MSE News: Tesco slashes Clubcard points to finance price drop

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
113 replies 16.9K views

Replies

• comping_catcomping_cat Forumite
    24K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is really good news for me, ive been saving for a holiday when they changed it to X3, which meant i didnt have enough. Despite trying to get more points, they have been so few and far between that i was still a few hundred short of a decent holiday. Now they have changed it back to 4X i have enough (and hopefully a week all inclusive in Jamaica!).

I stopped shopping in Tesco over a year ago, even with the double points Morrisons worked out cheaper and the quality is better too. Cant see me going back, as im sure Morrisons will join in the price cuts, fingers crossed!
  • This is really good news for me, ive been saving for a holiday when they changed it to X3, which meant i didnt have enough. Despite trying to get more points, they have been so few and far between that i was still a few hundred short of a decent holiday. Now they have changed it back to 4X i have enough (and hopefully a week all inclusive in Jamaica!).

I stopped shopping in Tesco over a year ago, even with the double points Morrisons worked out cheaper and the quality is better too. Cant see me going back, as im sure Morrisons will join in the price cuts, fingers crossed!

Any Tesco clubcard collector saw this end to the double points coming a mile off...

comping cat - re-read the story. Not everything is going to be 4x, it is only going to be their "most popular" at 4x. I suspect this will not include holidays, and presume more things will stay at 3x value than go up to 4x value.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Does anyone know when they are going to publish what rewards are 3x or 4x... it would be good if they hotel vouchers went back up as we have used those the last 2 years, but I guess it's unlikely.
  • The rewards are fine for those with families but have never seen anything useful for individuals.
  • I hope the price reductions are on healthy and low fat foods as well as standard. I do the price check after my Tesco shop and have had several vouchers because Asda has been cheaper. Only a few pence each but every little helps as they say!
  • ROBDOLPHIN66ROBDOLPHIN66 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    They have increased their prices so much recently that they will be able to easily "reduce" 100s of products and still charge more than they were doing in the first place.
  • corbyboycorbyboy Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad they are doing this. People are so easily manipulated by so called "special offers." I remember watching a Mary Portas program once where a furniture shop got rid of "sales" and switched to permanent low prices. They interviewed customers and the number who said they were going to DFS because they "had a sale on" was unbelievable.

Get rid of BOGOFs, loyalty cards, money off coupons, special offers and give us what we really want - LOW PRICES!
  • MakeandsaveMakeandsave Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the 4x we save all year around and last year 4x on the eating out and ate out at loads of places, Looking forward to seeing the 4x ones :) Means i get to eat out more for free :)
    Jan Wins: .
  • StryderStryder Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tesco reports record profits of £3.8bn

And only 0.7% reduction in UK sales
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/apr/19/tesco-reports-record-profits

I am an avid clubcard collector so I can do my Open Uni course. Thanks to them cutting level 2 and 3 courses, I probably will only be collecting after another year. After this I will do my best to boycott Tesco - they have a rubbish track record on quality, ecology, Customer Service (if you have met any store managers you will know what I mean), pricing and general ethics.

I wonder if MSE will still promote Clubcards as much as they have?
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • adamgadamg Forumite
    485 Posts
    rubbish, I was saving for another holiday which I doubt will be 4x value. So I will suffer big time unless Tesco starts giving away bonus pointsmagain which they really cut down on while doing the double clubcard points
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals