NOW OPEN: the MSE Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. This time we'd like your questions on TRAVEL & HOLIDAY DEALS. Post by Wed and deals expert MSE Oli will answer as many as he can.

MSE News: Orange and T-Mobile users struggle on slow mobile internet speeds

in Mobiles
34 replies 6.1K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Millions of Orange and T-Mobile customers could be left with snail-like internet speeds on their handset because their network has failed to update its systems ..."

Replies

• Join Three network, brilliant speed.
  • stugibstugib Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Seems a complete non-story to me, when I read the headline I thought there was some underlying issue when using your primary network, not just the 2G/3G availability! They were clear when network sharing via roaming was introduced that you wouldn't be able to get 3G on the partner network. Merging two networks isn't just flicking a switch overnight. If it's taking longer than originally planned, it's a pain, but these things happen in a complex project.
  • simaxsimax Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That news story is full of inaccuracies. Before posting a story like this, do some damn research first!!
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    27.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have this - at home I get no voice signal for tmobile (home network) so switch to orange 2g then when I go out I have to switch back to tmobile for HSPDA browsing. ON my Android it is a pain in the a**e. When my contract is up I will probably be switching to Vod or their cpw (mvno) but even they don't have a great signal here and their sure signal boxes are not cheap. Tmob it appears have trialled a network booster home box but I don't think it is available to anyone but corporate customers.
    I think....
  • Cisco001Cisco001 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have orange, it is terribly slow on internet.
  • This has been a problem for ages, but when I get it I'm always far away from a computer or decent connection!:

I'm eligible for both Cloud(or something, via Orange) and BT Openzone. However both are useless, my phone seizes up, or at least my net connection hangs, until I disable wi-fi and rely on 3G.

As Seinfeld would say: "What's up with that?"
  • c-mc-m Forumite
    770 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would like to see a story on T-mobile capping data rates to a pitiful 0.35Mbps and making no mention of the capped rate in the contract or the terms. Many users will just think they don't have good reception or that their handset is rubbish, when the fact is they are capped.

No other network sees fit to cap its users speeds.
  • NightStarNightStar Forumite
    19 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Forumite
    I would like to have this one explained to me technically. What is the difference between an original orange customer and a t-mobile customer using an orange mast or vice versa. Whats the issue..updating a customer or sim code database?

On another note, is it me or has anyone else noticed how you can be happily surfing away and then every 10 mins or so all data flow stops for a few minutes in both directions?
  • c-m wrote: »
    I would like to see a story on T-mobile capping data rates to a pitiful 0.35Mbps and making no mention of the capped rate in the contract or the terms. Many users will just think they don't have good reception or that their handset is rubbish, when the fact is they are capped.

No other network sees fit to cap its users speeds.

Totally agree with this, had a long phonecall with technical support to sort this out the other day. It's especially frustrating when people on Three or Orange (both part of MBNL which is essentially the same 3g network) can get upwards of 1.5Mbps without having to do anything.
  • Orange's network is too congested to get a decent speed even with 3G
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum