vouchers. You can spend these in-store or online.
    bonus_voucher.jpg Your bonus voucher (awarded if you have topped-up at least £50 during the year, and either £3 or £6 depending on how much you've saved- see table below for details). You can spend this in-store or online.
    bonus_coupon.jpg Money-off or Clubcard points coupons.
  • debtfree1daydebtfree1day Forumite
    382 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    cherrydee, you are right, they have basically conned and duped people.
    I usually dont use such emotive language, BUT , as i felt the offer 'too good to be true' i phoned on 3 seperate occasions before putting money in which i couldnt really afford. the staff were 100% clear that i could triple via reward upon receipt of the vouchers in nov....i even discussed my plan to use for siblu holidays

some joker phoned me in regards to my complaint and toldf me it was n the t's and c's i agreed too....he graciously agreed i was at liberty to use an alternative supermarket in future!
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    matmad wrote: »
    Anyone know if Clubcard Plus holders will still keep collecting double points?

Yes, currently because of 'double points' CC+ effectively get three points for every pound spent, i.e. standard, double point, and T.P.F (+) point. When, it reverts to standard 'single points' CC+ = standard point and T.P.F. (+) point.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cherydee & debtfree1day

Xmas Club.

There has been no fundamental change with the Christmas Saver. It has always been the case that the standard vouchers earned from your Tesco (or partner) purchases are sent in the November mailing, for you to use - either in the store, direct or for rewards.
    Where you 'top-up' in store this is an extra way of saving throughout the year that you wouldn't miss too much to accumulate an extra amount to use on your christmas shopping. And where the amount is high enough Tesco give you a bonus (interest). It is only for in-store and Tesco Direct.
    Sorry, but it does seem unrealistic to imagine that you could just put money in (with-out buying anything) and when its vouchers come out you can convert them into three times the value!
    When you asked about using the vouchers for reward, did you specifically refer to the 'top-up' vouchers??
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Theyre giving you something for free. No one can really complain

If tesco sent me free vouchers, it would be free.

You spend a pound and you get 1 voucher which equates to 99p

With x4 (at the most) you get 4p off.

Tesco are giving you a 4% discount of goods marked up sometimes by 10 or 20 % HOW BY THE IMMORTAL GODS OF OLYMPUS IS THAT FREE?

This is basic marketing and too many people are getting sucked in!

I am pleased that half my Tesco spends are for extra points or for clearance items (there Veg clearance is quite good)

Only 1 more year of Tesco to go - yipee:cool: :T
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government