We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Charge Right Ltd - reclaim money

Options

Comments

• momontie
    momontie Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 19 April 2012 at 12:07PM
    Options
    I was cold called by this company in April 2010 regarding credit card ppi reclaim, they took £200 from me plus £15 to get copies of my credit card statements. I have contacted them time and time again by phone and e.mail, they have changed their address and telephone number twice in the last 2 years and had i not had internet access i would not have known. They have fobbed me off with excuses for all this time i wrote to them twice recorded delivery, no reply received, their website has now been removed and there is no answer on the phone, it is just ringing out. So i guess i have lost my £215 plus about £50 of phone calls over the last 2 years. So do not have dealings with this company unless you want to be conned.
  • yamaha155
    Options
    i too did all of the above pack sent out pack sent back had the phone call your entitled too £16000 but the difference with me was that i refused to give them any money they stated that if i paid them £700 that my claim would take alot less time to sort outi asked what would happen if i did not pay the money and the reply was that it could take over a year so i said fine i dont mind waiting. this was in march . i recieved a letter from my bank yesterday offering me £3596.00 as a good will gesture for a carloan that i had taken out in 2003 i have tried calling chargeright to tell them about this for two reasons sometimes the banks try to underpay you and also i still have to pay charge right a percentage but they are not answering i see from the fourm that they have given up their crm license (whatever that is ) does this mean they are no longer in buisness and that i will not be hounded for a percentage of this claim by them
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    From what little I understand at the moment, Charge Right Ltd are now under investigation by the Claims Management Regulator. When I contacted them (CMR) last week, they informed me that the company had voluntarily surrendered their CMR licence so in effect, as from April 5th they cannot handle any claims ... therefore no one at the moment will receive anything. I followed their advice and sent Charge Right a letter asking for a full refund of monies paid to them and a return of all documentation which I had provided to them. This was sent recorded delivery. The CMR will be informed of the outcome, whatever it may be.
  • benithedog
    Options
    I too have claims going through with chargeright. They cold called me 3 years ago in may. i paid money up front after checking the forms. I have been paid out on 2 separate items (small payouts) The first just about covering my initial payment to themselves. They said they were at the final stages of my main claim before disappearing off the radar completely. I had waited over 2 years for this, I've suspected for a while they were not efficient and expected to be ripped off. :mad:
  • Pariah
    Options
    Thank you, benithedog - terrible news but at least we have the satisfaction of knowing that we were right.

UPDATE:

Not a complete surprise, but this morning's mail brought the return of my letter to Charge Right! Unopened, marked by the Royal Mail as "addressee gone away" but handwritten on the envelope was REFUSED....(probably more like it), so somebody was at their address to refuse it!

The Claims Management Regulator will be informed on Monday morning
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Director is one Gareth Thomas. He seems to have been the director of rather a lot of companies around the Swansea/Neath areas which have sprung up and disappeared over the last 12 years or so.
  • Pariah
    edited 21 April 2012 at 11:07PM
    Options
    Thanks magpiecottage for your information, but he seems to be still in operation:

Thomas, Gareth [EMAIL="gareth@chargeright.co.uk"]gareth@chargeright.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    Main Road
    Cilfrew
    Neath,
    West Glamorgan
    SA1 8LF United Kingdom
    +44.79736204

That's one address for certain!

And a word of warning...another company based 5 miles away from Charge Right calling themselves Total Financial Solutions have suddenly started to call and offering their services for free but claim to have not heard about Charge Right Ltd when challenged. One of their associated addresses is:

jonny jones
    waun villa
    kidwelly
    Carmarthenshire
    SA17 5DD United Kingdom

I would suggest that this is 'quite' close.
  • momontie
    Options
    Total Financial Solutions contacted me on Thursday and seemed to know my name and details about my claim with charge right showed a lot of sympathy when I told them about how I had been treated, so I would not be suprised if there was some connection there. I took their details and asked about upfront charges and they said they did charge an upfront fee but it had something to do with the pack they send out no figure was given. I told them I was waiting to hear from my own bank regarding what if anything charge right had done and they said they would ring me back next Thursday. I sent a recorded delivery letter to
    charge right regarding a refund and return of paperwork nothing returned yet, so I suppose it will be returned this week as not accepted.
  • Pariah
    Options
    Strange that you had a similar conversation with TFS as I did. I was promised no charge/fee if I accepted their offer of them pursuing my claims! A pack would be dispatched forthwith. The pack was to be returned within 14 days or else a £50 admin fee would be charged! At this point, I refused and ended the conversation.

This prompted me to do some digging and I finally tracked down their website: tfsfinance.co.uk

The girl who spoke to me from Total Finance Solutions, told me that they (TFS) were regulated by the FSA which she said Charge Right weren't, but she also claimed that she couldn't find Charge Right on her database of similar companies, neither had she heard of them! However, digging reveals that the two companies are infact only 5 miles apart! As for the FSA claim, there is no mention of this on their web site, which I would expect to be there along with their MOJ number! :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport