edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
113 replies 16.9K views

Replies

• VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    chardir wrote: »
    It's not free - it's factored in to all prices across the board. This is equivalent to a universal 1% price rise.
    Not quite - because:
    • not all transactions have the points collected for them
    • not all points collected will be spent
    • and for every 100 points spent at 1x value in the store this doesn't actually 'cost' Tesco £1, just the cost price of the £1 of goods
    So it doesn't really cost Tesco 1% to offer 1 point per pound. Meaning that if you make best use of points, you are being partly subsidised by people who don't, rather than wholly by Tesco putting up their prices by 1%.
  • There WILL be another double up promo during November
  • edited 22 September 2011 at 5:22PM
    pbemtimpbemtim Forumite
    6 Posts
    edited 22 September 2011 at 5:22PM
    CompBunny wrote: »
    I really hope that the price reductions are decent and not just on luxury goods...eg I'd much rather have a cheaper bog standard loaf of brown bread reduced in price than a luxury (to me) foccacia.

The promo will be on everyday items, 1000 are Tesco own brand, not Tesco finest or Tesco value.
  • Sad news. Tesco will loose more regular customers.
    £ 2012 in 2012

£335.67/ £ 2012
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    WestonDave wrote: »
    I suspect its getting absolutely hammered by Asda's 10% cheaper guarantee - now is not the economic climate to be seen as complacently more expensive than your major rival. Once I discovered mysupermarket and realised that Asda was roughly 10% cheaper, Tesco got the boot (albeit that cheekily I still use a Tesco credit card so gather Tesco points on my Asda shopping!). £5 or £6 a week in grocery savings dwarfs anything I can save on clubcard points.

Last week, I did a price check

spent aound £75
    Tesco system Matched about £42 to compare to Asda, who were n £10 more !! Ok £8 of this was on offers I purchased in bulk due to offers, but still more than competitive on other prices.

Then a £10 off voucher

Then "double points"

Then Tesco credit card points.

Oh and another 5p off fuel = £2.50

I find it hard to beat and more pleasant shopping than my local asda

---

That said Asda still have some good priced items, including Wines, and as a professional moneysaver I get an extra 3% off asda anyway.
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • ncfc1902ncfc1902 Forumite
    59 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    When Tesco says it's returning to "1 point per pound spent" does this include fuel?
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's much better when supermarkets simply keep their prices as low as possible, no need for reward schemes if the prices are competative and the shop gives a good service, that is what should keep customers going back, not gimmicks like a reward card, 2 for one offers etc.
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ncfc1902 wrote: »
    When Tesco says it's returning to "1 point per pound spent" does this include fuel?

Think still is for tesco credit card
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • MaddysmamMaddysmam Forumite
    79 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I don't buy the Asda 10% challenge. I shop at both Tescos and Asda and am likely to get a lot more bargains at Tesco - so the rewards card is a welcome bonus that I'm grateful for. After all Asda knocked theirs on the head years ago so what are they doing to reward customers? I am not 'loyal' to any of them - they all work on the principle of a percentage of goods at a good price or on 'offer' whilst the rest of all goods are more expensive than elsewhere. We've all enjoyed double points for a long time - now it's over. We still get points for every pound spent and that's all that matters to me. I've spent a lot this month so looking forward to my vouchers and a Nov double up which I will use in the clothing section no doubt :)
  • nmaria wrote: »
    Sad news. Tesco will loose more regular customers.

Speaking personally, as someone on low income (my grocery spend is around 60 quid a month, and I'm trying to drop it) most of the offers of '4*' points are not really that great in general.

But, they are mostly fairly expensive ranges, or would require extra spending.
    For example - to get to my local pizza express would be a 4 hour round-trip on the bus.
    Spaghetti house about a 16 hour one.

I'd much rather have double points in-store, or offers such as 150 points for free delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides