MSE News: Government moves towards new monthly benefit system

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
183 replies 14.5K views

Replies

• wouldbeqaulitymoneysaverwouldbeqaulitymoneysaver Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sympathy [email protected]??? what you rather I got my Neo-Liberal Working Class Militant uniform on instead.
    FACT I and others will be mightily swearworded by this system which is just a ruse to make Ministers to look good rather than help us in any way.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • I really wish that mse wouldnt encourage these scarmongering stories they are becoming the internets equivilant of the daily mail!!

universal credits arent law yet,they may or may not become so,and even then the govt have said it will take some years to bring in

as for monthly payments some already are dla for one example(for most people),last year they changed some benefits (i/s for one)from weekly to fortnightly giving plenty of notice and the offer of one weeks benefit as an interest free loan repayable over 6 weeks.
    Anyone on benefits should do what i do and pay no attention to things that may happen after all we have enough problems dealing with stuff that actually is happening here and now
  • Indeed, universal credit is not even going through parliament for goodness knows how many years, the only solid thing about universal credit so far, is the pipe dream has cost the tax payer 2 billion pounds already.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FATBALLZ wrote: »
    Primary school level maths can be applied to resolve the problem.

I'm sure lots of people will whinge about this purely technical change, usually the same people who whinge about any government change to benefits (apart from above inflation increases to them). But managing money over a month is a simple and basic life skill that people should be able to do - and the government has an obligation to keep the system modern and cost effective. Those who can't handle the change should probably be in an institution anyway.

OK, so someone has a week's work. They aren't available for additional work in that week, but they are not paid until the following week (common with agencies). They declare the week when they sign on the following week, when they are paid. So there is one week actually working where benefit is not payable and one where it should be. They also have 3 days' work the following week and nothing the next. However, the JSA payroll went in two days after they signed on, so the payment at the end of the month, which would have to go in after the last day or it would affect the management (after all, salaried staff get paid on a specific date) and the calculation goes - not available on week 1 due to being at work and not eligible on week 2 due to receiving wages. Week 3 and 4 are missed because payroll has already gone.

At the end of the month, despite being out of money for 3 and a half weeks, what's the payment?

Now, think, at the same time, rent is due, council tax is due, bills are due, travelling to other jobs is necessary, childcare is needed to be paid for in advance......

Primary school maths is of less assistance to the person expected to live another month on next to nothing than a Red Cross parcel or psychic abilities in this situation.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of the people claiming would have been in institutions prior to the closure of most of them. So insulting them isn't going to help them when they are trying to multiply things by 52 (or 53, depending on what day the year begins on), divide by 12 and then factor in 28, 29, 30 or 31 day months, bank holidays and whether or not the other bills are worked out in this way.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • More budgeting problems for us on Benefits and I think those on Benefits who are struggling to make ends meet need to be listened to and not preached at by those who don't have to live on benefits.

Those that work and only get paid every month in arrears are able to budget. Those that are on benefits should have more free time to be able budget.

Perhaps the people who pay the benefits should be listened to more, as they are able to work, budget and provide income for others!
  • NASA wrote: »
    Worth bearing in mind that the government are also planning to remove crisis loan payments and if someone wishes to get payment at the start of a claim they can be paid an advance of benefit to be recovered over an agree period. Taken in conjunction with that the change mentioned above doesnt seem all that bad.

Aren't crisis loans not being scrapped, but localised?

Payment in advance is a great idea.
    If the benefit application is processed in a timely period.

At the moment, it takes 5 days for the DWP to even open their post and get it to the relevant department.

There is the another fun issue with universal credit. Tens of millions of people will be converted over to this benefit in the next few years, while CAB/... undergo a drastic reduction of funding, and legal aid for complex benefit cases is removed.
  • maginot wrote: »
    Those that work and only get paid every month in arrears are able to budget. Those that are on benefits should have more free time to be able budget.

Perhaps the people who pay the benefits should be listened to more, as they are able to work, budget and provide income for others!

sadly this is the kind of idiotic comment you get when mse post scare stories on this forum which is after all here to help people with benefit problems and not to discuss the rules
    if i had started this thread it would have been moved to DT hours ago
  • NASA_2NASA_2 Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Crisis Loans for 'alignment to benefit' are being scrapped under the proposals.

Payment in advance will only be for cases where benefit applications cant be processed straight away. It will be a form of interim payment.

As for Universal Credit, new claims arent going to be taken for more than two years, 'migration' will be done over the 4-5 years after that. Expect slippage on the dates as completely new systems are likely to be required. So that shouldnt be on anyones mind right now.
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maginot wrote: »

Don't people who work in the field tend to have a regular, non variable income that they know is definitely coming on the 27th of the month?

Benefits are paid in arrears as well. (and rent, council tax, phone and a lot of other bills are payable in advance) But when you can send a letter in answer to a question within 2 days of a request for information to the benefit office, get chased up a month later for not having sent it, speak to them on the phone to be told it wouldn't be dealt with for at least 6 weeks, so you had better send another copy in in case it's been lost, then get another letter 4 weeks after that making the decision on the basis that you have never replied to their original request, the idea that this will work because IDS says so, frankly, ridiculous.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaverwouldbeqaulitymoneysaver Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Us unemployed don't need additional pressures and weekly payments were better from a budgetary point of view. The Government shifting the Goal posts in terms of payments cause all manner of problems.
    Incidently I live in the high pressure environment of people with alcoholism, drug addiction, depression, schizophrenia etc. I have seen it done it and got the swearword t shirt. Please don't tell me I dont have a stressful environment and don't need comforts.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides