🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sweet trees

Options

Comments

• morton91
    Options
    Can anyone recommend where to buy cheap plaster of paris online.
  • chaosweddings
    Options
    morton91 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend where to buy cheap plaster of paris online.

i buy mine from craftmill.co.uk
  • darkfaerie93
    Options
    hi - where has everyone been buying the vases/buckets from? I cant find them cheap anywhere!
  • lilyloula
    Options
    Hi there, can someone please help me with my choccie trees??!!! Trying to make a malteser one....have covered polystyrene ball in clingfilm and painted melted chocolate (just cheap bar milk choc from aldi), waited for this to harden then added a blob of melted choc to the malteser but only about 4 have stayed on....I had to give up before I launched the thing!!!!
    Is it because I haven't put a thick enough layer on at the start? Will it take me forever to make?? :(
    I'm also stressing as my little one is 2 next week so want to make a buttons one but not very hopeful!
  • I_am_mad
    I_am_mad Posts: 1,461 Forumite
    Options
    hi - where has everyone been buying the vases/buckets from? I cant find them cheap anywhere!

Ikea sell them quite cheaply x
    :jHas saved so much money since joining this forum, thanks to all you kind people out there :j
  • chococheese
    Options
    I wouldn't use cling-film, just paint a little chocolate on the ball and add a malteser or two, paint a bit more and add more. Do it bit by bit.
  • craftybazza
    Options
    I love making things and so I had a go last year to make some party table decorations for my daughters 9th birthday. I got all my bits and bobs online - there are lots of places selling the kit but I used Craftmill as they had all supplies i.e. the polyballs, dowels for the tree trunk, buckets, casting plaster, ribbons to decorate and the cocktail sticks to attach the sweets! After a few disasters when I did my first attempts, I found it best to use edible glue to hold it all together- if you dip each end of the cocktail stick in the glue, it holds the sweets onto the sticks at one end and also keeps the stick in place in the solid polyball at the other end. I first tried using 100mm polyballs and they were just too tiny so I used 150mm balls which had much more impact
  • Mummyp
    Mummyp Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I'm gonna attempt this for xmas to give as pressies! they look so good! i've pot some plant pots today, went to my garden centre and they had them reduced to £1 per pot.. and they were only dirty so may be worth a look there!

Also has anyone use superglue to glue the sweets (in wrappers) on or wouldn't this work? its only cus i havent got a glue gun and i know they sell it pretty cheaply in the poundshop..

if anyone can help i'd much appreciate it! :-)

thanks
  • jojoh_3
    jojoh_3 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    you can stick the wrapped sweets on with double sided dots or squares cut smaller, this is fine but not for heavy sweets.
    When i make my trees i use filler from the diy shop its cheaper and more readily available
  • faff
    faff Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    HI
    have a look round charity shops for containers, they have some very pretty ones , you would be surprised what you can find for 50 p !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport