We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Charge Right Ltd - reclaim money

Options

Comments

• seasider1
    Options
    Hi
    Just read your message about "charge right"
    I had a call from them, after a while they convinced me to make claims with any money due to me, so I went ahead, I couldn`t afford full payment (about £300) so they said I could pay monthly by credit card, (who I would claim from). After recieving the paperwork, I decided not to go ahead with my claims, and returned it,after a week or so I had a call from them, who talked me into going ahead again, so I agreed, recieved the forms, but sent them back for the second time. They`ve taken £100 from my credit card, they called me about 6 weeks ago to say they will refund the money, but havent recieved it yet. (still waiting)
    Just wanted to let you know of my experience with them.
    Regards
  • Meeper
    Meeper Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Options
    Please be kidding.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an Independent Financial Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,829 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, since you paid by credit card...you could tell your credit card company that the service hasn't been provided, and then see if the credit card company will give you your money back under s75. That would pretty much be the definition of bare faced cheek though!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    so they said I could pay monthly by credit card, (who I would claim from).

Some have said that what you have done could be considered fraud. i.e. using the same credit card to pay for legal action that you are going to claim is unenforceable.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • rgrig01
    rgrig01 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 January 2012 at 9:18PM
    Options
    My husband has also been bombarded with Charge Right phoning us up. Their reasons for us having a claim were that it was 'immoral' of the Independent Financial Advisor selling us an interest only mortgage (which was a buy to let mortgage) and a standard repayment mortgage that went past statutory retirement age. It all sounds too good to be true really, apparently we could get 21k...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Their reasons for us having a claim were that it was 'immoral' of the Independent Financial Advisor selling us an interest only mortgage (which was a buy to let mortgage) and a standard repayment mortgage that went past statutory retirement age.

There is nothing wrong with taking a mortgage into retirement where you know that is the case and it has been documented as such. Some people do it to keep the monthly costs down but intend to use their pension lump sum to pay it off when they get there. Or they hope, as has happened very many times in the past, that inflation will erode the monthly cost down to very little (i.e. people that bought their houses for £20,000 25 years ago now have a tiny mortgage which is affordable for a few years into retirement.
    apparently we could get 21k...

And let me guess... They want you to pay an up front fee first.

look up the definition of advance fee fraud.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • FraudBuster
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with taking a mortgage into retirement where you know that is the case and it has been documented as such. Some people do it to keep the monthly costs down but intend to use their pension lump sum to pay it off when they get there. Or they hope, as has happened very many times in the past, that inflation will erode the monthly cost down to very little (i.e. people that bought their houses for £20,000 25 years ago now have a tiny mortgage which is affordable for a few years into retirement.

And let me guess... They want you to pay an up front fee first.

look up the definition of advance fee fraud.

http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/fraud-az-advance-fee-fraud
  • kipper18
    Options
    Have had a call today from Charge Right Ltd and the 'no win no fee' charge is now up to £399 + VAT!!!!!!

I am glad I read the comments on this forum it has saved me from making a big mistake and seeing £480 go down the drain.:beer:
  • Steviek_2
    Steviek_2 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cold calling by these Companies is illegal that in itself should tell you all you need to know
  • Mrs_Thrifty_3
    Options
    I too had a call from this Company regarding my Mortgage - normally I would't ever entertain a cold calling company, but initially I thought it was my mortgage provider (these cold callers speak so quickly!!) Anyway, when I established that it was not my provider, I attempted to say (politely!) go away. However, the caller then interupted me and said, well if you don't want your money back from the Bank then that is up to you? I then became interested (sucker I know) I agreed to them sending me a 'pack' which had to be returned within 7 days, if not then I would be billed £50 as it apparently costs this much to produce! I was assured of a no win no fee etc and they made me believe that I was entitled to a staggering 58k!!! I then did the most sensible thing - I phoned by Financial Advisor, my Mortgage provider, AND, through your excellent site found out about this Company. The bloggers who have mentioned the financial status of this firm, and of its Director, I knew I had to get out of this FAST! I called the Company back (having dialled 1471) and as much as they tried to persuade me otherwise I FIRMLY said NO and cancelled the sending out of the pack. I also stated that if I did receive it, I would send it to my Solicitor. They immediately backed down and hopefully I can put it down to a close call and not be so naive again. My provider (and FA) went through my mortgage with me thoroughly (was on the phone most of morning) and it became pretty obvious that this Company would have no grounds to claim. Please folks, I had a close call, this is a firm playing on insecurities etc. I am sure that had my provider found anything they would have put their hands up (and I wouldn't have had to part with 30% + VAT had a claim been miraculously successful!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport