Yodel - shockingly bad - email address anyone?

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Joined Yodel as a neighbourhood courier, a quick 1.5hr training course and away, 25 parcels or there abouts a day delivered to your home. Instructions for delivery, but in all honesty when you work it out pays little more than £2 per hour for about 7 hours work, by the time you take fuel into account its not worth the hassle. Its a strange situation I am now realising hard working people have lost their jobs to be replaced by rank amateurs, not sure how long I will last, luckily I have other things to do.

This is the root cause of the problem, really, isn't it - and I do genuinely sympathize with people who are put into this position by Yodel and its billionaire (Daily Telegraph owning) owners the Barclay twins.

They get richer and richer, whilst the poor drivers get screwed, and Yodel neatly avoids the minimum wage legislation by the charade that they're self-employed, rather than employed.

Meanwhile, the end-consumer also gets screwed because the turnover of drivers is so high that Yodel's business is totally disfunctional.

The best bet would be an attack by HMRC on the legal status of the drivers to enforce the minimum wage legislation.
  • callistris
    Options
    I've got 2 totally different experiences with Yodel.

I usually get things shipped to my work address, due to nobody being at home during the day, and so far all of these deliveries arrive when stated on the website I've ordered from, with no problems.

However I'm at home this week and have placed a couple of orders to arrive at my home address. Both orders were stated as latest delivery date was 12/12/2011 which was Monday, they were both next day delivery items.
    Tracking on the site I ordered from showed the items were at my local Yodel place on 11/12/2011, neither item arrived on the Monday.
    Now Tuesday and I spot the Yodel van leaving my estate, with no delivery being made:mad:
    I phoned up the supplier stating I had paid for next day delivery, and the items should have arrived yesterday, to be informed the delivery dates are estimates (which no where on the site does it say this nor on any confirmation emails) and that I was not entitled to a refund of the delivery charge!!!
    I'm now waiting at home for a 3rd day for my items to arrive, so far nothing has turned up despite both my items as showing loaded on the van 12/12/2011
    Fair enough Im off work for a week using up some holiday, but I need to get out and do other things and waiting around the house for 3 days has seriously !!!!!! me off. I'm off to the airport tonight to fly to Scotland in the morning, bet I guess my items will arrive tomorrow when I'm not here:(
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    Well my parcel has failed to be delivered to myself or Boots so it is hardly an issue of waiting in.......They never got here so wait for what > god ?
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • newfoundglory
    Options
    Oh god, don't get me started on Yodel/HDNL.

It takes a lot to make me angry, and i'm as patient as they come.

Once again HDNL have screwed up my delivery from Amazon.

Should have been delivered yesterday, and was stuck somewhere in the HDNL chaos they call a delivery network.

Anyway, as its now almost 5 I suspect the driver will "run out of time" or "can't find the address" or claim the delivery was attempted.
  • Penny-less_2
    Options
    Have tracked some books ordered from Bookpeople and found that they arrived at Oldbury depot at 2.00pm and they are still there! I thought that they were at depot simply to be sorted not to be stored until they feel like delivering.......................
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Penny-less wrote: »
    Have tracked some books ordered from Bookpeople and found that they arrived at Oldbury depot at 2.00pm and they are still there! I thought that they were at depot simply to be sorted not to be stored until they feel like delivering.......................

you mean 2pm today?
  • Delivery_Driver
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    This is the root cause of the problem, really, isn't it - and I do genuinely sympathize with people who are put into this position by Yodel and its billionaire (Daily Telegraph owning) owners the Barclay twins.

They get richer and richer, whilst the poor drivers get screwed, and Yodel neatly avoids the minimum wage legislation by the charade that they're self-employed, rather than employed.

Meanwhile, the end-consumer also gets screwed because the turnover of drivers is so high that Yodel's business is totally disfunctional.

The best bet would be an attack by HMRC on the legal status of the drivers to enforce the minimum wage legislation.

I couldn't agree more, the whole self employed thing is just a massive scam.Yodel are currently closing even more depots in an attempt to get rid of more employed drivers, so expect to see a lot more of these service providers.
  • windofchange_2
    windofchange_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 December 2011 at 8:17PM
    Options
    This is an unbelievable situation, the parcels leave the main depot, are delivered to a satellite depot and then to the homes of the "neighbourhood couriers". By the time as a courier you have officially "received" them the morning is nearly over this seems like a system doomed to failure, in addition there seems to be little support for the courier who is effectively left to do as he/she sees fit. The thing is employed drivers have a loyalty to the company and see themselves as proffessionals in what they do, they have pride in their work, neighbourhood couriers have no affinity to the job or the company in the main are new to the role and unless they work 14hour per day will be lucky to recover their costs let alone make any money. One other thing I wager these "clever bods" have not thought of: in the bad weather snow etc vans can normally get through to deliver a parcel to a home but as for cars doing residential deliveries in the snow - well for 65p per parcel I think this will be a problem as will getting through especially if the courier lives at the top of a hill.
  • Penny-less_2
    Penny-less_2 Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 15 December 2011 at 5:33PM
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    you mean 2pm today?

Sorry - senior moment. Parcel arrived in depot on 12th and was still there on 14th! Apologies for confusion!:(
  • They get richer and richer, whilst the poor drivers get screwed, and Yodel neatly avoids the minimum wage legislation by the charade that they're self-employed, rather than employed.

I think you'll find the consumer driving prices down by shopping with the cheapest rather than retaining brand loyalty or making a choice more suited to their needs has caused large companies (such as Amazon) to screw the price they pay right down. The price drops and the service is going to suffer somewhere.

If you want better service be prepared to pay more for your goods instead of jumping from one retailer to another to shave 1% off a product's price tag.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure