MSE News: Government moves towards new monthly benefit system

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
183 replies 14.5K views

Replies

• shegirlshegirl Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    I think it's a brilliant idea!When people move from benefits to work they will have to adjust to monthly pay so why not get them used to it in the first place?(and yes,the long term goal should to be working one day)

With all respect to messedup,as I know she has mental health problems,that can happen at any time with weekly pay or monthly DLA payment,as harsh as it sounds,the system should be geared to assist people without having to say 'oh no we can't do that incase a few people go and spend it instantly'.I know that may sound harsh but for the good it would ultimately do most (despite their panic) it would be worth it.A lot of people on benefits long term appear to be missing the basic life skill of budgetting properly and not living week to week and it's time it was given to them
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • looby75looby75 Forumite
    23.4K Posts
    NASA wrote: »
    Manic episodes are going to cause problems whether the person is monthly or weekly paid.
    yes but as I said yesterday if you only have one weeks money sitting in your bank when you have a manic episode there is a lot less to blow and a lot shorter time period to cover until your next payment. It's damage control and limitation.

• looby75looby75 Forumite
    23.4K Posts
    shegirl wrote: »
    With all respect to messedup,as I know she has mental health problems,that can happen at any time with weekly pay or monthly DLA payment,as harsh as it sounds,the system should be geared to assist people without having to say 'oh no we can't do that incase a few people go and spend it instantly'.I know that may sound harsh but for the good it would ultimately do most (despite their panic) it would be worth it.
    then why not have it so that if you have a diagnosed MH problem that means you have manic episodes of impulse control problems you can still be paid weekly. The VAST majority of payments would be monthly so would still cut admin costs while helping protect the vulnerable.

10.1K Posts
    looby75 wrote: »
    then why not have it so that if you have a diagnosed MH problem that means you have manic episodes of impulse control problems you can still be paid weekly. The VAST majority of payments would be monthly so would still cut admin costs while helping protect the vulnerable.

I would have no problem with that option in one sense (although the gov might) but then part of me does think that maybe it should be a case of the same for everyone.Or maybe they should have someone to help them so they don't get themselves into that situation and don't blame the government for it when it's nobodys fault (and I mean nobodys at all).I don't think those with mental health issues should be missing out on the skill of monthly budgetting and planning tbh
  • lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have no problem with that option in one sense (although the gov might) but then part of me does think that maybe it should be a case of the same for everyone.Or maybe they should have someone to help them so they don't get themselves into that situation and don't blame the government for it when it's nobodys fault (and I mean nobodys at all).I don't think those with mental health issues should be missing out on the skill of monthly budgetting and planning tbh

I think you should do some research.

Manic episodes have got very little to do with "learning to budget".
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
    10.1K Posts
    lynzpower wrote: »
    I think you should do some research.

Manic episodes have got very little to do with "learning to budget".

I didn't say they did.
  • I have bipolar, but don't see the issue to been paid monthly. Most of my bills go out by DD monthly.

To avoid spending the money if not well, I have two sperate accounts. Once a month money is transfered to an account that I don't have a card or pin number for, and all my DD's come out of that. Quite simple really, even when very ill
    :j £2 coins = £2.00 :j
    25.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't say they did.

" I don't think those with mental health issues should be missing out on the skill of monthly budgetting and planning tbh"
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
    10.1K Posts
    lynzpower wrote: »
    " I don't think those with mental health issues should be missing out on the skill of monthly budgetting and planning tbh"

Not only does that NOT state that manic episodes are anything to do with budgeting but,if you had read what had been said previously,you would see that part of the reason I think it's a good idea is because it will give the monthly budgeting and planning skills that people will need when they move into work and will be helpful for them,later I stated that I don't think those with mental health issues should miss out on that.Not that it's in any way related,but that they shouldn't miss out on those skills just like others shouldn't.
    25.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only does that NOT state that manic episodes are anything to do with budgeting but,if you had read what had been said previously,you would see that part of the reason I think it's a good idea is because it will give the monthly budgeting and planning skills that people will need when they move into work and will be helpful for them,later I stated that I don't think those with mental health issues should miss out on that.Not that it's in any way related,but that they shouldn't miss out on those skills just like others shouldn't.

I read exactly what you meant, and you have confirmed it clearly above.

Please don't patronize people with mental illnesses who have manic episodes: its tantamount to patting someone on the head. Maybe we should round all mentally ill people up and give them an abacus, maybe you could show people how to use it?:cool:

Why would people who receive benefits "not be able to budget" and need to "learn the skill" many people know exactly how to budget but obviously cannot if for example, a manic episode takes hold.

This is why I suggested you read up on mania as clearly your understanding is basic at best.
    This Ive come to know...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals