MSE News: Government moves towards new monthly benefit system

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
183 replies 14.5K views

Replies

• More budgeting problems for us on Benefits and I think those on Benefits who are struggling to make ends meet need to be listened to and not preached at by those who don't have to live on benefits.
    Why is everyone on benefits stupid like?
    Budgeting really isn't that hard and funnily enough you wouldn't have any other option if you were actually in employment.
    I made a mistake once, believeing people on the internet were my virtual friends. It won't be a mistake that I make again!
  • I am so scared of the change the so call govenment are hopeing to apply. im severly disable, yep id love to work but they cant do anythig to help me. already iv cut down my food bill to bear bones. just to make sure i can pay my bills and debits on the days that i have allocted to each week when i get disabillity and i buy a bit of food, and fourtnightly, when i get my income support. to disrupt my and others lives would be a catastrofey, (soz cant spell well) depression dispair, and god nows what else it would lead to, but routine when you cant do much is all you have, i used to leave the house once a week for shopping. now cos i dont have enough money i go once a fortnight now. send the carrier for a couple of bits. so i can make sure i can pay my bills and debits. im worrying terribly about this already.( iv bought three kids up on my own, and that was so hard, and helped make me how i am now in all ways, , when you have kid you do what you have to do). I so dont understand why they have to mend certan things that arnt broken. so very worried. and i feel for all the other people that this will affect detrimentally. i can see mental health patients going up. check the people who need this to happen, check me , then leave me alone. iv been checked. they really dont no what they are going to end up with vunerable people, and familys. sort it out but properly. please
  • Why is everyone on benefits stupid like?
    Budgeting really isn't that hard and funnily enough you wouldn't have any other option if you were actually in employment.

Im on benefits, and the sentence

"Why is everone on benefits stupid like" does not make much sense.

It is not even using the English language correctly.

Stupid like what for example?
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • rogerblack wrote: »
    There is another issue.
    The royal mail lose 0.5% of letters the DWP send.
    Not infrequently, the first people hear of the DWP making a decision on their claim is that the money doesn't go into the account.
    If this change occurs, then by the time that's happened, for many, the time to appeal the decision will have lapsed.

Are you sure its the Royal Mail's fault? It could be another postal carrier who is to blame (the one DWP pays to take the post).

cit_k wrote: »

Oh the irony :D
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    17K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

:rotfl:Internet forum rule number 1: If you're going to slag someone off for their grammar/spelling/English, make sure you get it right yourself! :p
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    44.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "With 75% of people in work being paid monthly, ministers believe it is sensible that benefits are paid in the same manner, helping claimants to get used to managing their money and bills over a four week basis to smooth the transition into work," a DWP spokesman says.

Will it be 4 weeks or monthly, doesn't bode well.

• cit_k wrote: »

Perfect example, love.
    I made a mistake once, believeing people on the internet were my virtual friends. It won't be a mistake that I make again!
  • More budgeting problems for us on Benefits and I think those on Benefits who are struggling to make ends meet need to be listened to and not preached at by those who don't have to live on benefits.

If you really want to pull people up about their grammar etc etc there are plenty of examples here on this thread, yet you choose mine :D Did you think I was bashing benefits claimants? can't possibly do that when I'm one myself.

If you had actually read what I was replying to it may have helped you a little.
    More budgeting problems for us on Benefits
    I really find the above patronising, suggesting those of us on benefits can't budget. Being on benefits is probably one of the best ways to learn how to budget.
  • oldvicar wrote: »
    Are you sure its the Royal Mail's fault? It could be another postal carrier who is to blame (the one DWP pays to take the post).

I'm going from http://www2.royalmailgroup.com/sites/default/files/Quarterly_QOS_Report_to_Postcomm_Q1.pdf - 99.72% of mail delivered correctly. (.3% not), times a figure of letters posted per year by the DWP from the answer to a question in parliament.
  • NASA_2NASA_2 Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    I'm !!!!ed if i have a manic episode at the end of the month. I'll most likely end up spending it and have nothing to live on for the rest of the month. I'm going to have to give my cash card to my flatmate or something
    Surely even if you are paid twice a month (or so) then that is a risk?

Not a valid point IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals