Sweet trees

Options

Comments

• Purplebanban
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been using plaster to fill my pots, but after filling a few pots to use later, I went back to find mould growing on the top of the plaster!! Has anyone else had this problem?

I cant sell the sweet trees knowing mould may grow under the tissue paper if it is kept for a few days!!

Please help
  • crystal_fire
    crystal_fire Posts: 229 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2013 at 11:09PM
    Options
    Can anything other than cocktail sticks be used for ferrero rocher trees?

I don't like the idea of poking a hole (I know it's tiny) into the chocolate!

And how soon in advance can you make these?? (Would the cocktail stick make a difference? )

What's A good size ball that's not going to cost the earth to fill?
    :starmod:If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you:starmod:
  • crystal_fire
    Options
    Has anyone tried Lindt? If they're too hard for cocktail sticks Would you be able to use glue!?
    :starmod:If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you:starmod:
  • susan42
    susan42 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    Options
    I use glue on all my sweet trees . I only use sweets that are wrapped in paper.

I would think they'd last as long as the best before date on the chocolates

I've never had the issue with mould, I use plaster of Paris and have had one in the house since before Xmas 2012

Perhaps the issue is with the stick or what you used to stir it. Was there something in the pot before you used it?
    Challenge 2018 - Learn by heart the Book by Wayne Morgan on Amazon - Betfair Football Trading as it helps to supplement my small income :beer:
  • jojoh_3
    Options
    I have been making sweet trees for years using a glue gun. This year I have made sweet wreaths and used glue dots from the craft shop. They are fine on wrapped sweets .
  • buddiebabe
    buddiebabe Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help me. I've been making sweetie trees for Christmas presents but I've just looked at one that has been wrapped and it has mould growing on it :( I made it using a wooden dowel and plaster of paris in a metal bucket. Any ideas of what im doing wrong??

Thanks
    Buddiebabe x
    DEBT OUTSTANDING 23.04.17 £16802.97
  • jojoh_3
    jojoh_3 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    When you say gone mouldy, where has this happened?. I always use filler from homebase to fix mine into the bucket and a polystyrene ball. have never had any mould on any.
  • buddiebabe
    buddiebabe Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Jojoh it's around the bottom of the wooden dowel and on the palate of Paris :( had to bin them last night as the mould had went up the dowel to the ball
    DEBT OUTSTANDING 23.04.17 £16802.97
  • susan42
    susan42 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    Options
    Bubble babe it's the sticks that's the problem. They treted with something that reacts with the mix

There's two ways you can do it , coat the stick in a good waterproof vanish or place the stick in a plastic bag doubles nd make sure the stick doesn't touch the mix , where the plastic bag comes up above the mix cover with ribbon
    Challenge 2018 - Learn by heart the Book by Wayne Morgan on Amazon - Betfair Football Trading as it helps to supplement my small income :beer:
  • Msrainbow
    Options
    Hi guys, I am new here :) I have been reading this thread with interest as I want to make candy trees.

I haven't seen one in person, so please excuse my daft questions.

1.Can the entire wrapped sweet be pulled off or do people just take the sweet out of the glued wrapper?

2. What about rounded ball wrapped chocolates where you would glue the bottom in the middle part, where you would normally open it? I guess a good example would be creme eggs whereas with Lindt balls at least you have the ends you can glue instead.

3. With the Ferrero Rochers. Do you use glue inside their little cases as well to keep them held in?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure